Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
First impressions of the Kobo Arc

Today my wife presented me with a late birthday present in the form of a new Kobo Arc. I've been playing with it off and on for most of the day and I wanted to share some of my impressions. First off, the screen is amazing. Great color, very sharp, and great viewing angles. Sound is nice and clear through the two front facing speakers but using the SRS TruMedia enhancements makes it even better. Performance is great too. The Arc is nice and responsive with no lag loading apps or surfing the web. Build quality is great too. It feels nice and solid without being heavy (although it is noticeably heavier than a Touch or Glo). There is a bezel around the screen edge so it's not flush with the tablet edges. I like it personally. To me it seems to make for a sturdier device but that's just my opinion and have no intentions of performing drop tests. It came with two freebies, a photography book and Issue #1 of Star Trek from IDW Comics, and a selection of books you get to choose one from for 25%, 50%, or 90% off depending on the book you choose. I haven't had a chance to play with the tapestries yet but they look interesting and could make organizing things very simple and interesting. Overall, I'm pleased with and impressed by the Arc. I think the Arc is a worthy competitor to the Nexus 7 and should be given a serious look for those who are looking for a 7" android tablet.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
looking forward to seeing how the tapestries work

If I didn't already have the N7, this would have been my choice
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
I'm glad you like it. I am the UX Lead for the Arc. I am joining the site now to chat with our users.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Welcome aboard Robin
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Welcome aboard Robin
Thanks. I started a new thread to introduce myself rather than highjack this one. I apologize to the thread starter.
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to the forums Robin. In my opinion, you guys have put out great piece of hardware with the Arc (as you can tell from my first post).
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Thanks again. Please update us on your experience sinceyour original post.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Arc

Got my Arc a couple days ago. First impressions are that I'm a fan, lol. Great screen and speedy. So far I've been playing Temple Run and messing with the settings too much to actual rate it as a reading device. :P
clarkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
RareBird
Addict

I should have mentioned before that this is the 16 GB version. Should be more than enough for my purposes. I've had a chance to play with the tapestries and it is definitely a great way to organize things. I have an android phone and previously had a iPod Touch and sometimes going through screen after screen of apps can get annoying and I've more than once missed what I was looking for. By grouping my content into a tapestry makes things easier. I haven't created any tapestries of my own yet but have added to the existing ones. Very intuitive and easy to use. It's nice to have access to the Play store. Angry Birds and Temple Run are now installed and I'm sure I'll add more apps over time. I'm planning on adding a movie or tv episode tonight to test out playing back of videos as well as some song files to test the audio. I'll update this with my experience on both fronts either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
So, do the arc support OTG to connect external input device?
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
So, do the arc support OTG to connect external input device?
No. Unfortunately.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
My partner deleted the Star Trek graphic novel from her Arc before realising I would want to read it; is that re-downloadable? I'm guessing no, as it was tied to the device rather than to her account. I actually think I might have already bought it and it's in my TBR list anyway, though, but I'm just curious in case I'm wrong about that.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
RareBird
Addict

I still haven't put any video content on yet but added some music and it sounds amazing. The front facing speakers and the SRS enhancements are amazing. I'm willing to bet that I'll be saying the same after watching some video. I loaded some family pictures and viewing them was amazing. The colors were vibrant and pictures crystal clear. I alosplayed Angry Birds and Flow Free (Temple Run is waiting in the wings) and both played smooth without a single lag. Finally, I read the bundled Star Trek comic and I have to say it was outstanding. Just like reading a paper comic. The text was easy to read and it displayed beautifully on the screen. For me the Arc keeps getting better. Good job Robin and everyone at Kobo involved with the Arc.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
My partner deleted the Star Trek graphic novel from her Arc before realising I would want to read it; is that re-downloadable? I'm guessing no, as it was tied to the device rather than to her account. I actually think I might have already bought it and it's in my TBR list anyway, though, but I'm just curious in case I'm wrong about that.
I'll ask around.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I still haven't put any video content on yet but added some music and it sounds amazing. The front facing speakers and the SRS enhancements are amazing. I'm willing to bet that I'll be saying the same after watching some video. I loaded some family pictures and viewing them was amazing. The colors were vibrant and pictures crystal clear. I alosplayed Angry Birds and Flow Free (Temple Run is waiting in the wings) and both played smooth without a single lag. Finally, I read the bundled Star Trek comic and I have to say it was outstanding. Just like reading a paper comic. The text was easy to read and it displayed beautifully on the screen. For me the Arc keeps getting better. Good job Robin and everyone at Kobo involved with the Arc.
Thanks!