Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Sony PRS T1 Charger

I finally decided that I would get a Sony rather than a Kindle. I have placed an order for the above eReader. I note that their wall-charger is NZ$50 which is way above the Kindle Charger. Are Sony noted for being expensive?. Could there be a less expensive wall-charger that would do the job?. After reading all the negative comments on this Forum about the T1 I am beginning to regret that I pre-ordered one!!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I finally decided that I would get a Sony rather than a Kindle. I have placed an order for the above eReader. I note that their wall-charger is NZ$50 which is way above the Kindle Charger. Are Sony noted for being expensive?. Could there be a less expensive wall-charger that would do the job?. After reading all the negative comments on this Forum about the T1 I am beginning to regret that I pre-ordered one!!
I'm not sure about the T1, but my 650 last year came with the USB cable and no wall adapter. I plug that cable into the wall adapters I already have on hand - the one from my Nook Color, the two I have for cell phones, the two from various Kindles. They all work fine. The only time I've run into a problem is for my actual Nook Color. It's USB cord will only charge with it's own adapter. No other device that I have is so specific. Unless the T1 is like that, I would think you could use any adapter just as long as your USB cord will plug into it.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Thanks anaesthezea, I was hoping that would be the story. It sounds as though you have a range of eReaders. Which do you prefer, the Sony or the Kindle?. This will be my first eReader and it was difficult deciding which to buy.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I used a Blackbery bold charger for my PRS650 I got it for $5 on ebay, hopefully similar chargers will work with the T1. No need to feel regret on your Sony purchase I think its the superior reader
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I used a Blackbery bold charger for my PRS650 I got it for $5 on ebay, hopefully similar chargers will work with the T1. No need to feel regret on your Sony purchase I think its the superior reader
Thanks, that cheers me up a bit. LOL.
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Thanks anaesthezea, I was hoping that would be the story. It sounds as though you have a range of eReaders. Which do you prefer, the Sony or the Kindle?. This will be my first eReader and it was difficult deciding which to buy.
My husband says I have too many! He was a little upset when I pre-ordered the T1, but he'll get over it. I don't complain about all the lawn mowers he's got out in our garage. /smirk/

I have owned a Sony 505 (bought 2007), a Sony 650 (bought 2010), a Kindle 3 WiFi (sold it), a Kindle 3G (Christmas 2010), and a Nook Color. All have pros and cons, depending on your needs/preferences.

Here's what I love about the Sony line of readers:

- More shopping options for ebooks that have DRM
- Many shopping options for ebooks that are non-DRM
- Expandable external memory
- Ease of use with the program Calibre (this is my ereader's best friend)
- Ability to view my books in book cover mode instead of just in list mode (I usually will remember a book by its cover before I remember its title, so i find this very handy for choosing my next read)
- Device longevity (I have had my Sony 505 since 2007 and until a few days ago, it was still going strong. Sadly, I accidentally set something heavy on it and broke the screen. I feel so guilty, I killed the poor thing!)

Here's what I love about the Kindles:

- Amazon's whole eco-system makes it really easy/convenient to buy ebooks from them. The phone apps, the cloud reader, the cloud, and the archive are all very handy.
- Customer Service. I have never had a negative experience with Amazon's CS.
- Ability to email webpages and documents directly to the Kindle from Calibre, my laptop's browser, my phone, etc. I do this for fanfiction and when I'm too lazy to plug my Kindle into my PC.
- Font style and screen contrast.* I love the Caecilia font. The version Kindle uses is quite nice. **

* The contrast between my Sony 650 and my Kindle 3G's screens isn't all that different in and of itself. There is a difference, however, in the fonts used and the weight of said fonts. I just find the Caecilia font on the Kindle more contrast-y and readable than the fonts on my 650. This is down to personal taste.

** I should add that with some work you can use Caecilia with the Sony readers (not sure about the T1 yet, as it hasn't come out yet). It's not the exact same one used on the Kindle, but you can get it pretty close, I've heard.

As for the Nook Color? I primarily have it to use as a tablet. I don't buy from Barnes and Noble much, unless the books are free. I occasionally buy the Read To Me picture books for my son. I mostly use it for Netflix, web surfing, and games. I run Android on it from an SD card.

I hope I didn't talk to much or confuse you! I hope you enjoy your first reader!

Last edited by anesthezea; 09-29-2011 at 04:53 AM.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Appreciate your further comments which are interesting and informative. I appreciate that each reader has their Pros and Cons, so I guess when I get my Sony I will find out if it suits my needs. The Kindle has only just been released here and is proving very popular. I had a play with it in the shop and like it, but i thought the Sony would be more flexible, but it is unfortunate that I could not try it before purchase. It will be a surprise packet. The Nook is not available here. I have installed Calibre and will get to grips with it as it appears to be a very popular program. Cheers.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Before shelling out any money for a plugin wall charger, you might first try the charger from any devices you already have laying around, even old cell phones. For the Sony PRS line, the charger from my LG Rumor Touch works perfectly, I never had to purchase a charger.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Before shelling out any money for a plugin wall charger, you might first try the charger from any devices you already have laying around, even old cell phones. For the Sony PRS line, the charger from my LG Rumor Touch works perfectly, I never had to purchase a charger.
Thanks. Yes I will try other chargers that I have. I presume I can't do any damage to T1?. That was my concern. Maybe the charger I have to my Ipod will do the job?.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
My Sony T1 does not come with AC adapter. Is it safe to use the IPAD USB charger? Thank you.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I was told I could use a blackberry charger for my PRS600 but it doesn't work. I had to buy a wall charger from Waterstones, it came with a transformer and works but is not very portable. Any other ideas from anyone? Thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
I was told I could use a blackberry charger for my PRS600 but it doesn't work. I had to buy a wall charger from Waterstones, it came with a transformer and works but is not very portable. Any other ideas from anyone? Thank you.
I don't know who told you that about the 600 but that is not correct. You can use that charger for the X50 series but not the X00 series. For those, you need to get the barrel charger like one used for the Sony PSP.

The X00 series cannot be charged with the USB through AC. You can only do it through the barrel. When I had my 300 I found a generic one for the handheld Sony PSP system. It worked like a charm!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have successfully used a blackberry charger with my Sony reader, and I imagine that the PRS-t1 will also use the same method of charging.

I don't think that you will regret your purchase; I have two Sony readers, and I have been more than happy with them. I can't wait to pick up the PSR-T1, which looks to me to be the best reader on the market, or rather the reader most suited to my needs. I think that you will love it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
I went to bb and bought a generic Sony charger PRSA-AC1 ($8.9) and it worked for my Sony T1.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have successfully used a blackberry charger with my Sony reader, and I imagine that the PRS-t1 will also use the same method of charging.
According to your profile you have a 350. Have you ever had and used a Blackberry charger with a 300 or 600 reader? I have had a 300 & currently own a 350. You CANNOT use the USB to charge the X00 series of readers. It doesn't work. The ONLY way to charge the X00 series of readers is with the barrel plug or while connected to the computer.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote