Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #21331
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I can't do the laundry (or the vacuum cleaner.) I'm taking allergy medicine that says I shouldn't operate machinery while using.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #21332
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I can't do the laundry (or the vacuum cleaner.) I'm taking allergy medicine that says I shouldn't operate machinery while using.

Stitchawl
By all means, then, don't! Go sit down with a paper book. Or maybe an ebook, since it doesn't have an _engine_ so it isn't a machine. Add in a cup of tea, to make up for not being able to do the chores.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #21333
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
By all means, then, don't! Go sit down with a paper book. Or maybe an ebook, since it doesn't have an _engine_ so it isn't a machine. Add in a cup of tea, to make up for not being able to do the chores.
Actually, as my wife is an elementary school teacher here in Japan, she leaves the house at 7am and doesn't get back until around 8pm every day (and the school is only a five minute drive away...) and I am free all day, I'm basically a 'house husband.' I do everything EXCEPT her laundry (she doesn't trust me with it...) all the cooking and cleaning. But I do take time for tea!

Yesterday I went downtown to buy some digital sensor cleaning equipment. Most camera companies state in their warrantee that they are NOT responsible for damage to the sensor if you clean it yourself, but charge $50-$75 to do it for you. Many camera shops offer sensor cleaning service, and charge at the same rate. It takes less than 10 minutes to clean a digital sensor, it's not difficult, but you do need to use the correct tools. Two of them. One is a squeeze bulb blower (something any photographer SHOULD have anyway) and the other is some sort of either disposable sensor swab or static electric wand. I prefer the swabs with a drop of Eclipse cleaning solution on it for sticky dust that won't just blow off. But the two largest camera stores in Osaka (both 5-6 story buildings... carrying 'almost' everything you can think of for cameras, do NOT sell sensor cleaning equipment! They tell customers that it's too difficult to do themselves and should send their cameras in for service... service that takes about a week and costs a fortune!

I've been using digital cameras for about 5 years. That would equate to about 20-30 sensor cleaning sessions... or about $1,500 USD... for something that takes me 5 minutes to do at a cost of materials of roughly $2 each time. I either use commercially made "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclips" brand pure Methanol, or "Pec-Pads" brand lint-free tissue wrapped over the end of a rubber spatula that I cut to fit the size of my sensor. The trick is to use almost NO pressure, and only make ONE PASS with each side of the swab. I've never needed to use more than two swabs to get the sensor clean, after blowing out all standing dust with the squeeze bulb. When on location, I use the "Arctic Butterfly" if needed.

The Japanese camera shops don't sell any of these products. Bummer... Now I have to make another mail order to the States.

Stitchawl
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #21334
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Do you sit there watching your guitar weeping?

Quote:
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #21335
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Do you sit there watching your guitar weeping?
Actually, I sit there watching my guitar thinking that I really need to change the strings again. I've been playing on the same set for about two months and there is almost no tone left in 'em! I'm the one weeping! It could probably stand a good polishing too, and some lemon oil on the fretboard.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #21336
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Sometimes I really want to kick my father, seriously!

Next weekend my parents are going away for a couple of days. On Saturday R is going to help me in the store, when he was in highschool he used to work Saturdays for us. On Friday I had planned to be on my own. The last couple of times my parents left between 11am and noon (that way they can get there, check into their cabin, have some lunch in the village, go to the supermarket and settle in for the weekend). But this time he doesn't want to leave before 5pm (which means that they'll end up in rush hour and are probably too late to go to the supermarket).

I can handle a day on my own! And I'm not even on my own since my sister doesn't have to go to work and she can get lunch for us and keep me company if needed. He claims it's because it's been busy lately, that's true but last year when he got his dentures I ran the store on my own for a week and it was much busier than it is now and customers just have to deal with the fact that he isn't there. It isn't as if they go away much (last time in February and before that my parents hadn't been away for 3 years).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #21337
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Today's rant is book reviews. Sure, we've all read terrible reviews that worry about formatting over story or didn't like the price one paid. I appreciate the warnings on quality of editing, but they don't warrant trashing the entire book. What I really want to rant about today is those reviews where what you read doesn't add up to the stars. On GoodReads you can rate things from 1 I didn't like it to 2 it was okay to 3 I liked it to 4 I really liked it to 5 it was amazing. So I look at a reivew for a book that says 2 stars and I think it's just not a worthwhile read. Then I read bits like "I didn't expect to like it" and I think so why did you pick it up if you had a preconception of suckage? Then I read that it has a lot going stylistically and puts the fun in dysfunctional. 2 stars? I just put it on my want to read list.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #21338
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that comes December that the world ends. That would be a great laugh. But It won't happen sadly
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #21339
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I hope that comes December that the world ends. That would be a great laugh. But It won't happen sadly
Don't you just hate that when the world won't end when you want it to?
I like the guys that started up the "mind your dog service" for Christians who are going up in the rapture. There's always room for an antrepreneur.

They ask, what book would you take with you on a deserted island?
I ask what book would you take with you to heaven?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #21340
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Technology and cheapskate rant:

My parents are going away for a couple of days this weekend. However, the cottage they booked only has wired internet. My father wanted to get an extra access point to take with him to create a wifi network.

Last week he went to the store and they advised him to get a certain router, that was cheaper and it would also be possible to set up as AP and it would tell you how to do so in the manual. Since my father hadn't yet set the thing up I thought I was being nice this morning by doing it for him.

I spend an hour and I haven't managed to get it into AP-mode and connect with our router. The manual doesn't say how to set it up as an AP and both the English and Dutch manual don't correspond with the set-up menu on screen. I checked if there was another manual available (not) or if there was new firmware available (not). After an hour I started to feel like throwing the thing out of the window, instead I reset it back to factory defaults, disconnected it and put it back where I found it.

My father's going to bring it back to the store tomorrow, and now I'm looking for a real, more expensive but easier to set up AP.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #21341
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Dante's Inferno?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #21342
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post

The God Delusion?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #21343
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just a short note to remind everyone before things get out of hand that this is not the opt-in Politics and Religion forum.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-31-2012 at 02:42 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #21344
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Sorry Tom, but I have proof that there IS a God, and he/she has a really warped sense of humor...
I rode up to the jagged coastline of the Sea of Japan for four days of landscape/seascape photograph. I brought all my best landscape lenses, going from my workhorse 17-35 f/2.8 up to my 28-70 f/2.8. I even threw in a 105 macro and a few extension tubes just in case it rained all week, so I'd have something to keep me busy.
Not so much room on a motorcycle for all the lenses, spare body, big tripod, filters, etc. and a couple of flashes... plus my clothing and rain gear... but I had all the camera gear I could possibly need...

So what do I see all day yesterday and today? EAGLES. HAWKS. Troops of Monkeys...
My 400mm VR lens is safely at home... My 600mm lens is sitting right beside it. And I'm watching Eagles soar over me, one even had a fish in its talons as it flew by, and I'm sitting there with a wide angle 17mm lens on my camera... It's just not fair. God, I know you are sitting up there getting a big laugh out this one!

Stitchawl
Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #21345
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hello everyone

i hope you're all doing well.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness