Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
[Old Thread] Calibre will not install

I uninstalled Calibre 0.6.29 - a clean uninstall as far as I can tell - in order to install 6.31 (sometimes the install seems to work better when I uninstall first; I do this periodically, about every fifth version or so), but now Calibre will not install at all. It gets to the end of "copying files" and then begins rolling back; then I get an error message that Calibre was unable to finish installation, no further explanation. I tried installing 6.31, 6.30, 6.29 - none of the versions will install, despite the fact that I've had Calibre successfully installed for a long time now and have never had a problem with installation or operation.

This is making me very unhappy, needless to say. Any suggestions? I'm on Windows XP.
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
make sure the folder c:\Program Files\Calibre2 is deleted after the uninstall
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I couldn't live without Calibre (!!), so I just restored my system to earlier in the day, before my uninstall. So I'm back to 0.6.29, which opens and operates correctly.

But now when I try to install 0.6.31 (without uninstalling 6.29 first), I'm getting precisely the same error: at the end, after "Copying New Files" completes, the install begins "Rolling Back Action," and then I get the message: "Calibre Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified." Obviously I'm not going to delete the calibre2 folder in this case, since 6.29 is still installed, and I don't want to lose it until/unless I'm relatively certain I have a solution.

Any other thoughts as to what might be the cause of this? Same thing happens if I try to install 6.30 over 6.29. Rebooting doesn't change anything (nor, obviously, did restoring my system to the pre-uninstall state). I'm getting concerned - Calibre is one of my most used applications and the thought that something might be wrong with it or that I might not be able to install future versions makes me very anxious!

BTW: I've had no difficulty installing 6.30 and 6.31 freshly onto a brand new laptop, and on an older laptop, I just successfully updated from an earlier version - probably 6.25 or so - to 6.31, with no problem. So clearly there's something specific to my main system that's causing this installation error, despite the fact that Calibre 6.29 is still opening and running just fine - but I would definitely appreciate some guidance in figuring out what it might be and how to fix it. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is most liekly a problem with something in your calibre2 folder. If you are concerned about losing it, I would suggest renaming it instead.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
jesscat
Groupie

I tried renaming the Calibre2 folder to something else, and then tried the installation again. Same exact problem. The new installation created a new Calibre2 folder, but then deleted it as part of the rollback; the new installation failed (afterwards I changed the name of the renamed folder back to Calibre2, and 6.29 is still working). So unless you meant something else, this is not the problem - there is something else going on.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm out of ideas, sorry. Windows problems are pretty much impossible to debug. Stick with 29 for the moment.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I am using 0.6.29 also and I too can't seem to install 0.6.31 eitther. My issues are different. I have downloaded directly from Calibre and have even tried from the Sourceforge location without success. Either it says it isn't a valid Windows Installer or hangs forever on "Computing Space Requirements". I don't think I am getting the complete file. Every time I download the file size ends up at 27.88 megs and should be 29.2.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What're you using to download the file?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What're you using to download the file?
I appreciate the response.

Running Windows XP. I downloaded using Firefox as "Save File", tried Firefox "Down Them All" extension and finally via IE8.

It took a LONG time to install but it did. Long delay on the "Computing Space Requirement" screen, then clicking "Next" produced a smaller screen regarding finishing computing space requirements, and finally hung on the last screen for sometime before completing. It took 15 minutes to install.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
jesscat
Groupie

I fixed my problem by restoring my system to an earlier state, from soon after when I installed 6.29 (I back up very regularly and have windows and installed applications on a separate partition from documents & settings, etc., so this is fairly easy for me to do). It would still be nice to know what the problem was, but at least it's working now and hopefully will continue to do so.

My issue clearly is not the same as URwhatUR's. However, it might be worth noting that for a while now, my Calibre msi installations over the top of existing Calibre installations (as opposed to installing freshly after an uninstall) take an inordinately long time to get past the "computing space requirements" screen for me as well. I used to think something was wrong, and I'd cancel the installation, uninstall my existing Calibre, and start over; now I just wait and eventually the install will proceed - but it takes a ridiculous amount of time.

This was not always the case. I can't identify when it started happening, but I think it was some time around the time of the switch from exe to msi installers. I've never experienced this on any other application installation - and again, it only happens when I'm installing a new version of Calibre over an existing one. When I uninstall Calibre before installing the new version, there is no delay.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The large amounts of time are because of the design of MSI installers, they sit and compare each unversioned file in the old and new installs, and since calibre has a lot of unversioned files (python scripts and recipes), it takes a long time. Basically MSI installers, like most Microsoft tech, are really badly designed.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
jesscat
Groupie

Okay, this is good to know - I won't worry about it then.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
uRwhatUr
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
Okay, this is good to know - I won't worry about it then.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
laura1234
laura1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, iphone
I was having the same problem as jesscat. I spent several hours troubleshooting and finally figured out the problem was in adding the desktop shortcut. I then tried the install, disabling the shortcuts, and it worked. Hopefully this helps anyone else with this install/upgrade issue.
laura1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
Got it...and she was right!

I can verify what the above poster said about disabling the shortcuts. I had tried to install the last two versions of Calibre (as of Sept 19th, 2011) and neither of them would complete. At the end, just as it got to setting up shortcuts, it would roll back the actions saying Calibre was unable to install due to an error.

I found her post from last year, and this time when I installed I selected the 'Advanced' options and in the dropdown list for shortcuts--both desktop and start menu--I unchecked them. Finally Calibre completed installation and opened right up.
I should be able to create my own shortcuts if I need them, but this is a relief.
Good call...
-Chris
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote