Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
ION Book Saver Cancelled

I don't know how many MobileRead members were waiting for the ION Book Saver as anxiously as I was. I was hoping that we'd finally hear an announcement at CES next week, after waiting a whole year. Alas, right on the eve of CES, I got the following email:

Quote:
January 5, 2012

As a valued customer, we wanted to inform you that Ion Audio will not be moving forward with production of the BookSaver. We pride ourselves on supplying our customers with a quality product at a reasonable price, and this item has failed to meet our expectations. We do have a limited quantity of other scanning products in our current line that may meet your needs – the DocuScan and the CopyCat. Please call us at 888-800-0681 and we will provide a 20% discount should you decide to place an order.

Debra Sturdevant-Toher
eCommerce Supervisor
InMusic Sales
I guess I'll be sending my out-of-print books to 1DollarScan or a similar service after all.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Unhappy

I was looking forward to it too but their site has new-speak-ed all references to this product from their site apart from the 2011 announcement. Shame about that. I am happy I didn't wait and went with 1dollarscan - hope they stay fine.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I too was very anxiously awaiting the BookSaver.
Looks like I'll have to go ahead and construct the DIY two digital camera thingy. Boo on you Ion.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Following a google search, there appear to be a number of online vendors who are still selling it for $149US. I'm very tempted to order one, but the biggest red flag for me is that I've not seen any mention of dpi output in any of the articles or youtube videos featuring this device.

Online stores selling it:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7hs3n2k
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
Following a google search, there appear to be a number of online vendors who are still selling it for $149US. I'm very tempted to order one, but the biggest red flag for me is that I've not seen any mention of dpi output in any of the articles or youtube videos featuring this device.

Online stores selling it:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7hs3n2k
Personally, as this item isn't being released by ION, I'd be very tempted to forget it...

Many outlets list forthcoming items and take a long time to update their sites if things get cancelled... an offer to sell doesn't mean it exists...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Our technician is quite good at building things and not very busy lately. Perhaps I should have him make one.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Well I ordered one from one of those sites; we'll see if it arrives or if I get a 'can't fill' notice.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Well I ordered one from one of those sites; we'll see if it arrives or if I get a 'can't fill' notice.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
didiee
didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.didiee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
did anyone ever receive one?
didiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiee View Post
did anyone ever receive one?
Bit difficult... the thread title is accurate...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
I expect this tool from January 2010, I think...
BUT WAIT! It is still offered on ION AUDIO dutch site, 149 euros, "Available Mid June 2012"...
more here
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbait View Post
I expect this tool from January 2010, I think...
BUT WAIT! It is still offered on ION AUDIO dutch site, 149 euros, "Available Mid June 2012"...
more here
That's correct. I've preordered that one a few days ago.

For those not familiar with dutch (or google translate), the dutch division/official dutch reseller of ION (from now on d-ION) is giving the order to produce the book saver.
The HQ flunked the project, because the software is not sufficient.
d-ION believes that the book saver has potential and there are plenty of (very) good and free software available already.

So they are going to sell the book saver in Europe. There were some modifications made, and now the factory has said that it'd be ready for shipping around june 20th.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
Goed nieuws!
I predict a huge commercial success for this baby
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I don't know. I'm afraid the camera's might be bad. But I guess I'll see for myself in 2 months.

Thing is, it's hard to create a compact non-destructive DIY-book scanner. If you look at http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/ you'll see a lot of ingenious devices. But they are all extremely bulky. And they have a "sliding-center" problem.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Hmmmm, I'm a bit of a camera nut, and used to collect Minox cameras. One interesting Minox accessory is the adjustable copy stand, and it looks a lot like the ION setup. Maybe I should break it out...
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote