Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #61
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I associate the Athenaeum with the conservative gentleman's club of that name, in Pall Mall, London
http://www.athenaeumclub.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenaeum_Club,_London

It's a private club; very elitist; and only admitted women in 2002. I doubt whether that name would be conducive to inclusive discussion. But if a pretentious snob's corner is wanted, then the name is fine.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #62
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I associate the Athenaeum with the conservative gentleman's club of that name, in Pall Mall, London
http://www.athenaeumclub.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenaeum_Club,_London

It's a private club; very elitist; and only admitted women in 2002. I doubt whether that name would be conducive to inclusive discussion. But if a pretentious snob's corner is wanted, then the name is fine.
Hrm. Good point. I was thinking more of it's library and association with (alleged?) intellectuals...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #63
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
What about the previous Round Table suggestion? I rather like it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #64
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What about the previous Round Table suggestion? I rather like it.
Given all the Monty Python fans round here (pun intended), I'm not so sure that's the best name for a serious discussion spot...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #65
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Given all the Monty Python fans round here (pun intended), I'm not so sure that's the best name for a serious discussion spot...
I'm not a hard core Monty Python fan so I don't understand why Round Table wouldn't be appropriate. (Or is that something else I need to check the wiki for.) Personally I've never chuckled or giggled at the phrase Round Table, but then again I suppose every phrase might have a funny or irreverent connotation to somebody, right?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #66
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Great...then will the name be changed from Ministry of Silliness to Ministry of Silly Walks?
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #67
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Here's a few ideas for you.

The Alcove
Conference Room
Debate Society
The Den
Dialogue House
The Exchange
Parley Place
Quorum
The Symposium
The Vault

I think MOd BOb mentioned voting on the name. I think that would be a cool idea.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #68
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
MobileRead Cafe

(with the appropriate accent)
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #69
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
move the silly to its own section, leave the rest, call it 'the nut house' or something like that
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #70
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
move the silly to its own section, leave the rest, call it 'the nut house' or something like that
Yes!
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #71
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post

Now there's an idea worth the voting You could call it Bedlam
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #72
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that is a US-specific expression. I'd never heard of a "water cooler" until I looked up its meaning on reading this. Perhaps not a good idea to use such a term on a world-wide board like MR.
Harry, did you ever see the film "9-to-5"? A lot of discussion goes on at the water cooler.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know what a water-cooler is, Don; I just didn't know that's what they were called. They'd always been a rather vague "that thing that you can get a cup of water from" in my mind .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Topic Discussion

It's a play on keeping on topic, and it's a place for discussion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #75
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Let's just ban all lack of seriousness (paticurlarly silliness) from the forum entirely. We could actively enforce it by adding a squad of new moderators to police the threads who would delete all comments that veered from the topic or caused one to smile or chuckle. Repeat offenders would be expelled. Strict adherence to the thread topic, as defined narrowly by the thread owners, would then be maintained so long as we maintained constant vigilence. I'm all for it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote