Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Am I screwed?

I'm in Canada and bought the Kindle through ebay on Monday.
On Tuesday I received it, created a new account with a US address, bought and emailed a gift certificate to it, and used it to buy books on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Today I tried to buy a book, and got this message:

We are sorry...
We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I got the same message when I tried to buy another one.

Am I no longer able to buy books for the Kindle I registered online with? Is Amazon "on to me"? Is my life over?
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks like Bezos is on to you buddy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
amazons website has been doing weird things today. Many people (like myself!) logged on only to be informed "You do not have a Kindle, please register one" Heck of a surprise when I've had mine for over a year.

I called, and they said they've been having network problems.......it should be sorted out now.

Anyway, my point is,..........I wonder if that was your problem also? Even tho the message was different, have you tried to buy something again?

Let us know.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
FligMupple
Enthusiast

I am still getting that message, and I'm unable to buy anything.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Did you set it up like this...
http://www.nerdgirl.com/2009/03/20/a...utside-the-us/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Yes I did. I seems (according to the end of the comments) others are today experiencing the same disastrous problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I wonder if they check the the location of the IP address? If so, you'd need a US proxy server to get around that.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wonder if going through someplace like http://hidemyass.com/ would help.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Please keep us posted. If anyone is/was in the same situation and/or has (not) found a solution - please drop me a PM here, comment on my Kindle blog or email at contact (a.t.) blogkindle (d.o.t.) com
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
I would definitely suggest using any of the public US proxies. They are slow, but should be good enough to download ebooks. I'm not familiar with Kindle... do you use your browser to connect or a specific software?
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
I can confirm. Bought a book 2-3 days ago, no problem, but received the same geographical restrictions message just now. I tried hidemyass and received a different error message:

We're sorry!
An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. If you were trying to make a purchase, please check Your Account to confirm that the order was placed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Doesn't look good.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
amazons website has been doing weird things today....
Like a couple of days ago when I logged in and they had no reading recommendations or record of my recent browsing history. A small thing; but I signed in specifically to return to a recently browsed item.

I've noticed more than one site lately down temporarily for "maintenance." Could there be some kind of cyber-attack in progress? Or is it possible that the major sites are having difficulties dealing with the release this week of Microsoft's Service Pack 2 for Vista?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-04-2009 at 10:12 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Perhaps it has something to do with Amazon getting things ready for a UK release.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
FligMupple
Enthusiast

From the nerdgirl page comments:

"Many thanks to Caroline Wong from the amazon forums for giving a hint to the solution. Amazon is now checking the IP address for those without a valid one-click payment option - generally those purchasing with gift certificates. You need to do a VPN to a US ip address - just do a google on "VPN to US" and download the software. Just run the software before any amazon session. Just bought 3 kindle books of amazon using gift certificates."
Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
Thanks FligMupple. Tried and succeeded.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote