Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
jhsrennie
jhsrennie began at the beginning.

Device: Android
top and bottom margins when converting to pdf

If I use:

Code:
ebook-convert mybook.rtf .pdf --paper-size a5 --margin-left 18 --margin-right 18 --margin-top 18 --margin-bottom 18
then the left and right margins are 18pt, but there is no margin at the top and bottom of the page except on the first page.

ebook-convert --version gives me:

ebook-convert.exe (calibre 0.8.5)

Thanks,

John Rennie
jhsrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe that the PDF output option of Calibre does not support top and bottom margins.

As far as I know there is little interest from Calibre developers in enhancing PDF output so this is unlikely to get resolved any time soon. PDF is seen as an undesireable format for ebook devices, and is supported primarily for legacy reasons. Calibre's prime focus is on the main ebook formats such as epub and mobi, and on adding capabilities that apply to all formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
my-nick
my-nick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

you could try this online converter: http://www.mobi-to-pdf.com/

It does not seem to have the problem with the top- and bottom margins...

Good luck!
my-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
jhsrennie
jhsrennie began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hi my-nick, thanks for the suggestion. In the end I wrote a Python script to convert a text file to PDF with some basic fomatting.

I fully understand the Calibre developers view of PDF. In my case I have an old tablet that works best with PDF so I do a "one time" conversion to PDF when I want to read something, then discard the PDF file. It's mainly my short story collection (many thousands of them!) that I keep as plain text. My books I keep as epub, mostly generated/converted with Calibre.
jhsrennie is offline   Reply With Quote