Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
wdonne
ISV
wdonne began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Creating an online Stanza catalog

Hi,

Setting up an online Stanza catalog is very easy with Pincette. In fact every folder in Pincette is a searchable Stanza catalog. Have a look at http://www.pincette.biz/pincette/features/stanza.xhtml.

Best regards,

Werner.
wdonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Nice to have news about the app. A bit more information might be in order, though. Windows? Mac? Linux? etc.

Likewise, with only one post (and that a link to an app) it would be appropriate to disclose your connection to the product, if any.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
hmmm 10 euro a month just to have a stanza catalogue..
I could do the same thing with dropbox and calibre2opds for free
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
wdonne
ISV

Pincette is a cross-platform online document management service. The Stanza catalog is just one of its features. More information is on http://www.pincette.biz/. Give the demo a go or have a look at the screen casts.

An architectural element of Pincette is that it supports filters in its I/O channels, for documents as well as folder, which is what the catalog feature is making use of. Soon there will be another e-book feature to employ this: integrated conversion of ODF to ePub. You will be able to copy an ODF-file to a folder that is used as a Stanza catalog. Stanza will see this file as an ePub file.

Werner.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
It looks useful. The architecture is neat. Integrated conversion is also awesome. Price is probably a fair bit off-range for someone looking for either (a) just lots of disk space or (b) a place to put their books, so you really need to take care that you get your message right. I'm not sure who your intended customer is; though I suspect that the iPhone and iPad folks are perfect candidates. I've always wondered why we didn't design more devices around remote storage...I don't need 64GB on my iPad if I have 400GB remote that I can stream.

I almost plopped down $50 a year to google for 200GB recently, so that I could have a place to store and view my files from the internet. Then I realized I'd have to upload anything but photos by hand, which would be too tedious. That, and only photos would be easy to view and download.

I'm already paying $120 a year for 300GB of generic web hosting (which I'm using for 4 or 5 sites), but they don't allow me to run private daemons (e.g., calibre-server). If they did, I'd be set for stanza. I certainly didn't need 300GB, but it was part and parcel the process.

Werner, your website is doing some good things, but most of the screenshots are too small to depict what is going on in them, and the text too terse to really get an idea of the kind of things Pincette lets you do. I suspect this is a language thing - I recognize the characteristic stiffness and odd diction that comes from translating a site. The videos in the howto section have beautiful reflections, but having more text with each video would help the user decide if they really want to watch it or not. This may be just me, but in general, I almost always eschew videos in favor of text and screenshots, because I prefer to multi-task. I would not watch a video demo unless I absolutely had to.

The features section is a great list, but the low saturation of the website in general damages a customer's level of excitement with the product (and willingness to slog through 20 distinct and complete page loads). You need to put a few more explicit examples on the home page (with bright colors and screenshots) which really explain to your customers why they need your filesystem as opposed to a generic internet backup service, time machine backup, or external hard drive. In general, your site is just too bland to really pull in an interested customer - at least it is for me.

15 yard penalty for unnecessary harshness?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
wdonne
ISV

Hi Nikkie,

It isn't harsh at all. I think you are spot on. My profile doesn't fit website design and product communication. I know I need a professional for that, but it hasn't been possible yet. Basically, I'm a technical guy facing the next big step, which is a lot more difficult than creating software from where I stand.

Your comments are very much appreciated!

Best regards,

Werner.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can get a free account at http://txr.com and using the txtr app, you can download your ePub eBooks to your iPhone/iPod Touch. All this is free. Plus, the txtr app does support Adept DRM if you want/need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote