Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Screen quality different on red and silver PRS-505?

I'm just wondering for those who have both the red and silver 505, do you notice a different in screen contrast on both readers? When I noticed the different in contrast on mine, I thought it was just an illusion - but after fooling around with both readers for a day, I'm pretty sure the screen on my red 505 is not as clear as my silver's. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else's reader. Cheers. :)
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've heard heard this more than once, I've not compared them myself however
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hey, it's the holidays! It's a perfect excuse to waste some time. Get a piece of black cardboard, and cut out two screen-sized holes, hiding the cases. Then, enlist two friends to help you perform a double-blind test to determine whether you can tell the difference from the screens alone.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the suggestion curtw. (:

I've tried comparing both under sunlight and they do have different contrast. The words on my red 505 seems more gray'ish and faded while the silver one is more crisp and clear. I'm not sure if it's a defective product or it is just the firmware difference. The red one has a slightly newer firmware when compared to the silver's.

Should I try downgrading the firmware on my red 505?

Last edited by snowcandy; 12-04-2009 at 01:07 AM.
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I doubt it's anything to do with the firmware. Each individual eInk screen is "tweaked" for contrast by the factory. It sounds as if one of your screens has not been as well adjusted as the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, this is most likely to be sheer coincidence, as Harry says. You'd probably find different contrast quality if you were to compare the display of two 505s of the same case colour. Interesting, though, Snow: I didn't realise that each individual device was independently adjusted pre-sale. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote