Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lightbulb There is light in the tunnel...

Months after months I've been telling you that I was working on our new site - without showing any promising results. Part of it was that I was too occupied with my real-life work. Another part was that I was unsatisfied (not to say frustrated!) a) with my own progress on the web site and b) with the designer(s) I tried to find (one even tried to screw me over, thank you very much ).

So after a break or two, I had to bite the bullet. The last few nights I spent most of my time to get as much done with the new site as possible. I am sure there are still a few tweaks here and there to be made, but overall I think the new site is pretty much ready to be released to the public.

Some of the new features that are already in place:

- A new frontpage article system which allows editors to bring interesting articles to the frontpage (I will write more about this feature tomorrow)
- RSS feeds from other excellent sources (can be selectively turned on/off)
- A Link Directory (which is written and installed, but not yet filled) - any volunteers?
- A Chat system that allows us to have schedule meetings for real-time chats
- A Games Arcade which allows you to have some bright moments at your work place and also to compete against your fellows
- A Mobile version which allows you to browse the full forum and to make new posts with your mobile device (a Avantgo-like version will be in place in the next few days)
- something else I forgot?

As always, I am open to your criticism, suggestions and other kind of comments (please just allow me to have a full night of sleep for once ).

I heartly recommend that you visit our new Community Help thread, where you can regularly find new valuable information how to make your stay here more enjoyable (I will add more FAQ items in the next days). Also, please take some minutes to introduce yourself if you haven't done so yet.

Best Regards,
Alexander
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I am ... speechless!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I Like!!!!!

Very good work Alex!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I am ... speechless!
Me too!

Peace,

David
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
So you're going to send me the name and address of this web designer so that my Uncle Vinny can have a nice chat, right?

Seriously Alex, once again, you've blown us all away. Thank you so much for all the hard work and effort you put into this site.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sunshine, thanks for the offer - I don't know your Uncle, but he sounds pretty scary The person who called himself a designer decided to drop it after he continuously harassed me asking to pay for something he didn't even do.

Thanks for all your nice comments. I am still ironing out a few last things. After that, I hope to make some louder advertisement of our new site
Old 05-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Alex,

Beautiful just beautiful...Mobile read is going to be the one place for all my content from now on. Love the side bar with all of my palm news. Love it Love it Love it. Going to make the tunnel image a background for my zire 71. Good work!
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

thanks zire71man All your nice comments are HIGHLY appreciated!

PS: I put a higher-res version of the tunnel imagine online for you, please tell me when you have it, so I can delete it again (takes up valuable space). http://www.turcic.com/tunnel.jpg
Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #9
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Alex,

Great just great. I just need a 320 by 320 pic so that I can use it as a megalauncher background. I downloaded the pic. Could you leave it up until the end of tomorrow so that I can download it at work? Please
Old 05-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks you Alex and Team for all your hard work! Now it is definitely the time to get this place more populated

My respect,
Tad
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:40 AM   #11
Gnam
Gnam began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X30 & Palm TE
Congratulations!

Love the new format and content of the site Alex - thanks for all the effort!

Gnam
Gnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Hello Alex:

I commend you on a job well done, I don't think that you can get better than this. Yes, I too have had bad experiences with those web designers who think they own the world.

No worries, you have done justice for everyone.

Churchill-Never Never Never give up!

dillon

Last edited by dillon65; 05-14-2004 at 10:13 AM.
dillon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #13
dgoeg
dgoeg began at the beginning.

Very good work, Alexander!
You've got my respect.

Yet, I feel a little bit lost. Very crowded. But probably I just need more time to get used to the new style.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.
Keep up the good work!
dgoeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks guys. dgoeg, I know what you mean... I am trying to make the site more accessible by writing some more mini-tutorials.

Next big step is to allow members to become frontpage editors
Old 05-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #15
Zire
Fanatic

Here is a background ready to convert...

Hey All,

Decided to make a background for megalauncher and supplied a pic so you can convert yourself.

My background:

320 by 320 background: