Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Text "Fades" in direct Sunlight

I have increasingly been experiencing the phenomena of the text gradually breaking up when exposed to direct sunlight. This does not occur with indirect or oblique rays, but seems to occur within 15-30 minutes of direct exposure and quickly deteriorates on subsequent page turns to the point where the text is illegible. Shutting off the unit and restarting cures the situation, only for it to return shortly thereafter.

My initial thought is that the substrate must be heating up in direct sunlight (outside temperature does not seem to be a factor as this has happened in 80F and 65F). It has not happened in bright artificial light.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this or is my unit unique?

I find myself shading the reader while enjoying the salubrious climate at the Beach.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Happened to me a few times when i took the reader to the beach. I was holding it over my head with the screen facing down when the contrast of the page I was reading suddenly dropped by 90 percent. I guess the added heat changes the properties of the fluid in the screen.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
I've seen the same thing, although it refreshes quickly if you put it pack in the shade.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have found that the display slowly fades if you leave the Reader with the screen on, but I've not experienced the sunlight thing. Perhaps it's never sunny enough in the UK for it to be a problem .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I have found that the display slowly fades if you leave the Reader with the screen on, .
I get that all the time too. click the next page and it's all nice and bright once again
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Haven't noticed it...but then it's only spring here so I'll have to see what happens this summer!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I don't think the time of year matters...... lay the reader down and on and go do something for 10 minutes, come back and see how the screen looks sort of dull, then turn a page and notice how much more bright it is.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
awheelhouse
awheelhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T3
Sunlight problem

Hi,

I've just noticed the same thing, yesterday in Toronto. It was very warm (20c) and sunny, and the text fades and becomes less disctint from the background. It does not get better with a page turn, the only thing that fixes it is being in the shade, even just partial shade. I find it harder to read when it does this, I'm a little disappointed.

Andrew
awheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
friendly
Banned
friendly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / iPad
fading letters

Here in Germany the weather is exceptionally sunny for the time of the year. And yes, I experienced the same phenomenon: fading letters, when exposure to direct sunlight. My kingdom for UK's weather. ;-))
Friedhelm
friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Can't say I've ever taken mine outside to read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awheelhouse
Hi,

I've just noticed the same thing, yesterday in Toronto. It was very warm (20c) and sunny
Is 20c very warm for Toronto usually, or just really warm for May? Just curious.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly
Here in Germany the weather is exceptionally sunny for the time of the year. And yes, I experienced the same phenomenon: fading letters, when exposure to direct sunlight. My kingdom for UK's weather. ;-))
Friedhelm
Ha!

We're getting this hot weather too - it's been sunny and in the low 20s for about the last two weeks now.

They are forecasting a change in the weather today, though, with rain for much of the next week.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
awheelhouse
awheelhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T3
Toronto Weather

I've not experienced Toronto in May before, just later in the year, but it does get pretty warm in summer.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...ges/C02017.htm

According to the above link 18c is the average maximum for May, today's forecast is for 25c!

I'll be outside testing my reader in sunlight! :-)
awheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just had my reader in the sunlight and it starts to fade very quickly. Have a look at the attached photo to see what I mean. Anyway, is there something that can be done about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060108.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	3858  
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
I'm guessing the viscocity of the pixels thins as they heat and the white/black particles drifter faster than usual. My Sony gradually drifts in that direction until the one-hour shut-down. Anybody got experience with hot readers out of direct sunlight? Say, left in the car?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
My CC & Grundig 350 radio displays do the same thing.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote