Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
ePub to Word

Hey,

I didn't see a thread for converting ePub to Word. I see tools that can convert to RTF but I'd like to keep footnotes. I could open each html file in Word but there are dozens. Maybe there's some tool out there?
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Convert to a single HTML file (Calibre epub -> html) and open that in Word.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Hey frostschutz,

thanks. That works for getting the text. Footnotes are there but the links are gone. Maybe Amber ePub to Word is worth the price if the linking works.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I'm not sure how a converter would recognise that some arbitrary link was a footnote; I'd expect to have to sort that out manually.

Do let us know how the Amber converter works, please.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
democrite
Evangelist

The HTML doc has anchor links to other places within the doc. You can create such links in word but the html import doesn't keep them. OpenOffice seems like it might work. I tried the newest one which opens HTML ok in the HTML editor, links work and everything. Apparently it's possible for OpenOffice to convert to word but maybe some import preferences need to be checked. When I try this on my Mac (with newest LibreOffice), any preference changing crashes the app. Maybe I could hand the HTML file to someone and they could give it a try? Just convert it to a Word Doc and see if the links are ok.

Not sure about Amber ePub to Doc; there's no demo to try.

edit: was able to get OpenOffice to works. Some links work, some don't. So still looking. Anything that let me get from HTML to (eventually) Word with anchor links. Even if it needs another app or many apps in the middle. InDesign, who knows..

Last edited by democrite; 11-09-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Hmm, my method would be creating a single HTML file via Sigil, extract all the files and open the HTML in Word. Perhaps Calibre is doing something strange to the links.

I cannot imagine the Amber program has added value, they almost never have. Most of those kind of programs use the same conversion routines as Calibre.

I actually started thinking about this recently. My biggest worry was the retaining of styles, hadn't thought about the footnotes yet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
democrite
Evangelist

Calibre retains styles ok. It names them after whatever was in the CSS. Seems just Word doesn't like anchor names. Links are retained but since they point to htmlfile.html#anchor, that doesn't work too well.

The only other word processor I can think of that might be worth a try is WordPerfect.

Who knows, this one book I'm trying to convert is one I'll look at often so maybe I'll convert the footnotes myself. It's just there are about 600 of them.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will try to test with a book containing footnotes with the method I described. I will report back later.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Links are retained but since they point to htmlfile.html#anchor, that doesn't work too well.
If it's a single HTML file you could try a search&replace htmlfile.html with nothing. So it's a href="#anchor".
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

So far I have tried ePUB to RTF and ePUB to HTMLZ via Calibre. Overal I am not impressed. The RTF conversion was horrid with tabs and everything. Via HTML a little bit better, but the links are not working and the CSS styles are not really imported.