Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Just curious...

What d'ya really use for tablet for?

I'd say 90% of my use is simple surfing, e-mail, and the daily (normally) crossword puzzle.

Occasionally, I stream video (sometimes while shaving, or if there's two important soccer matches on at the same time and I can find a live stream) plus internet radio. And SuperNote which I got for free from Asus. Plus a couple of sports apps, NFL + PGA stuff.

I used it as a reader but didn't like it. I played the obligatory Angry Birds which was fun for about two hours then, meh.

I'd guess that most people I know, at least those over 21, have pretty similar habits. A bit more gaming maybe.

Even though this is in the android forum, I'd like to hear from other OS users as well.

Last edited by VaporPunk; 04-24-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Replaced under with over. Not with it the other day. :)
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
My hubby bought a motorola xoom that I have taken over and I use it for surfing the net and reading. I have the kindle app, kobo and cool reader. I haven't used my Kobo Touch in about 2 or so weeks.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Mostly surfing and email. Some YouTube and Netflix when I'm just trying to fall asleep. It's too heavy for reading so the only stuff I read on it are the ones I can't read on smaller devices - comics, magazines and textbooks.

Email and YouTube, definitely on Android. The Gmail app for ICS works better than the built-in email app for iOS or the official Gmail app for iOS. YouTube for ICS also looks a lot nicer.

Surfing is a mix of Android and iOS for me. After I installed ICS on the TouchPad, I pretty much used Chrome exclusively for surfing. With the high resolution iPad 3, I find myself gravitating towards the iPad more often now. I suspect that will change when the Infinity 700T is released.

Barely use my tablet for games and when I do, it's just the casual stuff (no Infinity Blade or any FPS). It's just too tiring if I have to hold the tablet with two hands instead of just propping it up on something.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
My hubby bought a motorola xoom that I have taken over and I use it for surfing the net and reading. I have the kindle app, kobo and cool reader. I haven't used my Kobo Touch in about 2 or so weeks.
Interesting. You prefer the Xoom because its bigger or because you have access to more formats? Or something else?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
VaporPunk
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Mostly surfing and email. Some YouTube and Netflix when I'm just trying to fall asleep. It's too heavy for reading so the only stuff I read on it are the ones I can't read on smaller devices - comics, magazines and textbooks.

Email and YouTube, definitely on Android. The Gmail app for ICS works better than the built-in email app for iOS or the official Gmail app for iOS. YouTube for ICS also looks a lot nicer.

Surfing is a mix of Android and iOS for me. After I installed ICS on the TouchPad, I pretty much used Chrome exclusively for surfing. With the high resolution iPad 3, I find myself gravitating towards the iPad more often now. I suspect that will change when the Infinity 700T is released.

Barely use my tablet for games and when I do, it's just the casual stuff (no Infinity Blade or any FPS). It's just too tiring if I have to hold the tablet with two hands instead of just propping it up on something.
Gmail is great on Android. I also found the Tran kinda tiring to read on, for both weight and eyesight reasons. And I don't read that many comics/GNs.

Last edited by VaporPunk; 04-23-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: see underlined
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Interesting. You prefer the Xoom because its bigger or because you have access to more formats? Or something else?
I think I have preferred reading on the xoom lately because of the backlit screen at night time, (which is when I usually read because I have to look after my kids during the day lol), and because of the different formats available.

It's great I can access kindle books. There have been so many books I haven't been able to get from Kindle because I have a Kobo Touch and in saying that I'm not interested in ever owning a Kindle.

I like my Kobo Touch but I find the eink hard to read at night time even with a little light that clips on to the Kobo.

Yes the xoom is obviously heavier than the the kobo but I just keep going back to reading my books on it. I have my kobo sitting my desk draw and I don't really want to read off it any more.

I should probably go back to my kobo because it's lighter and better for my eyes in the long run. Even though I haven't gotten a headache from reading off the xoom yet. I do have bad eyesight and reading off the backlit screen seems to be a little bit easier on my eyes and I don't have to squint so much.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use it for magazines, news, movies, videos, web browsing, games, etc. I don't read books on it. Must have a non-backlit display for that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I should probably go back to my kobo because it's lighter and better for my eyes in the long run. Even though I haven't gotten a headache from reading off the xoom yet. I do have bad eyesight and reading off the backlit screen seems to be a little bit easier on my eyes and I don't have to squint so much.
I have CoolReader, Mantano, Nook and Kindle ereaders on my tablets.

Those that are capable, are set to green text on black. Much easier on the eyes. I use my K3 quite a bit, particularly out doors this time of year.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have two Android tablets: a 7" Acer A100 and a 10.1" Acer A500. I use them to watch movies/TV on the device or streamed from tablet to TV via HDMI (Amazon, Hulu, Crackle, YouTube, Internet Archive, TV networks, etc.), internet surfing, email, internet radio (TuneIn Radio Pro), reading (Kindle app), weather alerts/reports (Elecont), maps, and occasional game-playing. I do prefer to read on my Kindle Keyboard, but sometimes it's nice to view books in color.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:

I'd say 90% of my use is simple surfing, e-mail, and the daily (normally) crossword puzzle.

Occasionally, I stream video (sometimes while shaving, or if there's two important soccer matches on at the same time and I can find a live stream) plus internet radio. And SuperNote which I got for free from Asus. Plus a couple of sports apps, NFL + PGA stuff.

I used it as a reader but didn't like it. I played the obligatory Angry Birds which was fun for about two hours then, meh.

I'd guess that most people I know, at least those under 21, have pretty similar habits. A bit more gaming maybe.

Even though this is in the android forum, I'd like to hear from other OS users as well.
Mine is a netbook replacement. It's an Asus Slider with a build-in physical keyboard.

I write essays and articles on it, do emails, surf, stream video, read news, take notes, etc. I don't game much at all. I don't read books on it either - I much prefer my Kobo Touch for that.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Mostly email, news, some browsing and remote desktop. I have watched the occasional movie, but it's not high on the list.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I use mine for reading the newspaper, browsing, and watching web video when my wife wants to watch something on TV that doesn't interest me. The occasional e-mail.

I also take it with me to show brochures and videos to customers, and to carry all technical information with me.

For reading books I prefer e-ink. But I hope that we can have a real all-in-one in the not to distant future.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
At home? Mostly games to amuse the spawn, the occasional quick look-up of recipes or useless trivia, quick youtube videos, and reading some magazines/pdf's.

At work? Reference videos, sites, and soundboards to annoy coworkers.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I use my nook tablet for lots of things.

I use it mostly for reading, browsing the net, reading periodicals(Pluse/Currents), lots of writing*, Productivity(Evernote, notes, bill tracking, baking, stock tracking, To-Do,Calenar), playing games(puzzles and quick time killer**), and email.

I also use it for church missal but that is not as frequent.

* As a result I'm always looking for a good keyboard. Swiftkey is nice, but FlexT9 is the only keyboard that gets me typing anywhere close to a real keyboard.
**I do like the longer role playing games, but after playing a decent game I found I spent too much time on that game and it ate up a lot of my time. Since I carry the nook with me at all times it was too easy to pickup the nook and play the game.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #15
VaporPunk
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
Mine is a netbook replacement. It's an Asus Slider with a build-in physical keyboard.

I write essays and articles on it, do emails, surf, stream video, read news, take notes, etc. I don't game much at all. I don't read books on it either - I much prefer my Kobo Touch for that.
Cool! You're the only person I "know" that has one of this. Is the keyboard comfortable to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

I also use it for church missal but that is not as frequent.

* As a result I'm always looking for a good keyboard. Swiftkey is nice, but FlexT9 is the only keyboard that gets me typing anywhere close to a real keyboard.
**I do like the longer role playing games, but after playing a decent game I found I spent too much time on that game and it ate up a lot of my time. Since I carry the nook with me at all times it was too easy to pickup the nook and play the game.
Points for original usage!

I use hackers keyboard. But I really don't type much on my tab, just a note here or there.

I use my PC for gaming, especially RPGs. I just prefer the larger screen + power. I find gaming on my tablet is best when its very casual & very short. Just my 2 cents.