Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer 30 41.67%
The Tide Mill by Richard Herley 7 9.72%
The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre 11 15.28%
Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan 15 20.83%
Soul Identity by Denis Batchelder 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #106
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Finished Flashforward last week, read last month's BotM by Agatha Christie over the past few days. Have started and am 25% through with Neruomancer.
How are you liking Neuromancer? It keeps getting listed as one of the science fiction "must read' books. I tried reading it a couple of months ago and gave up about half way through. It was just too confusing. You never knew what was real and what was not plus all of the made up words were wacky. I guess if I had the time to sit down and read it through in one or two sittings it might be better, but reading it in snippets just didn't work for me.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #107
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
How are you liking Neuromancer? It keeps getting listed as one of the science fiction "must read' books. I tried reading it a couple of months ago and gave up about half way through. It was just too confusing. You never knew what was real and what was not plus all of the made up words were wacky. I guess if I had the time to sit down and read it through in one or two sittings it might be better, but reading it in snippets just didn't work for me.
Cyberpunk is definitely an acquired taste, worth acquiring IMO but then I'm a retired geek. Thanks for reminding me, it is about time for me to reread the Neuromancer trilogy.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #108
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I've tried reading it a few times but could never stomach it. There is much better similar work out there in my opinion.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #109
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone else have problems with Verdant Skies? I'm think I may have a corrupted copy. It resets my Sony 505 every time I try to read it and won't work on the Astak either.

what's interesting is that I converted it to mobi and loaded into my new kindle2 and it seems to work fine there.

??

I went back to smashwords and downloaded the lrf version and it seems to be fine. I also converted the lrf to epub and it seems okay on my Astak now.......I could download the epub again and try it, but I'm tired of fiddling with it...

Last edited by kennyc; 10-18-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #110
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Anyone else have problems with Verdant Skies? I'm think I may have a corrupted copy. It resets my Sony 505 every time I try to read it and won't work on the Astak either.
I bought the .prc version and it worked fine on my Kindle. A few missed edits that I sent to Steve J and he has fixed them already.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #111
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

what's interesting is that I converted it to mobi and loaded into my new kindle2 and it seems to work fine there.

??

I went back to smashwords and downloaded the lrf version and it seems to be fine. I also converted the lrf to epub and it seems okay on my Astak now.......I could download the epub again and try it, but I'm tired of fiddling with it...
ePub worked fine for me, however I bought it direct from Steve instead of Smashwords. I did run it through Calibre first to remove the lines between paragraphs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #112
kennyc

Thanks guys. I was able to download a different format and it is fine. I did not retry the epub version from smashwords.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #113
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
I'm about 91% through it now. I'll probably finish it tonight. The first half was tough. He launches right into jargon and doesn't give the reader enough clues what things are. About halfway through the book, he's just about done debuting new words and jargon. After that, there are a few new locations, which are sometimes hard to tell if they're physical or mental or net locations.

I think you have to like hardcore sci-fi. By hardcore, I mean more hardcore than Star Wars & Star Trek.

I think you should start again from the beginning. You'll remember what most things are, and there won't be so many to figure out that it is so confusing. It does get easier from the second half onward. Half of it is attitude. It isn't like a lot of books where you can just blaze through it. You have to take your time.

Another way to look at it is that it is just one book. Some sci-fi series' are 3-10 books long. They can afford to introduce everything properly, but then you have to keep buying and keep reading for 10 books, and just get bored of it by the end, wishing it was over. (I never finished the Wheel of Time series for this reason; got through about 5 or 6 books then felt like I was being taken advantage of)
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #114
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
When are we starting discussion on Flashforward? (I think I'll have to skim it to re-acquaint myself with it)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #115
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
When are we starting discussion on Flashforward? (I think I'll have to skim it to re-acquaint myself with it)
I think BOb usually start's the threads the last week of the month.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #116
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I was just checking that myself -- 25th as per the initial post here.

btw have you guys also read Verdant Skies? I've not started it yet, still on my to-read list but...

Last edited by kennyc; 10-21-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #117
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
started Verdant Skies yesterday, so I'm up for discussing that book as well!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #118
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
started Verdant Skies yesterday, so I'm up for discussing that book as well!
I just started it yesterday, but I sure won't be ready to discuss it by Monday. I'll have to shield my eyes against spoilers.

BTW: my wife and I went to Vienna & Salzburg on vacation last year. Had the time of our lives. (I'm a Mozart fan, and she just loves to travel) You're lucky to live there mores! Stephansdom was breathtaking & St. Marx Cemetary was pretty spooky.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #119
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yeah I'm still reading Verdant Skies. Didn't get to it until last Friday. I'm shooting to have it read by the end of this week.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #120
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
IBTW: my wife and I went to Vienna & Salzburg on vacation last year. Had the time of our lives. (I'm a Mozart fan, and she just loves to travel) You're lucky to live there mores! Stephansdom was breathtaking & St. Marx Cemetary was pretty spooky.
You know that the only time I (and a lot of my fellow Viennois) truly appreciate the city I live in is when we have guests and show them around. Then we see the city with totally differenty eyes, and agree with our visitors that Vienna is a beautiful city. The rest of the year we just go about our business, in totally different parts of town, and take it all for granted.

Glad you liked it!

Re:Verdant Skies: Steve was so nice and whip up a map of Verdant. I guess it was me just being thick, but I just couldn't visualize the satellite. All this talk of floors and axes and stuff was like a black hole in my brain ... whatever I pieced together just didn't work out.
Here's the "blueprint": http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/bg/verdant_bg.htm
mores is offline   Reply With Quote