Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Bramah, Ernest: Max Carrados Omnibus. v2, 11 Jan 2008

An omnibus collection of stories featuring Max Carrados, the blind detective.

From Wikipedia:

It was not until 1914 the eponymous Max Carrados, the blind detective, appeared. Crime literature up to that time had its share of detectives with a variety of disabilities – paraplegic, amputees, deafness, facial disfigurement, asthma as well as bumblers, alcoholics and outright certifiable idiots. Carrados was not a tawdry attempt just to be different. It was a serious contribution to show that the blind did not live in total darkness and are as capable in many respects as of seeing as well as the sighted. Given the somewhat outlandish idea that a blind man could be a detective, albeit an amateur one, Bramah was forced to justify Carrados’s uncanny powers as a response to the criticism the first book received.

In the second Carrados book The Eyes of Max Carrados, in a long introduction, Bramah compared his hero’s achievements with the equally incredible achievements of real life blind people such as Nicholas Saunderson, Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge, Blind Jack of Knaresborough the road builder, John Fielding the Bow Street Magistrate of whom it was said he could identify 3,000 thieves by their voices and Helen Keller. Bramah’s sympathy for and understanding of the blind was both sincere and practical.

The Max Carrados stories appeared alongside Sherlock Holmes in the Strand Magazine, indeed they had top billing and frequently outsold his eminent contemporary even if they never achieved the longevity of Holmes.

Enjoy!

NB: I believe that this is now a complete collection of Max Carrados stories. If I come across any more, I'll add them to this omnibus.

EDIT: 11 Jan 08

My previous comment about the collection being complete was far from accurate! Added 8 more stories to the omnibus; I'm aware of about half a dozen more which are still missing. Uploaded v2.

Previous download count: 53
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Max Carrados Omnibus.lrf (518.7 KB, 1058 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My previous comment about the collection being complete was far from accurate! Added 8 more stories to the omnibus; I'm aware of about half a dozen more which are still missing. Uploaded v2.
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Bev
Bev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
More Max Carrados

This is the one Max Carrados story not in a Max Carrados Anthology it comes from the 1924 collection of assorted Bramah pieces "The Specimen Case".

Bev
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Bunch Of Violets - Bramah_41.lrf (24.6 KB, 600 views)
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bev, can you send Harry a copy so he can include it in his omnibus?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Bev
Bev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enough

Love to.....how do I do it ?

I think I'm having a senior moment

Bev
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just give me the URL for the original source and I'll add it to the omnibus.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just give me the URL for the original source and I'll add it to the omnibus.
oh like Duh

http://www.geocities.com/futurgurl/MVIOLETS.html

Bevis
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks!