Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #241
RandomFiend
RandomFiend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
First off, I must admit that I'm new to the forum, and registered in the strength of this thread. I marvel at the commitment, dedication and ingenuity that went into this project.

Awe aside, I'm obliged to mention my ulterior motive for posting. I'm using a DXG, and love the enhancements brought by 3.2.1. However, I must report that I get random freezes while reading, in fact, I don't believe that a session lasted more than an hour before I have to force a restart. As far as I can tell, I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I suspect that it might have something to do with the fact that I had to obtain the update image from 'other' sources, but I can't be certain.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
RandomFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #242
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFiend View Post
First off, I must admit that I'm new to the forum, and registered in the strength of this thread. I marvel at the commitment, dedication and ingenuity that went into this project.

Awe aside, I'm obliged to mention my ulterior motive for posting. I'm using a DXG, and love the enhancements brought by 3.2.1. However, I must report that I get random freezes while reading, in fact, I don't believe that a session lasted more than an hour before I have to force a restart. As far as I can tell, I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I suspect that it might have something to do with the fact that I had to obtain the update image from 'other' sources, but I can't be certain.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Next time this happens, as soon as you restart, type the following into the search box ";dumpMessages" and in order to type the semicolon, you press a random letter, backspace, and use the symbols key. After doing so, send me the log txt found in the documents folder.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #243
flashwei
flashwei began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for yifanlu's great job! It works perfectly on my kindle 2.

I have a question. Since I don't have a kindle 3, I used an image from thepiratebay. According to yifanlu's comment the jailbreak is installed on this image, but how can I tell if this 3.2.1 software on my kindle 2 is jailbroken or not?
flashwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #244
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashwei View Post
Thanks for yifanlu's great job! It works perfectly on my kindle 2.

I have a question. Since I don't have a kindle 3, I used an image from thepiratebay. According to yifanlu's comment the jailbreak is installed on this image, but how can I tell if this 3.2.1 software on my kindle 2 is jailbroken or not?
Umm, why not install a hack and see if it works?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #245
RandomFiend

As is typical, it hasn't crashed since I've asked for help. If it misbehaves again, I'll send you the log file that you requested.
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #246
flashwei
flashwei began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Umm, why not install a hack and see if it works?
I installed the font hack and it worked!!! Thanks yifanlu!!!
flashwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #247
RandomFiend

Well, it finally crashed again. So, I have included the log. I also have to report that when I have Wireless enabled, it quite literally chews through the battery life.
Attached Files
File Type: zip all_logs_as_of_Fri_Jun_17_07.34.07_IST_2011.zip (212.4 KB, 525 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #248
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

PSA: Do NOT change your kindle's serial

I know that I've said before that you can enable active contents by swapping serial with another kindle. I didn't realize how dangerous that is until today.

Usually, if you de-register your kindle and re-register, amazon should send your device a certificate file. However, for after changing the serial, amazon's server refuses to send your device a certificate (maybe a recent change because it worked before). Anyways, it basically blocks you from whispernet by refusing to send the device a certificate.

If this happened to do, contact me. I've finally figure a way out after hours, but it's complicated. It involves extracting a backup cert, breaking the encryption (find the password), then modify it and use it to generate a new certificate.

I'm not sure why this happened. It may have been an accident, like I was trying to register in middle of a maintainance, but to be safe, refrain from changing your serial.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #249
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
PSA: Do NOT change your kindle's serial

I know that I've said before that you can enable active contents by swapping serial with another kindle. I didn't realize how dangerous that is until today.

Usually, if you de-register your kindle and re-register, amazon should send your device a certificate file. However, for after changing the serial, amazon's server refuses to send your device a certificate (maybe a recent change because it worked before). Anyways, it basically blocks you from whispernet by refusing to send the device a certificate.

If this happened to do, contact me. I've finally figure a way out after hours, but it's complicated. It involves extracting a backup cert, breaking the encryption (find the password), then modify it and use it to generate a new certificate.

I'm not sure why this happened. It may have been an accident, like I was trying to register in middle of a maintainance, but to be safe, refrain from changing your serial.
So just do not deregister....
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #250
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by linshi View Post
So just do not deregister....
But my point is that amazon didn't give me a certificate. I don't know why, but what if they changed it so if serial number != IMSI or something, it will refuse to give you a certificate.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #251
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
But my point is that amazon didn't give me a certificate. I don't know why, but what if they changed it so if serial number != IMSI or something, it will refuse to give you a certificate.
I suppose that the SN is binded with IMEI or MAC address or something else. Because I encounter the same problem, but after I restore the original sn, whirspernet works again.
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #252
danfinkelstein
Kindle User
danfinkelstein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Battery Life on the DXG & 3.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFiend View Post
Well, it finally crashed again. So, I have included the log. I also have to report that when I have Wireless enabled, it quite literally chews through the battery life.
I've been using the piratebay's version of 3.2.1, which I noticed was acknowledged though not necessarily blessed by Yifan, but haven't had any crashes. I can confirm, though, that the battery drains quite dramatically. Also, waking from sleep is quick when the Kindle was put the sleep about no more than 10s prior, but any more than that can delay waking up to 30s.
danfinkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #253
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
i was about to ask the same question. My kindle DXG is on 3.2.1. I used 2.5.8 for a short time and didn't have enough time to test 3g battery drain.

On 3.2.1 battery drain on 3g is really dramatic, is that so on 2.5.8 too or is this a bug caused by 3.2.1?
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #254
danfinkelstein
Kindle User
danfinkelstein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
On 3.2.1 battery drain on 3g is really dramatic, is that so on 2.5.8 too or is this a bug caused by 3.2.1?
It's not the same on 2.5.8: the battery with 3G-on lasts as-advertised, which is about a week or so. 3.2.1 is what really kicks it.
danfinkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #255
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfinkelstein View Post
It's not the same on 2.5.8: the battery with 3G-on lasts as-advertised, which is about a week or so. 3.2.1 is what really kicks it.
i was suspecting i had a faulty battery (though it lasts as advertised when 3g is off) so thanks for the explanation.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote