Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?

As you may know, talk show host Oprah Winfrey has a book club. She is widely credited with the ability to convince her audience to buy any book she recommends. She's even the likely cause of the Kindle being sold out over Christmas.

There is also a group of readers who specifically avoid any book she recommends. Me, for instance. I thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone thinks: whether you have a positive, negative, or ambivalent response to her.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I guess you can add another option such as 'I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not'
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
I guess you can add another option such as 'I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not'
You have my vote .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
poll option added
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
It is interesting if she recommended Sony reader sony will be discontinued before Xmas too?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'd rather gnaw off my leg-with the use of anesthesia!

Really! All anyone has to do is state that Oprah categorically recommends a book - I'm hurling my cookies within minutes of hearing that statement. In my not so humble opinion, Oprah Whine-ful has single-handedly set back the cause of reading by 1,000 years.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I voted for "Who is Oprah Winfrey?", although I must confess I more or less know who she is, I've been hearing her mentioned in TV shows and commedies for some years, but you must understand that here in Spain she's not relevant at all
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
What on earth convinced Oprah that she had great taste in books mystifies me.
Whatever the price of a book was before it debuts on Oprah's show, it's a safe bet that it will increase after she has gushed about it.
I should imagine that there are a lot of authors who give a little prayer for "O Pray" to give it an airing.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do tend to avoid books Oprah has recommended. There are too many other books to read anyway. So it's no loss to not read what she says is good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am unfamiliar with the lady (other than the knowledge that she is an American "chat show" hostess), but I would say that if she gets a lot of people to read books who would otherwise not have done so, that can only be a good thing, regardless of her taste in books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am unfamiliar with the lady (other than the knowledge that she is an American "chat show" hostess), but I would say that if she gets a lot of people to read books who would otherwise not have done so, that can only be a good thing, regardless of her taste in books.
Most of the people (lemmings) who read what she recommends already read. What's happening is that they are then reading what she recommends which is not always (IMHO) worth reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I really can't do it. Actually I tend to steer clear of anything with some kind of "Such and Such Recommends" unless it sounds interesting. But considering I have so much to read, I doubt I'm missing much.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I don't pay any attention to Oprah -- in fact, I've never seen her show (of course, her show would be very low on my list to consume the hour of TV a year I watch) -- but I view her recommendations like I view the recommendations of the book reviewers whose columns I read: if the book appears to be interesting, I'll read it; otherwise, I ignore it. In Oprah's case I can't say that I have ever read any of the "modern" novels she has recommended. I rarely read nonfiction, with the exception of SciFi/Fantasy and some of the "classics"; most of my reading is nonfiction.

Here is something to think about -- at least those of us who read nonfiction and are in our downside of the life cycle: Why read to expand our knowledge when soon it won't make any difference what we know or don't know?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted for "Who is Oprah?" - I know of her, sort of - I know she's an American chat show host, and I suppose the UK equivilent would be Richard and Judy (who are also chat show hosts and run a book club). I picked that option rather than the "I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not" because, to me, that would imply I at least pay some attention to what she recommends, and I can honestly say I haven't got the foggiests. Same with Richard and Judy - although I was horrifed once in WH Smiths to find out I had spent enough, according to the till display, to get myself a free Richard and Judy - pointed this out to the very fed up seeming shop assistant and had him doubled up with laughter. We both knew it meant book, of course, but the idea of getting a free chat show hosting couple was rather absurd.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't understand people categorically avoiding these books just because she recommends them. Some of these books were written long before Oprah got to them. I remember two Canadian authors (Anne-Marie McDonald and Rohinton Mistry) who were quite popular already here in Canada for years before Oprah found them. To say 'I avoid Toni Morrison because Oprah recommended her' is silly---Toni Morrison is a Nobel prize winner and was famous long before Oprah got to her, just as Anne-Marie McDonald was read in university literature classes in Canada for a good couple years before Oprah read her book.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote