Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Exclamation Amazon has agreed to share more customer data?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/...for-new-kindl/

Quote:
Citing executives familiar with the talks, The Wall Street Journal reports that negotiations between Amazon and publishers including Conde Nast, Hearst Corp. and Meredith Corp. went far more smoothly than earlier discussions with Apple (NAS: AAPL) in part because Amazon has agreed to share more customer data, including subscribers' names and addresses.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ummm...that would maybe be a reason to part ways with my Kindle and stop going to the Amazon sites.

Sorry Amazon, but you're going to lose a lot of face if you don't ask your customers about sharing the data when you make large changes to how you treat their personal information.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
This is nothing new. Amazon has always shared this information (and it tells you that it is doing so before you subscribe to a magazine/newspaper). In the quoted article, they're saying that Amazon shares more compared to Apple.

Apple has flat out refused to allow magazine/newspaper publishers to have any details of who subscribes to their publications.

This restricts what those publishers can do in terms of content offered outside of the specific platform that the user is subscribing on (e.g. if the newspaper wants to let you access their web site as well as the digital version of the publication).

The reason Apple does not want to share the information is that it makes it much harder for the publishers to leave the closed ecosystem that Apple provides. They can't just contact all of their customers and say "we're leaving the App Store, find us in these alternate places".

For more see:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...r=1-2#security

Last edited by Daveoc64; 09-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^That is unclear from the actual article. It makes no mention of an actual purchase starting the information sharing. Journalists should write better articles or news outlets should at least post better stuff.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^That is unclear from the actual article. It makes no mention of an actual purchase starting the information sharing. Journalists should write better articles or news outlets should at least post better stuff.
I'll agree that it's not a well written article.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
When none tech related publications put out articles about tech, I find that they tend to be riddled with problems
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You mean to tell me that Amazon is passing subscriber names and addresses to the publishers of the periodicals that are being subscribed to?!
I'm not sure what I would think if I ever found out that the distributer who takes care of sending me my physical copy of the Wall Street Journal were to somehow get my name and addr— uh...... wait a second.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You mean to tell me that Amazon is passing subscriber names and addresses to the publishers of the periodicals that are being subscribed to?!
I'm not sure what I would think if I ever found out that the distributer who takes care of sending me my physical copy of the Wall Street Journal were to somehow get my name and addr— uh...... wait a second.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	77186  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
LMAO!!! Good one!