Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #31
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm not interested in buying it, but the fuss that you are all making over how it looks is way overblown. It is a small bezel and screen... like every other ereader. What is the big deal!?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Yeah, it really is ugly, and all out of proportion with that 20th century screen aspect ratio.
It has the same screen aspect ratio (4:3) as every other eInk device on the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As it no longer has page turn buttons, it has nothing to differentiate it from the Paperwhite & the Aura, and as they both look a whole lot better...... move along, nothing to see here.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #34
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
After the debacle of the Aura screen issues (I never ordered one after following the Kobo threads on here) and the Paperwhite 2 issues (which I experienced, returning 2 as faulty) I had high hopes a new Nook would be an option, but not now.

Going forward I am worried that unless the e-ink screens and the way the devices are put together can be improved (thinking quality control here) in a few years time we will all be reading on tablets. I have a lovely PW1 that right now cannot be improved on by any new device released this year, certainly nothing I'll spend any more money on.

Buying a new iPad instead.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Going forward I am worried that unless the e-ink screens and the way the devices are put together can be improved (thinking quality control here) in a few years time we will all be reading on tablets.
I'll switch to audiobooks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
A I have a lovely PW1 that right now cannot be improved on by any new device released this year, certainly nothing I'll spend any more money on.
If my PW1 had had a really nice screen, I'd have kept it, too. My lighting was way too blotchy, so I traded it for a PW2. I miss my hacks, but I do like the faster processor and the much more even lighting.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
After the debacle of the Aura screen issues (I never ordered one after following the Kobo threads on here) and the Paperwhite 2 issues (which I experienced, returning 2 as faulty) I had high hopes a new Nook would be an option, but not now.
In fairness, there is a poll about satisfaction with the new Aura and even with all the apparent problems reported it's still running 84% satisfied (at last check) . So as much as there are problems with this years screens from all companies, I think they get a little overblown at times.

My first thought when I saw the picture of the new Nook was like a lot of others: man, that is one ugly piece of tech!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In fairness, there is a poll about satisfaction with the new Aura and even with all the apparent problems reported it's still running 84% satisfied (at last check) . So as much as there are problems with this years screens from all companies, I think they get a little overblown at times.

My first thought when I saw the picture of the new Nook was like a lot of others: man, that is one ugly piece of tech!
I still want the Kobo Aura, despite the issues that some units have. Just hoping to get it from a US company such as Powell's. Hoping their exchange process will be better. Waiting to see what spring will bring.

I don't think the new Nook is ugly. The appearance is not what prevents me from considering it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
They pulled most of the things that I liked about the device. No Sd Card, No side buttons, old version of Android. Its like they knew what people wanted from the new nook and decided to not give them to us.
Anyway can someone recommend a eink device with HD screen, Front Light, Android ver 4 and side buttons. Thats what I was hoping for now have to look for other manufacturers.
This one looks promising:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-android-4-0/

And it is matte black.
Not too fond of the generic chrome ring in the middle but the rest pushes all the right buttons.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If my PW1 had had a really nice screen, I'd have kept it, too. My lighting was way too blotchy, so I traded it for a PW2. I miss my hacks, but I do like the faster processor and the much more even lighting.
I thought the Kindle hacks worked on the KT, PW1, and PW2...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has the same screen aspect ratio (4:3) as every other eInk device on the market.
Hmmmmmm, I do not see how being the same aspect ratio as other devices is relevant to the current discussion, since ugly is ugly no matter how often it is repeated?

Of course, it is the same aspect ratio as every other eInk device since there is not much to choose from in that technology. The 4:3 aspect ratio was obsoleted for most entertainment device screens when analog television disappeared, but this new Nook just makes it look even more ugly. Aside from ugly, the short fat aspect ratio makes the device more unwieldy for the hip pocket carry that I personally prefer for my reader device.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hmmmmmm, I do not see how being the same aspect ratio as other devices is relevant to the current discussion, since ugly is ugly no matter how often it is repeated?

Of course, it is the same aspect ratio as every other eInk device since there is not much to choose from in that technology. The 4:3 aspect ratio was obsoleted for most entertainment device screens when analog television disappeared, but this new Nook just makes it look even more ugly. Aside from ugly, the short fat aspect ratio makes the device more unwieldy for the hip pocket carry that I personally prefer for my reader device.
The 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio used by most tablets these days is designed primarily for landscape-format viewing of web sites, video, etc. Personally I find 4:3 to be a much better aspect ratio for reading. It's also much closer to the aspect ratio of the standard A4 paper size that people are used to reading from:

4:3 = 1.33
16:10 = 1.6
A4 = 1.42
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Some OEM really seem to want to loose customers. Reminds me vaguely of HTC who stubbornly dismissed sd card and removable battery on their flagship phones.

Beside all of what has been said, the frontlight seems really bluish. I was hoping for a slightly warmer light.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
The 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio used by most tablets these days is designed primarily for landscape-format viewing of web sites, video, etc.
I am going to have to call BS on that statement since many, but not all, paperback books are in aspect ratios similar to HD screens. I have a stack of paperbacks right here in front of me to back up my statement.

Actually, IMHO, landscape viewing of a web page on an HD screen is a PITA since only a small part of the page is visible that way. On the other hand landscape viewing of a book in two page view is OK, but I prefer a portrait page view on an HD screen.

Quote:
Personally I find 4:3 to be a much better aspect ratio for reading.
There is no arguing with tastes.

To restate my own tastes, the new Nook GlowLight is ugly, and poorly proportioned for my normal device carrying mode. I will stick with my Nexus 7b and charge it overnight every night.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Don't get me wrong. I love my Paperwhite, although it is my third model of the original Paperwhite. I just want to be able to buy an ereader and know I'll get what's advertised. I don't want this circus we have to go through to get a decent device.

I don't want to read permanently on a tablet it's just how long can the Amazon and Kobo keep carrying the level of faulty devices that need replacing and refunds given for. How long before they decide the fault factor is too high to maintain.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote