Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
mkgtu
Zealot
mkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolate

Device: Currently:Voyage, Oasis 3, Kindle mobile apps, andKindle Fire
Kindle Fire: also missing "section/articles" in all news

There is a thread addressing this issue with the Touch. Just want to reiterate the problem here as regards Kindle Fire. I tried some of the experiments with changing the .mobi extension to .pobi (which had some success with the Touch), but it doesn't seem to work with the Fire.

Basically, all news/periodical files transferred from calibre to Fire, either via USB or Email, show up OK as .mobi files. But they are all rendered as Books, i.e. they have no navigational controls (e.g., sections/article lists, etc). Just as with a book, you can "Go To . . ." the Table of Contents and navigate to a single article, but would have to repeat that procedure for each article.

Will send request to Amazon to look into the issue. Suggest others might do the same. Or some maybe some genius can figure out a fix.

For now, Calibre's News function is rendered pretty useless with the Kindle Fire (or Touch)!
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157745
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
tbernstein
tbernstein began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lightbulb use table of contents

The table of contents still shows all the articles. Not as nice as the display on my kindle keyboard but usable. Photos look awesome.
tbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
jsl21
jsl21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I know that this isn't really a solution but I have found that on the Kindle Fire, instead of using the table of contents on a newspaper or magazine, start by going to the cover, and on the next page is a list of sections. If you click on a section, it gives you a list of the articles in the section. After choosing an article, if you click on the back arrow, it will go back to the article list for the section and then you can go back to the section list. Not as good as the sections and articles on my old Kindle 2, but much better than the using the table of contents. I was about to return my Fire until I realized this.
jsl21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre periodicals, kindle fire