Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
mrmcmanus
mrmcmanus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (various), Nook color
Kobo Glo availability in US?

When you go to Kobo's site, it lists several retailers in the US for buying, but none of them have it. The closest to an answer is Best Buy which says "coming soon" which can mean anything or nothing. Target is on Kobo's list but Target has not carried Kobo for awhile. There is no contact number for Kobo to ask when the Glo will be available. Does anyone have information on this or a Kobo contact number? I queried them on Twitter but had no response and don't know how often they monitor Twitter.
mrmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kobo hasn't announced dates for anywhere except Canada and the UK (& maybe France?) where the devices are now out. I don't think you'll get any answer directly from them except coming soon, but you can try 1-866-204-4714 although I don't know if it's a good number anymore.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
tigereyes1331
tigereyes1331 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Availability

I emailed, and they have no release dates for the US as of yet. They told me to keep checking in with the retailers. If you go to the bottom of the screen when you click the glo ereader you will see an area where it says Get HELP. If you click that it will take you to another page where you can ask a question. But to the right of that it says contact kobo. It will give you a phone number of 1-855-732-3662 or an email, which I cant access at this time.

Hope this helps. Cant wait to get it. There is one ereader company that is selling them online for 189.00 I think it is get ereader.com or something like that. I would not pay that much for it. So I am waiting and thinking about driving to Canada to get;-)
tigereyes1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The company is shopereaders.com. Based on his post in the below thread, it appears that EldRick has ordered a Mini from them. I hope he reports back when he gets it...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193069
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
BestBuy now shows the Kobo Mini available for shipment in Black. It also says normally ships in one day.

The White Mini has the "add to cart" button activated. However, it shows only available for store pick-up and none of the stores (at least in Missouri) show stock at this time.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Waiting for the Mini in the mail...

BTW, U.S. Best Buy still shows Coming Soon for both Glo and Mini

Last edited by EldRick; 10-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
BTW, U.S. Best Buy still shows Coming Soon for both Glo and Mini
That's weird. You could definately buy the black mini this morning when I checked.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

My bet is that someone in BB merchandising noticed that the Mini had been removed, re-listed it, and goofed when they added it back in, so that it showed as available - an error that was soon corrected.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
I ordered a Kobo Mini from Best Buy (online) yesterday, and paid an extra $8 for 2-3 day shipping (next day shipping was $18). Anyway, order placed around 11a yesterday (Central time) and it was supposed to arrive Thursday or Friday. I got the shipping notice last night, checked the status at lunch, and it had been delivered already. Nice! It was delivered to work, but I work from home on Wednesdays, so I haven't had a chance to open it. A coworker is bringing it to me after work. So this is a long, rambling way to say that they did have some available, unless I find out I got something completely different when I open the box in 2 hours. I'll update later this evening to confirm I did indeed get the black Kobo Mini I ordered (and I will be returning my Kindle PW, but that is off topic here ).
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
I ordered a Kobo Mini from Best Buy (online) yesterday, and paid an extra $8 for 2-3 day shipping (next day shipping was $18). Anyway, order placed around 11a yesterday (Central time) and it was supposed to arrive Thursday or Friday. I got the shipping notice last night, checked the status at lunch, and it had been delivered already. Nice! It was delivered to work, but I work from home on Wednesdays, so I haven't had a chance to open it. A coworker is bringing it to me after work. So this is a long, rambling way to say that they did have some available, unless I find out I got something completely different when I open the box in 2 hours. I'll update later this evening to confirm I did indeed get the black Kobo Mini I ordered (and I will be returning my Kindle PW, but that is off topic here ).
I was going to ask if anyone had ordered, thinking they may have sold out quickly.

Can't wait to hear what you think of it.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
It was indeed the black Kobo Mini that I ordered, so I guess BB must have had a limited supply. I just took it out of the box, and boy does it feel small (in a good way). Feels smaller than my old Sony prs-350, though I haven't compared specs on the 2 devices.

I'll try to find a more appropriate thread for my impressions tomorrow.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
EldRick
Evangelist

Lucky guy.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
mrmcmanus
mrmcmanus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (various), Nook color
I suspect as others have pointed out, that it is a matter of supply, especially for the screens of the Kobo Glo. There is on youtube a comparison of the Nook simple touch with glow light and the Kobo Glo and after viewing this, I truly lust after the Glo which has so many features in regard to fonts. I already have a Paperwhite and really like it, but I also would like something for reading e-pub which is why my interest in the Glo. A lot of digital library books are only available in e-pub, anything new from Penguin being an example. But I warn you, if you watch this video, you will be wanting the Glo. I am willing to wait, but very impatiently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1kin1xQEM

And if Canadians are feeling smug that they have it and we don't, I think they are entitled since they are currently locked out of the Paperwhite and the Kindle Fire.
mrmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
jrasmussen
jrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheesejrasmussen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Arc7 HD, Kobo Glo
indie bookstore hope!

I have been corresponding with a local independent bookstore (Madison, WI) and received an email from them today stating they have placed their order and expect them in early next week.

Here's the blog post from the-ebook-reader.com that led me to investigate the independent bookstores: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-anytime-soon/
"The most promising option is they are supposed to be arriving on October 27th to independent bookstores thanks to a new partnership with the American Booksellers Association (ABA)."

Last edited by jrasmussen; 10-22-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added info
jrasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have been corresponding with a local independent bookstore (Madison, WI) and received an email from them today stating they have placed their order and expect them in early next week.

And the name of the book store is?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote