Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Justlog
Justlog doesn't litterJustlog doesn't litter

Device: none
Is it the best choice?

Hey everyone, so I'm planning on buying a tablet solely for the reason of reading comics and browsing the internet(comics are more important).

So right now my main choice is the Galaxy Tab 3 since I reckon the screen size will be quite good, since I tried my brother's nexus 7 and it was too small for me and my dad's iPad is too big since I do want it to be portable enough.

Resolution is quite good at 1280x800 which will probably suffice(might be wrong might be right, you tell me).

And to top it off, it has an SD slot which will come in handy if I would like to scan some of my already owned comics.

All for 300$ seems quite awesome to me but, I wanted to check with you people to see if maybe the size wouldn't be enough since I haven't tried the device for myself, or there might be just a better choice for the same price range.

Thank you in advance, Justlog.
Justlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I take it you're looking at the 8" GT3. I think that would probably do pretty well for comic books. I think that I'm going to look at a 10" one when I can finally afford a tablet.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Lot of people have been quite negative about the Tab 3 I think it's a good upgrade personally going mostly on benchmarks, I don't read comics myself but there is at least one android comic app that lets you view them pane by pane with a touch I forget the name unfortunately.

Still I would say the bigger the better when it comes to magazines, pdf's and comics.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you're in the US or UK don't rule out the Nook HD+. Incredible screen (works great for comics & magazines) and if you don't like the stock interface you can use an alternate launcher so it's more like stock Android. At it's current price it's hard to beat.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Justlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Lot of people have been quite negative about the Tab 3 I think it's a good upgrade personally going mostly on benchmarks, I don't read comics myself but there is at least one android comic app that lets you view them pane by pane with a touch I forget the name unfortunately.

Still I would say the bigger the better when it comes to magazines, pdf's and comics.
I think you're referring to Comixiolgy.
And can you elaborate of what people were saying about the Tab 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you're in the US or UK don't rule out the Nook HD+. Incredible screen (works great for comics & magazines) and if you don't like the stock interface you can use an alternate launcher so it's more like stock Android. At it's current price it's hard to beat.
Sadly, I live in Israel, so no Nook HD+ for me.

Last edited by Justlog; 08-23-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlog View Post
I think you're referring to Comixiolgy.
And can you elaborate of what people were saying about the Tab 3?

Sadly, I live in Israel, so no Nook HD+ for me.
From what I've seen people are looking at the specs and basically thinking it's the same as the earlier tabs based on the ghz speed, looks to me like it's a much better chip despite that though I think a lot of it's just irrational Samsung hate which is pretty popular these days even in the Android camp.

If it suits your needs though I wouldn't hesitate or worry about it people just tend to hate on what succeeds.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Justlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
From what I've seen people are looking at the specs and basically thinking it's the same as the earlier tabs based on the ghz speed, looks to me like it's a much better chip despite that though I think a lot of it's just irrational Samsung hate which is pretty popular these days even in the Android camp.

If it suits your needs though I wouldn't hesitate or worry about it people just tend to hate on what succeeds.
Well thing is, I need to find a store here that actually have the tablet so I can play around with it, I'm going to place my actual order from Tigerdirect though seems as it would probably be much cheaper.