Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quite often, when you see a few very large files, the ToC will point into the middle of a file since the files are not split on chapter boundaries. This can and will cause some odd issues.

What I generally do is to merge all the files other than one which displays the cover into a single file, cleanup the metadata, errorcheck, split at logical boundaries (Toc, titlepage, dedication, copyright, chapters, etc.), rebuild the toc.ncx, any other cleanup I think is needed and then save the epub.
If the problem is too large an XHTML file, I will spit it at the proper boundaries and if need be, do any manual merging. I will check that the ToC is correct. I don't have to deal with the internal ToC as I've already deleted it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsik View Post
thanks for good help attempts.

In calibre edit and check book it shows this error.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This HTML file is larger than 260 KB. Too large HTML files can cause performance problems on some e-book readers. Consider splitting this file into smaller sections.
-------------------------------------------------------
now need to spit into new sections. Not getting very far yet.
Others have expressed an opinion, but, I have only seen two issue with files larger than this. Firstly, there is an page break added somewhere in the file. I'm guessing that the firmware is dividing the file up into smaller chunks and handling these as separate files for rendering. I don't know at what file size it starts to do this.

The other is performance. The larger the file, the slower the performance as you progress through the file. At the start, it is fine, but as you go through it, the page turning slows down. My test for this was a book with 30 chapters that I merged into on. I think it was 3MB uncompressed. But, it wasn't until I was halfway through this that the performance drop was noticeable. I don't think it would be for a 300KB file.

One thing I don't know is how it affects the search. If the large file is being split in memory by the firmware, it might have the problem you started the thread about. I doubt if I ever tested search.

Overall, I split the internal files on natural boundaries like chapters. But, if there aren't any chapters, or if one is a bit bigger, it doesn't worry me much. It doesn't break the device and I would prefer not to add artificial divisions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote