Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
hjay
hjay began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
IQ 701 - a couple of questions

I just got my (used) Pocketbook IQ701. All looks good, v. good condition, things seem to work ok if a bit slow, but haven't looked at everything yet. Wi-Fi connected fine, there's 250 books in the internal memory, and it's running 2.0.3. However my mac doesn't seem to recognise it as a mass storage device when I connect the USB.

The questions:

1) to upgrade to 2.0.6, what files should I back up and save? Just the books and stuff like that, or also the apps? if the latter too, which ones? The Pocketbook apps and/or the 3rd party apps? What will an update to 2.0.6 wipe?

2) the 701 didn't come with an SD card. I'm planning on an 8gb card...should I go for a class 10 or just a class 4 or 6? Does the card have to be formatted first? (if so how).

3) If I can't connect my Mac to the Pocketbook, then I'll have to backup the PB's files to the SD card. But then I'll also need to put the firmware update on a card, won't I? Can backups and updates exist on the same card?

Thanks if anyone can shed light!

Hugh
hjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
1. backup EVERYTHING. You'll have to load it all back in.
2. I use a cheap sandisk 8 gig. I keep all my books and programs on it.
3. yes, but i'd go with another card to be safe.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
hjay
hjay began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
One of the first things I tried to do was to move the 277 books under /pocketbook/books to an 8gb Sandsik SD card. I wanted to do this as there was only 12mb left on the internal memory! (it's hard to see how and where your space is used up, the file manager is very rudimentary.)

Unfortunately, when I try to move the files it just says 'cannot move file'. This doesn't bode very well for backing anything up to SD card! (I've downloaded several programmes and books through the PB to this card, such as Aldiko and the card works fine).

I plan to use a second 'new' card for the update, but at this rate it isn't going to be possible anyway. 1. the PB won't connect to Mac, 2. I can't back up files to the SD card.
hjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ReaderVisImp
ReaderVisImp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any luck getting your PB 701IQ backed up? I have considered buying one, but I am a bit anxious about how complicated it is to use. I also have a Mac.
ReaderVisImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
I don't recall but I believe that the books you mentioned are not in internal memory. They are in the internal microSD card.

If you do a search, I recalled seeing a thread about connecting to a MAC.

Another way is to open up the back cover of the IQ, you can use a credit card and start gently plying off the cover.

remove the microSD and copy it to you MAC or another SD card.

FYI, this is how the IQ internal microSD is formatted:

partition 1: EXT2 or EXT3 <--- internal memory
partition 2: FAT32 <--- this is where your ebooks are saved.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
ReaderVisImp
ReaderVisImp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Appreciate the info

Thanks very much! I will do a search about connecting to a MAC.

I saw on the PocketbookUSA site the news that they have released the A7, which looks like an updated version of the 701IQ. I thought I might wait and get that model as it has backlit buttons and some other improvements. But when I emailed PB I was told it would not be released at present in the US. I wonder if they will release it in the US at all.
Sorry for the delayed response. Got sidetracked with caring for a spouse just diagnosed with pneumonia. Thanks again!
ReaderVisImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Moonrec
Moonrec began at the beginning.

Device: IQ-701
I replaced the internal uSD with an 8gb Sandisk and upgraded to 2.1.1. Working fine so far. The internal book app is cool, but I have downloaded the Kindle app and I am pretty much hooked to it.
Moonrec is offline   Reply With Quote