Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M92?
I would encourage a friend to buy the device 23 62.16%
I don't know / I'm confused / I'd wait 6 16.22%
I would discourage a friend from buying the device 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #46
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Returning back to M92 - why can't they make it in gray color matching that Perl screen?
That should be the #1 color for any reader, always available.
Especially for 5" and 6" ones.
But so many makers of e-readers do not get it.
I am really mad at Sony for stupid T1 colors. They put a much better light gray color on the back of the white one, not on the front side.

PF4Mobile,

I think 7.1" on PRS 950 had a different width/hight ratio: it still had the width of the 6" screen, just more lines of text.
So it can be considered also 6".

I would love to have a real 7".

kamizase,

Yes, it is possible to have the text length as in most books on 6", but reading with almost no margins is not too comfortable. Perhaps 8.2 cm with 4 mm margins is acceptable, it still is in the real printed book territory, I have such books, although most are 8.5-9.1 cm or so.

Another possibility: to use landscape mode on 6", but with one column of text, not two
Then, if you set margins 1.5 cm, you get 9.1 cm for text, or with margins 1.7 cm - 8.8 cm text.
Even after leaving comfortable top/bottom margins, I get in landscape 22-17 lines of text, depending on the font size.
In my printed books, font sizes vary from 20 to 25, but the length of the line of text does not seem to depend on the font size too much.

Last edited by parkher; 02-16-2012 at 05:00 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #47
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
My 8 inch iRex DR800 was great for reading and now my parents use it for the very same purpose. I wanted something for academic reading, so I bough Boox M92.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #48
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

catharsis,

I should have gotten it too.
8" is the perfect size for books.
I was waiting and waiting for a plastic reader for years.
I thought I would break a glass one the same day.
Finally I gave up waiting. Too late for DR800 though.

How does its screen compare to Perl of M92?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #49
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
"to simulate an open paper book" - why in heaven would anyone want that?
Is there any practical purpose for that?
I was just describing how it would look like, to make sure I am understood properly this time. Not that I have intends to "simulate a book"...

parkher
That grey borders reader isn't a bad idea actualy, but I am afraid the sellers usualy want to hide the fact that eink isn't quite white as paper and a grey border wouldn't appeal as much to most buyers.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
parkher
Evangelist

I think I had some gray adhesive tape somewhere. I could try to fix the color if I can find it.
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #51
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
catharsis,

I should have gotten it too.
8" is the perfect size for books.
I was waiting and waiting for a plastic reader for years.
I thought I would break a glass one the same day.
Finally I gave up waiting. Too late for DR800 though.

How does its screen compare to Perl of M92?
I did not have both devices side by side to compare them, but the Pear screen feels blacker. Sometimes I read using LED lamp, and there is no big difference between both devices.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #52
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
The sizes of screens used in e-readers is strange.

6" - a little bit too small for books
9.7" - too large for books, too small for pdf documents.

So the sizes should be:

8" - 8.25" for books
14.3" for A4 documents

I realize that 14.3", if made of glass, might break easily. It should be plastic or metal foil
12" is the best they can do for you

http://www.eink.com/concept_showcase_12inch_reader.html

I am thinking about buying a developer kit ...these might come in bigger sizes
Now the question is ..are there any chances to connect one of these to ...what..a PC (no way) or an retail ereader like M92?
I have no idea about the hardware architecture of an ereader. Have you guys seen any docs regarding this?
I vaguely remember that I read that the eInk display can be cut in any size. Now..what is included in a developer kit is the interesting part.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #53
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
"to simulate an open paper book" - why in heaven would anyone want that?
Is there any practical purpose for that?
It may be handy to see two pages at once. There might be piture/diagram/formula on one page and accompaniing text on another. If the book is 'printed' with the reader in mind, then two pages of open book may be considered as one 'piece'. Putting all info needed on two pages of open book impies no problem to the reader. Putting it on two consequetive pages you cannot see together means the reader has to flip the pages back and forth... Not convenient.

So possibility to see two pages at e-reader, side by side might be of great utility for some types of texts.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #54
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Putting it on two consequetive pages you cannot see together means the reader has to flip the pages back and forth... Not convenient.

So possibility to see two pages at e-reader, side by side might be of great utility for some types of texts.
Some books(art/travel/magazines) have even panorama pictures, I know.
Given the limitations of the ereaders right now to display one page of a PDF sufficiently ...
But I think the OP was referring to epubs.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #55
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
It may be handy to see two pages at once. There might be picture/diagram/formula on one page and accompanying text on another. If the book is 'printed' with the reader in mind, then two pages of open book may be considered as one 'piece'. Putting all info needed on two pages of open book implies no problem to the reader. Putting it on two consecutive pages you cannot see together means the reader has to flip the pages back and forth... Not convenient.

In such a case it would also be nice to have an option to go only one page forward or back so that the figure and text show at the same time. That is one of my frustrations with real books and another potential advantage for electronic books.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote