Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #91
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I used Go Launcher on the original Fire and loved it. I think members on Kindleboards have said the ADW launcher is working on the newest versions of Fire.
Rule of thumb for the KFHD....

Unrooted KFHD - run ADW Launcher EX
Rooted KFHD - run Go Launcher
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #92
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tried reading some threads earlier today at BB with this Player and the text even in landscape was fugly.
Is there a mobile version of this forum I could try next go around?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #93
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Tried reading some threads earlier today at BB with this Player and the text even in landscape was fugly.
The screen on the SGP line of devices is terrible. For $20 more than the price of an SGP5 I picked up a new Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Granted, it is a 4.5" screen (vs the 5" screen) but the quality and performance are stellar.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #94
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You can change the font. Check out XDA for Flip Fonts because the default font is pretty bad but it's not the screen it's the font that makes text look horrible. I use Nokia Pure but there are tons to choose from.

Tapatalk app is the best thing for keeping up with MobileRead on a device. It's awesome!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #95
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The screen on the SGP line of devices is terrible. For $20 more than the price of an SGP5 I picked up a new Galaxy SII Skyrocket. Granted, it is a 4.5" screen (vs the 5" screen) but the quality and performance are stellar.
I don't know if I agree with that.I think the screen is pretty good. I prefer to it my KF. I do think the font rendering could be improved but seeing you can change fonts to one you like it's not really an issue.
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #96
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't know if I agree with that.I think the screen is pretty good. I prefer to it my KF. I do think the font rendering could be improved but seeing you can change fonts to one you like it's not really an issue.
I agree the SGP5 is a great little gadget, and the screen is fine to me.

Back to my problem of Go Launcher, if it didn't install did it do any damage? What do I delete?

What did it do to your Fire? Should I reset the KFHD back to factory? Hope not. It seems okay, doesn't seem broke.

I installed Go Launcher on the SGP5, and then uninstalled, it really didn't make the SGP5 any pretty or more organized. I wanted something to get rid of carousel. I am going to try ADW.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #97
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Doesn't going that route require a contract? Where did you purchase it?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #98
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
You can change the font. Check out XDA for Flip Fonts because the default font is pretty bad but it's not the screen it's the font that makes text look horrible. I use Nokia Pure but there are tons to choose from.

Tapatalk app is the best thing for keeping up with MobileRead on a device. It's awesome!
Thanks. I will try those suggestions.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #99
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Doesn't going that route require a contract? Where did you purchase it?
Nope. There are many places online and brick-n-mortar stores where you can buy no-contract phones. I bought mine new on eBay, but similar models are available at places like Walmart for $250-300.

All of the no-contract smartphones that I've purchased have been fully functional except for making cellular phone calls. But everything else works as expected... even using it as a VOIP handset.

Within a few months we'll be able to walk into a store and buy a Galaxy Note for under $300 (no contract required).
Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #100
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Nope. There are many places online and brick-n-mortar stores where you can buy no-contract phones. I bought mine new on eBay, but similar models are available at places like Walmart for $250-300.

All of the no-contract smartphones that I've purchased have been fully functional except for making cellular phone calls. But everything else works as expected... even using it as a VOIP handset.

Within a few months we'll be able to walk into a store and buy a Galaxy Note for under $300 (no contract required).
Thanks for your reply.

I can get a SG3 at BB for $499 no contract with Metro PCS. Guess I'll wait it out for cheaper options within stores. I rather not go the online route. Best Buy and Walmart are close and easy to deal with regarding returns. I think the latter has the SG2 for $300 no contract with T-Mobile but I'd rather have the Note or SG3.

I think Jessica has the Skyrocket and I'm pretty sure she likes it alot.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #101
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Back to the SGP5 topic App Launcher

Well back to my problem with that app from XXXX. Since it was acting flakey I deregistered to clear everything.

No better solutions were to be found here. So back to square one.

I am not, repeat not, putting any more apps that are not from Amazon. Just for this reason. Okay I have screen dim, and Moon +, but that is all. I repeat this for my benefit I have to restrain from loading more apps.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #102
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Well back to my problem with that app from XXXX. Since it was acting flakey I deregistered to clear everything.

I am not, repeat not, putting any more apps that are not from Amazon. Just for this reason. Okay I have screen dim, and Moon +, but that is all. I repeat this for my benefit I have to restrain from loading more apps.
I learn the hard way not to put apps on unless they were tried and tested. I only have a hand full of apps on my Fire. Lots of apps on my SGP5 though.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #103
new

Quote:
I learn the hard way not to put apps on unless they were tried and tested. I only have a hand full of apps on my Fire. Lots of apps on my SGP5 though.
I am reloading some of my apps and I am running a bit scared, lol. I really don't want to do this redoing again. Is that what you had to do when you loaded something bad on your Kindle Fire 1?

Which Dolphin is okay to use? Where is the safe list, I don't want to read through 16 pages (or whatever) of Apps used that I read before. I swear it said the Go Launcher was okay. I didn't even really care for it on the SGP5. It was too confusing to me.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #104
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I am reloading some of my apps and I am running a bit scared, lol. I really don't want to do this redoing again. Is that what you had to do when you loaded something bad on your Kindle Fire 1?

Which Dolphin is okay to use? Where is the safe list, I don't want to read through 16 pages (or whatever) of Apps used that I read before. I swear it said the Go Launcher was okay. I didn't even really care for it on the SGP5. It was too confusing to me.
Just stay away from anything that changes the UI of the Fire or Keyboard or Settings and you should be okay.

Any Dolphin browser will be fine. I had to do a factory reset on my Fire but that one died on me anyway the replacement I have I've been really careful using. The only sideloaded apps I have on it is Goodreads, Opera Mobile, Dropbox, Screen Dim, Mantano 2.3, ColorDict, WiFi Switch Bar, Lock Screen (not HD comp.) and ES File Explorer.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #105
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:

I de-registered a KFHD and the apps were still loaded - just not listed in Favorites menu or the carousel. (I am a bit confused as to whether you are discussing the SGP5 or the KFHD here) If the KFHD, you may want to Factory Reset to actually clear out installed apps.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote