Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Kindle 3: Connecting to intranet Wifi router ?

Hello

I want to connect Kindle3 to a web server to run some web applications on Kindle3 via intranet. It seems that Kindle3 tries to connect to Whispernet when making a connection to a Wifi router. Kindle3 can connect to the Wifi router if the router is connected to the outside world. But Kindle3 doesn't connect to the router, when the LAN cable to the router is removed.

Is there a solution to connect Kindle3 to a Wifi router which is not connected to internet ? It is important for my application because I want to set up a closed wireless network in a remote site and use Kindle3 to run web applications.

Thank you.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Have you considered installing the web applications on the Kindle itself? You maybe have more luck going down that route, but it wouldn't be straightforward either. At the moment you can only access localhost if the Kindle is connected to a WIFI network, otherwise it tries to route everything through the amazon proxy.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Is it a 3G+WiFi Kindle? The 3G connection stays on even if you're using WiFi so that'd appear as the only valid route out to the internet.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Hello

I want to connect Kindle3 to a web server to run some web applications on Kindle3 via intranet. It seems that Kindle3 tries to connect to Whispernet when making a connection to a Wifi router. Kindle3 can connect to the Wifi router if the router is connected to the outside world. But Kindle3 doesn't connect to the router, when the LAN cable to the router is removed.

Is there a solution to connect Kindle3 to a Wifi router which is not connected to internet ? It is important for my application because I want to set up a closed wireless network in a remote site and use Kindle3 to run web applications.

Thank you.
I'm going to make a few assumptions:
- your router has wifi capability
- your router serves up all IP addresses in your intranet/LAN, whether these are wireless or wired devices
- the cable you are removing goes to your internet provider (WAN)
- it sounds like the server you want to talk to is 'visible' on the internet at large, but is physically on your intranet. I assume your router is configured to provide passthrough to it, since you say things work if your router is connected to the internet, and your Kindle uses 3G.

If Kindle connects via 3G, it gets an IP from the mobile provider (AT&T), and your router handles the connection back to the server. If you disconnect the router from the internet, this path is no longer available, and the only possible connection to the server would be to use wi-fi.

If Kindle connect the via wifi, Kindle gets an IP from your router, and so you must use the local IP address of your server. The server has to accept connections over a local address on some port.

For example, I have a server set up on local address 192.150.23.124:8080, so that is the address I use with Kindle's browser when connecting to it over wifi. I haven't opened a port in my router to allow it to be connected to from the internet, but if I did, I would be using the IP assigned to the router by my ISP, and some port I've designated to pass through to the server.

Hope this is helpful.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

I have a Kindle Wifi. I simply want to connect it to the Wifi router which is not connected to the internet provider. But it seems not possible.

You can test this by unpluging the LAN cable connecting to the Wifi router. A laptop can still connect to the router to communicate with local PCs/servers. But Kindle which could connect to the router will not be able to connect to the router any more. It seems that Kindle tries to search for Whispernet when connecting.

Is there a workaround to connect a Kindle Wifi to a Wifi router in a closed network which is not connected to an internet provider?

@tomsem:
My Kindle can access my server on a local address (192.168.xxx.xxx:8080), "only if" the router is connected to the ISP. That is the problem for me at the moment. In an actual application, the system will be use in bridges for bridge monitoring. So I will not have an access to the ISP. I still wonder why Kindle cannot connect to the router while other PCs can. I think that a Kindle Wifi looks for Amazon servers when connecting to a Wifi router. If it cannot find the Amazon server, the connection cannot be done. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by aruangra; 11-03-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
There are some settings in a few files that seem to relate to the amazon proxy servers, but I haven't been able to manage to get any changes to them to take effect.

Last edited by Acorn; 11-03-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I have a Kindle Wifi. I simply want to connect it to the Wifi router which is not connected to the internet provider. But it seems not possible.

You can test this by unpluging the LAN cable connecting to the Wifi router. A laptop can still connect to the router to communicate with local PCs/servers. But Kindle which could connect to the router will not be able to connect to the router any more. It seems that Kindle tries to search for Whispernet when connecting.

Is there a workaround to connect a Kindle Wifi to a Wifi router in a closed network which is not connected to an internet provider?

@tomsem:
My Kindle can access my server on a local address (192.168.xxx.xxx:8080), "only if" the router is connected to the ISP. That is the problem for me at the moment. In an actual application, the system will be use in bridges for bridge monitoring. So I will not have an access to the ISP. I still wonder why Kindle cannot connect to the router while other PCs can. I think that a Kindle Wifi looks for Amazon servers when connecting to a Wifi router. If it cannot find the Amazon server, the connection cannot be done. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Ok, I understand the issue now and have reproduced it.

Also I find that I cannot share my laptop's internet connection with Kindle via wi-fi as I can with other wi-fi devices like my iPod Touch.

It's really unfortunate this is the case - I cannot think of any reason except that Amazon thinks the user experience is 'simpler' somehow. Looks like another subject for kindle-feedback@amazon.com...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's really unfortunate this is the case - I cannot think of any reason except that Amazon thinks the user experience is 'simpler' somehow. Looks like another subject for kindle-feedback@amazon.com...
Not really. The Kindle isn't designed to be used as a interface to your own private network. It is more likely that a user ends up accidentally connecting to a private WiFi network when they wanted internet than aruangra's usage.

In one of the diagnostic info pages, you'll see that it checks whether it can access several different kinds of Kindle servers. One of those checks must determine whether it routes over the WiFi connection or not. As I previously mentioned, the Kindle 3G+WiFi still has a 3G connection even if WiFi is enabled so in these cases, it will just ignore the WiFi connection.

For the intended purpose of a Kindle, the way they've done it is correct. If WiFi has no internet connectivity then fallback to 3G. If you've got a WiFi only Kindle then you can't connect to Amazon anyway.

If you can find out what servers the Kindle is checking against then you may be able to fake it enough that it will think that you've got an internet connection. If it actually talks to the server and does some form of negotiation then this might not be practical however. If it just wants to ping it or maybe connect to see if something is there but doesn't care whether it receives a reply then it'll be fine.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
aruangra
Connoisseur

Thank you for your comments. I may use a MiFi mobile router with 3G to get internet to my network. I find that Kindle is a good mobile device in fields for accessing some simple web applications because of a long battery life, portability, and the e-ink screen.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

You could probably alter the scripts to connect no matter what if you jailbreak the Kindle. I've no idea whether it would affect anything else though and may affect Whispernet.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
aruangra
Connoisseur

Could you suggest me how to do that?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Could you suggest me how to do that?
Jailbreak it. Install USBNetwork/SSH and then start looking around. I don't know the specifics of what to alter as I've not tried. Time to do your own testing but don't break the Kindle :P