Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Most by Anthony Trollope have happy endings.

Trollope was prolific and tended to write long novels. Shorter possibilities, not part of a series, are Rachael Ray and Dr. Wortle's School. His most popular nowadays may be Barchester Towers, the second in a series that begins with a shorter one, The Warden.

Trollope's subject is men and women, especially as they are together -- seemingly an appropriate subject for you and your boyfriend to discuss

P.S. I agree with your boyfriend about Jane Austen.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
If you like plays you could try reading comedies from Plautus.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Free, public domain, oldie/goodie. The book is about 25% different from the movie.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My wife and I will read to each other in bed. I have to do the reading usually because I tend to fall asleep a little too quickly when just listening.
That's what my husband and I do frequently. We both have e-readers and we pick a book and he reads aloud to me while I follow along, and when he's tired of reading, or I am nearing "sleep", he stops and we say how we like it so far. I tend to not like doing the aloud reading, and my husband has a good reading voice.

I am pretty sure my father in law reads to my mother in law.

I think reading is a terrific "couple date time" activity.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
the Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas - so many stories in the one, and a page turner IMO. I haven't got to the ending yet (it goes on forever) but I'm sure it will be a good one.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
What about Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books? Mr Manou I truly enjoyed them, I also admired his wonderful use of the English language.
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I am so excited by all of these suggestions. I have never read anything by Trollope so I am off to investigate his works.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I enjoyed David Copperfield.

Spoiler:
I still to this day am a bit miffed that he didn't marry Agnes right off the bat. His first wife who he stuck with and was the epitome of high-maintenance until the day she died, and yet he loved her.... But I was so glad he ended up with Agnes in the end.
Spoiler:

You are so right. I always figured that David's infatuation with Dora was something he had to get out of his system as he matured. He was certainly better of with Agnes in every way. I especially like these final [very autobiographical] paragraphs in the book.

Quote:
And now, as I close my task, subduing my desire to linger yet, these faces fade away. But one face, shining on me like a Heavenly light by which I see all other objects, is above them and beyond them all. And that remains.

I turn my head, and see it, in its beautiful serenity, beside me. My lamp burns low, and I have written far into the night; but the dear presence, without which I were nothing, bears me company.

O Agnes, O my soul, so may thy face be by me when I close my life indeed; so may I, when realities are melting from me, like the shadows which I now dismiss, still find thee near me, pointing upward!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'll second anything by Alexandre Dumas. Three musketeers and Count of Monte Cristo are (I'm biased here) my favourite stories.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
I'll second anything by Alexandre Dumas. Three musketeers and Count of Monte Cristo are (I'm biased here) my favourite stories.
Thanks for the re-radar. I just zapped that one (Count of Monte Cristo) onto my Kindle. High priority on my personal TBR list. (Husband and I are reading "The Pirate Cinema" together for our night reads so I can tweet to @doctorow about my reaction to it).
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Don't forget Rudyard Kipling. Kim, Captains Courageous, and The Jungle Books are all good.
Also The Swiss Family Robinson by Johan Wyss, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Countess Orczy, and The Prisoner of Zenda.

And I think Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books are in the Mobileread library.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #27
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Don't forget Rudyard Kipling. Kim, Captains Courageous, and The Jungle Books are all good.
Also The Swiss Family Robinson by Johan Wyss, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Countess Orczy, and The Prisoner of Zenda.

And I think Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books are in the Mobileread library.
Huh I was told the jungle book had a rather dark ending. I should get around reading it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I secondCaptains Courageous and The Scarlet Pimpernel!

For a laugh, there's Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary. It's not a novel, but it is amusing and witty.

Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days might do, too.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I secondCaptains Courageous and The Scarlet Pimpernel!

For a laugh, there's Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary. It's not a novel, but it is amusing and witty.

Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days might do, too.
I loved Journey to the Center of the Earth. Around the World in Eighty Days is in our TBR pile! I downloaded it to our nooks a few weeks ago.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It seems to me that the list is pretty short, considering how many classics there are. I'm sure that books with happy endings were being written back then, but few remain as classics. That has to say something about us.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote