Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #46
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Just a quick question, We are just talking about Non DRM books here correct? Or can I buy and Epub format from say Books on Board and read it with Stanza?

JJ
Strictly non-DRM indeed. The only DRM solution for ePub currently is ADEPT from Adobe. DE is strictly available on Windows and OS X for the moment, and Lexcycle haven't worked out a DRM solution yet.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #47
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
my book has to be currently open on the desktop in order to download it to my iPhone. And it only works locally.
Have you tried doing this? Have you had success? I haven't gotten the "sharing" to work yet. Has anybody had success with this? [ my bad - it works fine! 7/23]

It does work wonderfully with downloading things from feedbooks.

(And yes, i just now reported the "don't exit with sharing on" bug to them. In case they aren't reading these forums!)

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 07-23-2008 at 02:02 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #48
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Sharing has worked just fine.

Though it's annoying to have to open each book to txfer it to the iPhone vice a "bookshelf"/library approach that would allow for mass txfers. (I may jailbreak again just so I can use dropcopy to copy stuff over again)
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #49
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Yeah, I really hope that at some point in the future, Apple will change their mind and turn the iPhone into a UMS device. MIME handlers would be cool too, this way you'd be able to browse the web using Safari and download .epub files directly.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
They're working on a Windows version.
Too little too late. We need a Windows solution now. Not in some months time down the road.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #51
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too little too late. We need a Windows solution now. Not in some months time down the road.
I wouldn't call a free application that supports epub right at the time of the App Store launch "too little, too late". None of the current reading applications for the iPhone are ideal yet, but I know that Lexcycle is working hard on improving their software. The fault is on Apple's side too: they made things much more complicated for the developers when they decided to lock the filesystem.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #52
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Stanza Desktop for Windows is available: http://www.lexcycle.com/forums/stanz...indows_release
Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The TOR books for some reason the last book was only available in ePub not mobi.... I tried to read the book with Stanza Beta 8 (Mac) and it only seemed to show a title page and TOC... there was not body of text. Anyone else seeing this?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #54
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The TOR books for some reason the last book was only available in ePub not mobi.... I tried to read the book with Stanza Beta 8 (Mac) and it only seemed to show a title page and TOC... there was not body of text. Anyone else seeing this?

BOb
The last file was a poorly formatted graphic novel. Maybe Stanza can't support the images displayed in this file ?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The last file was a poorly formatted graphic novel.
Stanza does not support images at all. From its FAQ:

Quote:
Help! Stanza isn't displaying my graphics/tables/bullet lists/etc.

That is by design. Stanza removes nearly all of the formatting of the text that it reads. This is in order to maximize the flexibility of the user interface, as well as maximize the number of formats we can support. As mentioned above, this makes Stanza unsuitable for content where graphics or formatting is an intrinsic part of the reading experience.

I tried to read a PDF, and nothing shows up at all

Some PDFs do not actually contain any text that is readably by a computer, but instead contain a series of pictures of text. You can test to see if this is the case by opening the PDF in a PDF viewer (like Preview.app or Adobe Acrobat), and trying to select the text with the selection tool. If you are unable to highlight any individual letters in the text, then the document is simply a collection of images, and will be unreadable by Stanza.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The last file was a poorly formatted graphic novel.
Oh, I didn't even realize that. I wondered why I didn't remember getting an email about it. Thanks, I'll shred it when I get home to my Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #57
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I'm accessing my Calibre ebook library (2 books as I experiment) on my ipod Touch's Stanza via a hand generated XML file. I've asked Kovid to add a feature to get Calibre to generate this for us as most of the info is already in Calibre's DB. The post hasn't been approved yet as it contains a screenshot from my touch.

With the XML atom feed you can see the cover image in Stanza's library screen and the Calibre converted epub's view great in Stanza with the correct cover, TOC and meta info. I just went to Settings->Stanza->advanced and changed the catalog url to http://myserver/ebooks/stanza.xml and made sure the XML file was in this location. Great stuff!

Crazy
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #58
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Add me to the "why is it too late?" crowd. If you have another, better solution to eBooks on the iPhone/Touch, that is fine. But I'm not sure what the supposed deadline is for good software to be released.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #59
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Latest version of Calibre now includes a webserver and can serve a working Stanza feed so no desktop stanza needed anymore.

Cheers,
CrazyIvan
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #60
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, Stanza on the iPhone has been working ok over the few days I've been using it.
It did crash a few times, but that was no big deal, as it dosen't crash the whole phone (Something apple got right)

The major problem, being a Windows user is the limited functionality in the Beta Desktop Client. Having to have each book open as opposed to just being able to share a folder is a pain. Even having the ability to batch the sharing would do, but is not there yet.

Another pain is that there is no way to edit the Metadata (as Far as I can see) on the desktop client, so is the data when opening a file is wrong, the only way to edit is to download it and edit on the iPhone itself.

Still, for a Version 1 Product its looking quiet good, and shows a lot of promise for the future.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, feedbooks, iphone, ipod touch, lexcycle, stanza