Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
How do I rename a library?

How do I rename a library so it will show up properly in calibre and its menus?

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Close Calibre and rename the Library folder using an OS level rename function. When you next use Calibre you will need to tell it to use the new folder.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Thanks, Jeannie and itimpi, I needed this answer too. I mistyped a name when adding a new library and it was driving me crazy.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Thanks, Jeannie and itimpi, I needed this answer too. I mistyped a name when adding a new library and it was driving me crazy.
Well, this mean old bat didn't find it so easy. I closed calibre and renamed the folder. When I reopened calibre, the listing for the old library name was still there. I linked the new library name then opened it and it had everything the old one had in it. I opened the old library name and it showed nothing. I went to the folder and folders with both the old folders and the renamed one were there. The old one was empty except for the metadata file. Weird. I deleted the old one, then reopened calibre, went into preferences and opened the configuration directory, the closed calibre. I edited out the old library name from the history.plist and closed it. I reopened calibre and the misbegotten old library name was still there. I clicked on it and calibre locked up. I couldn't get rid of it with Windows Task Manager so I had to do a reboot to clear things up (in all fairness, I have been doing some massive file transfers, editing, etc. the past few days, so it was past due for a reboot). Once rebooted, I checked the folder where I keep my e-books and the old folder was still gone. I opened calibre and the old folder name was still there. This time, when I clicked on the old filename, I got a window saying calibre couldn't find the old folder and would delete the entry, which is what I wanted.

There has to be an easier way!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
There is! Use Linux.

capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
There is! Use Linux.

Right. Repeat after me, "Jeannie is not a Geek!" Truth be told, much of calibre is over my head, as are computers in general.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Seriously, is there an easier way to change or delete a library name or should I put in a ticket? Was this a bug, bad luck, or a need for enhancement?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Why not just specify a new Location with the right name, using the GUI. Have Calibre move all books there when it is created. Use the option "Move current library to new location."

Could be a good idea to check that the old library is gone, to make sure you don't have any orphan books.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the issue was not about using the New library, but that the fact that Calibre tends to have remembered the old library location in various parts of the GUI and therefore continues to display it as an option which can be a little confusing.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think the issue was not about using the New library, but that the fact that Calibre tends to have remembered the old library location in various parts of the GUI and therefore continues to display it as an option which can be a little confusing.
That and getting rid of the old listing, especially when calibre replaces the renamed folder with a new empty folder (except for an empty metadata file) with the old filename.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
irrationalJohn
irrationalJohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up I agree. Multiple library support needs further work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Agreed! I've looked for but have not found a "Rename Library" and/or "Delete Library" function in Calibre. I expected to find them. I'm guessing the author didn't have time to include them as part of the initial "library enhancements" he added.

Before anyone adds a problem report for this, I suggest you search for an existing one. The author might have already logged this as a problem that needs to be resolved in a future update.

-irrational john
irrationalJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All you have to do is rename the folder, point calibre to the new folder, then click once on the old library name in the switch library menu. Since the old folder no longer exists, when you click on it, calibre will delete the entry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
irrationalJohn
irrationalJohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All you have to do is rename the folder, point calibre to the new folder, then click once on the old library name in the switch library menu. Since the old folder no longer exists, when you click on it, calibre will delete the entry.
While it no doubt seems like a simple and fool proof procedure to you, you are after all the developer and thus not completely objective.

As someone already mentioned above, this does not always work reliably. Sometimes ... and I have no idea when or why ... Calibre does not remove the reference to the old library. Instead an "empty" database is created in the "old" directory.

To approach this from another direction, if it's so "simple", why not just add "Rename Library" and "Delete Library" functions to Calibre? How hard could it be?

-irrational john
irrationalJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
new empty folder (except for an empty metadata file) with the old filename.
This is a by-product of starting Calibre while it was still pointing to the old location. In such an empty library is created at that location.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@irrational john

I was pointing out the correct way to rename libraries in the current calibre release. If you want a rename library feature, open a ticket requesting it, better yet, submit a patch implementing it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote