Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
kut
kut began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle 3 got kneed . fixable ?

My kindle 3 was lying on the bed, when a 5 year old accidentally put her knee on it. There was a loud crack sound and now the kindle doesn't function. Except the bottom left corner still worked whole screen became unresponsive .

That was 2 days ago. Now the whole screen is completely frozen . But the mp3 player and audible files continue to work. It also takes charge. How fixable does this sound ? Would it be a good idea to disassemble it and see ?

The only visible damage is hairline crack near the bottom right corner of the screen.
kut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Call Amazon's Kindle support and tell them exactly what happened.

They may surprise you with a replacement or they may offer you a refurbished one at reduced cost.

Worst case you will get an idea on repair cost.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've broken the glass substrate of the screen - the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It wouldn't surprise me if Amazon just replaces it outright.

But, at the very least, give them a jingle and see what they have to say.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
kut

The thing is I am in India and recieved the kindle as a gift , so sending the kindle and getting a replacement is difficulty unlikely.

Quote:
You've broken the glass substrate of the screen - the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen.
sounds about right . But do you think this could be repaired at home ?
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kut View Post
But do you think this could be repaired at home ?
I think that it is highly unlikely.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Kut, very sorry to hear that!
A broken Kindle can not be repaired, but my Kindle 3 also broke when I was outside of the US and they shipped me a replacement.

They only could ship it to the US, as the one I have (special offers edition) is only available there, otherwise they would even have shipped me one in Germany from the German amazon subsidiary, where I live. So a friend had to bring it for me from the US. Definitely call Kindle support (NOT the normal Amazon support)!!! They did not require me to send in the broken one, they just de-activated it online.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
kut

Thanks Andy, I'll contact kindle support. I do have a sister in America, who could revieve and send the kindle.