Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Microsoft’s Creative Destruction (with Tablet PC reminiscing!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/op...ml?ref=opinion
Dick Brass was a vice president at Microsoft from 1997 to 2004

Quote:
Another example: When we were building the tablet PC in 2001, the vice president in charge of Office at the time decided he didn’t like the concept. The tablet required a stylus, and he much preferred keyboards to pens and thought our efforts doomed. To guarantee they were, he refused to modify the popular Office applications to work properly with the tablet. So if you wanted to enter a number into a spreadsheet or correct a word in an e-mail message, you had to write it in a special pop-up box, which then transferred the information to Office. Annoying, clumsy and slow.

So once again, even though our tablet had the enthusiastic support of top management and had cost hundreds of millions to develop, it was essentially allowed to be sabotaged. To this day, you still can’t use Office directly on a Tablet PC. And despite the certainty that an Apple tablet was coming this year, the tablet group at Microsoft was eliminated.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I also think that the hardware was just not there in 2001. Processors were too slow, ran hot, and were power hungry. Integrated video processors were very poor performing too. Batteries were barely acceptable. The LCD panels were power hungry. The touch panels were not there either. Hard drives were slow, power hungry, and low capacity.

Today the outlook is much more promising in my opinion. The tablet idea is great, the early attempts just did not have the needed hardware available.

Last edited by CyGuy; 02-04-2010 at 12:48 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I am typing this on a convertible TabletPC I've had since 2003. (I've gotten in the habit of using it in laptop mode rather than tablet mode since Calibre doesn't support the tablet input panel.) This tablet got me through school - I have fond (?) memories of taking notes in calculus, switching colors on the fly, matching up the colors of the labels to the lines or curves in the graph to make it clear to what I was referring to. It was great, and while I had to switch batteries to make it through the day, I had enough CPU.

I'm glad they're making a "comeback." To some of us, they never left. In fact, we're seriously considering a refurbished convertible for my husband this very minute.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I also think that the hardware was just not there in 2001. Processors were too slow, ran hot, and were power hungry. Integrated video processors were very poor performing too. Batteries were barely acceptable. The LCD panels were power hungry. The touch panels were not there either. Hard drives were slow, power hungry, and low capacity.
Nuts. Look up the Fujitsu Stylistic 1200... worked great.

Then they changed to this silly convertible model which added a ton of weight and size...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote