Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Jeff Bezos on Charlie Rose show

Great interview. Jeff spent about 70% of the interview discussing the K2.

Some highlights:

May do video some day. Technology is several years away.

K2 will never be a swiss army knife. Meant to be an in-depth reading experience. Only offer the mp3 capability because it doesn't take away from anything.

Would love to have color. Would improve the reading experience. It will come.

Publishers need to get on board with ebooks, comparison made to the music industry. Wants every book ever printed to be available.

Over 10% of all Amazon book sales are Kindle sales, EVER! That was a pretty amazing stat.

Was not happy about lack of inventory during last 2 Christmas's. Was definitely not planned.

Renting books is an interesting and reasonable idea. Not being worked on, but will consider.

Device will get cheaper over time. Wants it to be cheap, but technology is too new and expensive. And there is no monthly fee for cell service. Would love to get it much more widespread.

Would not budge at all on # of Kindles sold, even though Charlie gave him a really hard time about it. It was kinda weird.

There was more, but this is what I remember.
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Cool! Thanks
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Arrow

Below are links to several interviews Bezos did with Rose.

It shows the new interview but the link isnt active yet, so I suppose it may take a day or two for them to upload the video. OTOH, his 2007 interview with the old K1 is there as well. You can also see what he said on other things which may be interesting.

http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/2618

Last edited by jibril; 02-27-2009 at 04:52 AM.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Watched the new interview tonight. Was very good, I always like to nitpick:

1. I've watched Charlie Rose many times, and I'm continually annoyed by his tendency to interrupt a guest's answer with a completely unrelated question. He did this to Bezos as well, which I find very off-putting.

2. I'm getting annoyed with Bezos' laugh. In fact, he seems to make a point to do it in every interview he does, which makes it seem like a gimmick and disingenuous.

3. As a "numbers" guy myself, I'm annoyed that they won't talk about numbers for Kindle. Charlie did a good job of trying to ask the question many times, but he never challenged Bezos' answers. If Amazon just wants numbers to be secret, why then do they provide, for example, sales rankings on their items? Clearly there is a reason they're treating Kindle secretively. My experience is that companies only do this when numbers are "low", or lower than a milestone number that they will be happy to announce once they reach it. So my guess is they've sold less than a million Kindles. But clearly the average Kindle owner buys a *lot* of Kindle books, if those are making up 10% of book sales.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I cant imagine that the kindle has sold less than expected or hoped for considering how many times and how long its been sold out.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He did say that they sold more than they expected. He just wouldn't give specifics. He said Amazon has always been that way about sales numbers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's obviously sold more than expected, but I don't think they've hit a pyschologically satisfying number. Nobody wants to hear that Amazon has "only" sold 200,000 Kindles.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
i think bezos laughs when he feels uncomfortable.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

ooh. and bezos ought to be informed that the mp3 capability can be important to the reading experience. if you throw on brian eno's ambient i, music for airports -- or whatever music works for you, you can still manage to read on the train while people around you are yapping on their cellphones.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
I cant imagine that the kindle has sold less than expected or hoped for considering how many times and how long its been sold out.
I absolutely agree. When an item is backordered it means sales are better than expected... because you usually make close to or a bit more than you expect to sell.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I absolutely agree. When an item is backordered it means sales are better than expected... because you usually make close to or a bit more than you expect to sell.

BOb
Bezos said they completely underestimated demand. They factored in a cushion into the supply numbers and they still were under.

Oh and to Thorn's point about mp3's...Bezos agrees with you, which is the only reason the capability is there.

Last edited by MattEcho; 02-27-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added mp3
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I watched the tail end of the interview. I agree with him that the Kindle shouldn't be a Swiss Army Knife .... it should be a book reader.

I noted that he didn't think that color was immediately on the horizon, so it will be interesting to see how soon there is a color K. Although, Alex's post on the rumored K3 said something about color (or I thought it did ... keep in mind, I'm still on drugs).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
thorn
Connoisseur

i've been saying that kindle 2 was built for people who read significant texts and for hours at a stretch. according to the same logic as that beloved unitasker -- ice skates. or a swimsuit. and you know? kindle 2 is cheaper than the top-of-the-line of either of those!

nothing wrong with a solid unitasker, as long as one does that one task enough to make it worthwhile.