Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Can't connect to my PC

I JUST got my Kindle 2.0 and was very happy until I tried to connect it to my PC and nothing happened. The battery icon doesn't have a lightning bolt on it (it's about 90% charged right now so it SHOULD be charging when I hooked it up, shouldn't it?) but the yellow light at the bottom of the Kindle is lit. The Kindle's screen doesn't change to the USB screen that the How To guide said it should and my computer doesn't show an extra drive plugged into it or any other message. I tried plugging my Kindle into 3 different USB ports on my computer so it wasn't the USB port's fault. I'm hoping to bring this baby to work (to brag/show off with) and was really hoping to load it with some goodies tonight. Thanks!!

PS: I have wireless off at them moment. I don't think that would change anything, but just in case...

Last edited by ziplizard; 02-26-2009 at 09:25 PM.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've read many who had the same complaint, Amazon is sending them new units
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
ziplizard
Enthusiast

Darn. I was hoping I just missed turning on the "Magically everything works now" button or something. I just sent out an e-mail to Amazon. I guess here comes another week or so of constantly watching the 'Track My Packages' page

Ervserver: Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
mine did the same thing, and all i needed to do was hold down the power buttin for the prescribed 15 seconds to reset it and all was well. Give it a shot, your mileage may vary.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
ziplizard
Enthusiast

adfleisher: I just tried that and no go (and yes, I saw the 'boot-up' screen when it was turning on). My kindle hates me
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
peekay
peekay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
15 seconds reboot worked for my brand spankin new kindle 2. Out of the box I got no connection when I plugged the USB into my mac - but now things are running smoothly thanks for the help!
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
PK1
PK1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I can't get mine to charge either and I did the reboot twice. I don't want to give it up already
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
ziplizard
Enthusiast

Okay, this was really stupid of me, but all I had to do was restart my PC (I don't do that very often b/c it takes forever to reboot and then it took me, like, 3 more restarts before I got my PC normal stuff all working...).

FYI, every time my computer froze and I had to restart before I was able to unplug my Kindle properly, I had to do that hard reset thing on my Kindle.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
cejaxon
cejaxon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Problems with connecting to PC or Mac

First, I want to thank folks in this forum & in others I read for helping me troubleshoot the same problem I experienced with my husband's new Kindle 2 (I'm a tech writer, so he lets me solve all his toys' tech problems). We experienced this problem (of the computer not recognizing the Kindle via the USB connection) on both of our Macs & on my office's PC (Windows XP). Per other places on the web, I've seen it has happened to Vista users as well.

Using the reset button was -- for us -- the solution. I did have to reset it more than once, so for those of you who may not yet have had success, be sure to fiddle a bit. Assuming you have the USB hooked up to both your Kindle & computer while you hold the reset button (try counting slowly to 20), on your Kindle, you should see an image of the USB cable when the Kindle is in the correct state of "resettedness." Shortly after that, I saw the Kindle appear in the Finder window. Happy day!

My question/beef is: what's up with Kindle support? & what's up with Kindle documentation? I emailed Amazon a query about this issue before I did the online research & the reply I got from them was that I had to call them personally. Huh? This is clearly a common problem & (for most people) one with a simple, easy-to-describe-solution. Per the online fora, this was a problem for Kindle 1, also. So why doesn't the documentation contain a little troubleshooting tip to this effect & why aren't the support people aware of this simple trick to resolve a seemingly pervasive & common problem? Since it seems to be an intermittent problem also (per what I've read, if you "solve" it once, it may recur but the solution will work again), I recognize that it may be difficult to fix on the Kindle itself, but fixing the documentation & training the support team is comparatively cheap.

This isn't something Amazon can or should hide because they want to pretend the Kindle is problem-free -- iPods have a similar issue & Apple takes the lead in informing users about the "the 5 R's." I hope Amazon fixes its response to this issue since Bezos is betting the store -- so to speak -- on Kindle's success.
cejaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
GRU
GRU began at the beginning.

Ervserver,
I wish! Actually I made the mistake of telling Amazon that a friend's laptop recognized it so they said problem solved even though it doesn't work on MY computer! And since then have consistently ignored my pleas for help.
GRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
Ervserver,
I wish! Actually I made the mistake of telling Amazon that a friend's laptop recognized it so they said problem solved even though it doesn't work on MY computer! And since then have consistently ignored my pleas for help.
Did your computer act as though it was installing new driver software when you first connected it?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
GRU
GRU began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Did your computer act as though it was installing new driver software when you first connected it?
No, it didn't respond whatsoever--it acted as if nothing had been plugged into it. Any ideas?
Thank you.
GRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
No, it didn't respond whatsoever--it acted as if nothing had been plugged into it. Any ideas?
Thank you.
What OS are you using?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thank you.
Do other USB devices work, like for example, a thumb drive?

Make sure you try the USB ports on the "back" of your computer in addition to those in the front.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
KCB
KCB began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 and 2
back ports usually have more power.. also, it could be your anti-virus/spyware software holding it up.. turn it off and try it. if it works, then mark it as safe so it works with the software turned on.
KCB is offline   Reply With Quote