Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #676
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Just upgraded to latest jbpatch version. The dictionary patch by itself is priceless. thank you.

Just a minor problem. upgading jbpatch unloads the read timer plugin. Could it be possible to just activate/deactivate it via jbpatch? That would be nice and would't imply changes to the filesystem, I guess.

Edit: there's no such a problem. Maybe I was drunk.

Last edited by pirl8; 09-14-2012 at 09:58 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #677
NovaTornado
NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.2
Sorry, I'm a relatively new kindle user, but is there a patch for disabling certain gestures in reading? Like if you swipe up/down it skips forward/backward a chapter. I accidently do that a lot when I'm trying to stop an accidental page swipe. (Used to my iPod that I used as an ereader before, where if I pull my finger up it ignores that gesture instead of turning the page.)
NovaTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #678
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTornado View Post
Sorry, I'm a relatively new kindle user, but is there a patch for disabling certain gestures in reading? Like if you swipe up/down it skips forward/backward a chapter. I accidently do that a lot when I'm trying to stop an accidental page swipe. (Used to my iPod that I used as an ereader before, where if I pull my finger up it ignores that gesture instead of turning the page.)
No. All the available patches are listed in the first post of this thread, and on the Wiki page.

That said, I may be looking into how the reader handles touch events some time soon (because of this). No guarantees though - I don't know what is (or isn't) possible at this time.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #679
oji
oji began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, Onyx M92SM
ixtab, thank you for your great concept. Do you have in your plans (even distant) to port JBPatch to the K4NT?
oji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #680
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oji View Post
ixtab, thank you for your great concept. Do you have in your plans (even distant) to port JBPatch to the K4NT?
No. I don't own such a device, and probably never will. I'm still hoping that someone will eventually take a closer look at it, but it won't be me...
Old 09-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #681
Tcdasa
Tcdasa began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Which version of Calibre are you using? (it should be >= 0.8.53 )
I was using Calibre ver. 0.8.68. Now I've upgraded it to the newest one.

But first of all I heard NiLuJe's advice and deleted all books through KT UI and sent them once again through Calibre. Now everything is ok, I see all thumbnails.
Tcdasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #682
kindleloh
kindleloh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi ixtab,
thank you for the dictionary patch. It works fine. I have a question regarding the dictionaries in use. I`m using a Wikipedia mobi book as german dictionary. The problem is that this Wikipedia mobi book is only available within german books. When I read an english book and want to use the Wikipedia mobi book I have to go the manual way to open the book and so on.
Is there a way to introduce into this patch also dictionaries from other languages?
kindleloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #683
mp.
mp. began at the beginning.

Hi ixtab,
I removed the content of the "documents" folder and now the configuration interface is gone. Is there any way to get it back?
mp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #684
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp. View Post
Hi ixtab,
I removed the content of the "documents" folder and now the configuration interface is gone. Is there any way to get it back?
The easiest way is to simply reinstall JBPatch. Otherwise, you can also manually copy jbpatch.azw2 from the src/ folder of the zip file into the documents/ folder.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #685
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleloh View Post
Hi ixtab,
thank you for the dictionary patch. It works fine. I have a question regarding the dictionaries in use. I`m using a Wikipedia mobi book as german dictionary. The problem is that this Wikipedia mobi book is only available within german books. When I read an english book and want to use the Wikipedia mobi book I have to go the manual way to open the book and so on.
Is there a way to introduce into this patch also dictionaries from other languages?
I realize that I keep answering "no" quite often recently, but "no"

This would go against all the dictionaries logic, namely that only relevant dictionaries (having the same language as the book, and actually containing the word that is being looked up) are chosen for display. In fact, I'm largely relying on the logic that Amazon has implemented anyway for choosing dictionaries (with the difference that the default FW will only display the *first* relevant entry, while the patch allows to switch between *all* relevant entries).

Think about it: it does not generally(*) make sense to look up german words in an english, french, or polish dictionary - even if the exact same word is found, you would get useless results in almost all of the cases (e.g. "Handy" <=> "handy"). If you really require that, a simple workaround is to create a copy of the Wikipedia dictionary with changed metadata, so that it will also show up as an english dictionary. Try this at your own risk, of course.

(*) There might be very very specific exceptions to this rule, for instance if a book contains passages in another language - but that is too specific a use case to be easily "targetable" in software.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #686
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This would go against all the dictionaries logic, namely that only relevant dictionaries (having the same language as the book, and actually containing the word that is being looked up) are chosen for display.
In principle, I agree with you, but I have one dictionary, for example, which, despite being excellent, has a very poor inflections index. The result is that most inflected forms aren't found in this dictionary when I select them in books or periodicals, although the uninflected form is almost invariably contained in the dictionary.

For example, the dictionary contains the term 'logiciel', but if I highlight 'logiciels', no match is returned.

If I had access to the dictionary (specifically, the search box at the top of the screen once the dictionary is open), I could delete the 's' manually, hit the return key and easily access the term 'logiciel' contained in the dictionary.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying I would like access to dictionaries in other languages, just *all* the dictionaries on my device for the specific language I'm reading in.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #687
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
In principle, I agree with you, but I have one dictionary, for example, which, despite being excellent, has a very poor inflections index. The result is that most inflected forms aren't found in this dictionary when I select them in books or periodicals, although the uninflected form is almost invariably contained in the dictionary.

For example, the dictionary contains the term 'logiciel', but if I highlight 'logiciels', no match is returned.

If I had access to the dictionary (specifically, the search box at the top of the screen once the dictionary is open), I could delete the 's' manually, hit the return key and easily access the term 'logiciel' contained in the dictionary.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying I would like access to dictionaries in other languages, just *all* the dictionaries on my device for the specific language I'm reading in.
Yes, I see your point (and I also saw kindleloh's point). But I have to find a balance between providing actually useful functionality and swamping the user with 25 useless dictionaries pages ("useless" in the sense of *not* actually providing a useful definition for the word, because they'd be in a different language, or because they wouldn't provide a definition for the search term). Combining your request and kindlelohs, this would essentially lead to a situation where I would be throwing *all* the dictionaries at you, even if only one contained a meaningful definition. And that would drive the dictionary lookup page ad absurdum, and would not be user-friendly anymore.

Just like the hyphenation patch can only work correctly if the book states its language correctly, the dictionaries patch can only work correctly if it is backed by good quality dictionaries. As the saying goes... "garbage in, garbage out". - or, to state it differently, in this particular case: if you want a high quality user experience, you need good quality data. This is in no way meant to offend either of you, but I want to keep these things usable for everyone, and the problem is in both cases caused solely by "bad" dictionaries.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #688
mp.
mp. began at the beginning.

Quote:
The easiest way is to simply reinstall JBPatch. Otherwise, you can also manually copy jbpatch.azw2 from the src/ folder of the zip file into the documents/ folder.
Works fine! Thanks a lot!
mp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #689
kindleloh
kindleloh began at the beginning.

Quote:
... If you really require that, a simple workaround is to create a copy of the Wikipedia dictionary with changed metadata, so that it will also show up as an english dictionary. Try this at your own risk, of course.
Thank you for the hint. I have worked on the idea already but miss the tool to easy change the directory input/output value. I have with the copy and modified offline wikipedia messing a little storage space but otherwise it works fine.

Idea for a new feature: a huge ebook reader advantage is to have more than one book at hand and sometimes it is nice to have two books which you could fast switch between each other. May be an additional configurable key which allows to fast enter a second book and then return with the same key to the previous one. May be it is also useful for others.
kindleloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #690
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@ixtab this may be a really noobish question. how to use ur hide progressbar patch button. I have set bottom margin and footer to 0 and progressbar patch to grhaphical but when I tap on that % icon you have added ,nothing happens. what am I doing wrong?
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks