Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What Is Most Important To You In A Reader?
Price? 7 6.42%
Design Features 58 53.21%
Flexibility 12 11.01%
Size/Weight 20 18.35%
Battery Life 12 11.01%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Poll: What Is Most Important In A Reader

Think about how you use your reader and rate its most valuable feature.

EDIT:/ Editing this to try to answer some of the issues raised by members

- more choices would not have highlighted which of these choices was most important - 60 choices might have only received 1 vote each from 60 members, obviously uninformative.

- why these choices and not others? - everyone has their favourite features that are non-negotiable, these were my criteria.

- multiple choice would have diluted the responses

I apologize for not including everyone's "most important" attribute of an reader but the poll is what it is. At least we have some good conversations/dialog going on in the comments.

p

Last edited by palo; 04-04-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clarification
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You haven't included what I'd rate as an extremely important feature: stability. No point in having wonderful features if it crashes every half hour (as some devices I've owned have).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The poll should have been multiple choice as it's not just one feature that we want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
My #1 feature is not on here. It would be reliability (which is similar to Harry's stability). Reliability is the thing that I value most on all the products I buy from houses, cars, and even ereaders. When I want to use it for the reason it was bought, I need to know that it will work.

Using the criteria you have here Design Features would be it, but it is a very distant second.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I need an ereader with a well balanced feature set, so I'm not going to say that feature X is my #1 feature. For example: an ereader may be perfect in every respect, but I'm not going to buy it if it costs $500. Likewise, I won't touch a $20 ereader if the battery lasts 4 hours. On top of that, there are factors like reliability and durability that aren't listed in the options.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For a lot of people it is none of the above: the ebookstore.
We hobbyist/techie types obsess about specsheets and fancy features, but the vast majority of buyers just want stability, readability, and access to the ebookstore(s) of their choice.

Me, techie that I am, I start with the screen and then look at the software, starting with stability. Everything else I can trade off but those two are non-negotiable after my BeBook experiences.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I can't vote. Readability in bright sunshine was the primary feature necessary to get me to consider an eReader and I bought a Kindle for the Amazon ecosystem.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Versatility (not being locked to a book vendor).
flexibility (Lots of user settings)
And the Big one Reliability/Longevity/Maintainability (Sending to the factory for a new battery is unacceptable. Must use a commonly available battery)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I said flexibility, but I agree with multiple choices.

Price was overwhelmingly important until eInk reader prices came down into a range I felt was affordable.

Reliability would be big except that most models seem similar there. If gorilla glass lived up to its name, that would be something.

Then there's ability to obtain reading matter otherwise unavailable. This, and not a mild superiority over paper, is, for me, the reason to have an eReader.

Unlike most here, I consider being able to access text-based internet news sites seamlessly, most places in the world, to be a feature so stupendous as to trump ability to read books, much as that is appreciated. I can get lots of books in a convenient paper format at the local public library -- and almost any book if I wait for inter-library loan. But I can't get the Times of India there. Let alone an up to the minute Times of India. Cell-phone based free internet puts the Kindle 1, if you live in the US, and the Kindle 2/3 in most of the world, in a higher class than reader models before or after.

There also are significant differences between eReaders in availability of pay-for periodicals. I consider the Kindle-only New York Times Latest News Blog a killer app, although I think you can only buy it if you live in the US. The Nook and Kindle have much bigger periodical selections than Kobo.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Configurability and independence missing.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
How about ability to display the book (ePub of course) the way it was designed? Nothing more irritating than seeing your hard work displayed incorrectly because the reader doesn't follow the specs - well I guess not being able to see anything at all because of stability/reliability/battery issues would trump that....
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It must have removable media, if this is missing I don't even look at any other features it may have. I prefer full size SD but micro-SD is acceptable too.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Eeeeehhh... screen/display quality?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Eeeeehhh... screen/display quality?
LOL. First thing that came to me.

Second would be the possibility to add custom fonts (even in an unofficial way, like the Kindle).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I can't really answer the poll, because I don't have one most valuable feature.

If I'm in the "Hmm, let's see if there are any interesting new ereaders out there" mindset, I look to see what the current prices are. But price is not the sole criteria I use. I will buy a more expensive reader if the sum total of the product seems to meet my needs.

I look at the design features. I like touch screens, but I also want buttons to turn the pages - but the absence of either is not a deal-breaker. I like having the SD card slot, but in reality I have yet to fill up the main memory on my ereaders, much less my SD cards. I don't need dedicated access to an ebook store, because I side-load everything.

I try to get the widest array of font sizes and fonts - but I can always change the font sizes on most ebooks via Calibre, so while important this factor is not critical.

I like to get the ereader with the most native capability for a variety of format types - but I can convert anything quickly with Calibre so I usually just tend to use .epub anyway.

I like the inclusion of an MP3 player, but in actuality I don't use it that often. I like having the option of wireless browsing, but find the e-ink browsing experience rather cumbersome and annoying with all the black flashing, so it's not really essential.

I've got ereaders ranging in size from the eBookman 911 to the Pandigital novel, and while screen size is important, the readability of the type on the screen is more important.

My reader is usually carried around in my pocketbook, so weight really isn't much of an issue. As long as I can hold it in one hand without getting tired, that seems to be my main criteria regarding weight.

Battery life is the least important, since most of them last for at least a week and since I can charge my devices anytime.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote