Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
In one of the earlier versions (0.4.903, i believe) there was talk of changing --or having changed-- the dictionaries so that they aren't offended by dashes, hyphens, or pretty apostrophes. Where do we currently stand on this?
It's done. It's highly dependent on what the dictionary supports as far as special characters. English is known to work with pretty apostrophes for instance.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks, Can you provide some sample text 3 or 4 matches for your regex (if uninstall and reinstall doesn't fix the issue for you). Again I want to be able to test and hopefully recreate the issue.
I uninstalled first, But I did see a warning that the Sigil Dir existed (implies not empty, but I did not check )
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uninstall left behind an empty folder Misc, which caused the Sigil folder to remain (no other files or folders).

I will have to find another copy, ( finished editing that one).
There was nothing odd. The original paragraph style had a 0 top and bottom margin
and those 3 lines (the \d matched 1 to 3 anchor id digits) for paragraph spacing
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It's done. It's highly dependent on what the dictionary supports as far as special characters. English is known to work with pretty apostrophes for instance.
hmmm... it doesn't seem to work for me (using the default English dictionary)...

by the way, I may have been too slow in editing my last post, but I ran into the same problem as theducks with S/R.

as far as the uninstall/re-install thing, I'd already done that (and had deleted the empty Sigil folder)

Last edited by ElMiko; 01-09-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
Zeypxi
Zeypxi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sure. Excerpt from Celine, Voyage au bout de la nuit

Quote:
À un certain moment, la grande lumière nous est revenue, nous étions arrivés devant un espace défriché, nous dûmes grimper encore, autre effort. L’éminence que nous atteignîmes couronnait l’infinie forêt, moutonnante de cimes jaunes et rouges et vertes, peuplant, pressurant monts et vallées, monstrueusement abondante comme le ciel et l’eau. L’homme dont nous cherchions l’habitation demeurait, me fit-on signe, encore un peu plus loin… dans un autre petit vallon. Il nous attendait là l’homme.
Entre deux grosses roches il s’était établi une sorte de cagna, à l’abri, me fit-il remarquer, des tornades de l’est, les plus mauvaises, les plus rageuses. Je voulus bien admettre que c’était un avantage, mais quant à la case elle-même, c’était sûrement à la dernière catégorie miteuse qu’elle appartenait, demeure presque théorique, effilochée de partout. Je m’attendais bien à quelque chose de ce genre-là en fait d’habitation, mais tout de même la réalité dépassait mes prévisions.
Je dus lui sembler tout à fait navré au copain car il m’interpella assez brusquement pour me faire sortir de mes réflexions. « Allez donc, vous serez moins mal encore ici qu’à la guerre ! Ici, après tout, on peut se débrouiller. On bouffe mal, c’est exact, et pour boire, c’est une vraie boue, mais on peut dormir tant qu’on veut… Pas de canons ici mon ami ! Pas de balles non plus ! En somme c’est une affaire ! » Il parlait un peu dans le même ton que l’Agent général mais des yeux pâles comme ceux d’Alcide, il avait.
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #21
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
@meme, are you using the binary installer? Did you also install over an existing install or is this with your source build? I Linux might be having the same issue as Windows.
On Ubuntu 11.10.
Completely removed all traces of sigil including my conf file, source built binaries, translations, etc. Everything I could find with [sS]igil in the name (except of course my source tree )

Re-downloaded 0.4.905 and installed.
Started from Ubuntu desktop icon - The "highlight in BV-switch to CV-highlighted text deleted" bug is NOT there. About version is 0.4.905, QT 4.7.2
Start sigil from command line. Bug is there. About version is 0.4.905 QT 4.7.4. Hmmm.

I was starting sigil from the command line like /opt/sigil/sigil - after checking the desktop icon I see it should be /opt/sigil/sigil.sh as that's setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Start from /opt/sigil/sigil.sh on command line and it works, QT is 4.7.2 again - the highlighted text is no longer deleted.

Now I just have to work out how to get my build to build with QT 4.7.2 since I think that may fix my minor issue of the right click menu showing Fonts/Direction twice.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Everyone on Windows (pretty much everyone) can you uninstall, make sure the Sigil directory in Program files has been deleted, reinstall then check if the issues still persist. I have reports from some users that this has fixed their issues with BV and disappearing text. One ever reported reinstall 0.4.2 over 0.4.905 and the issue persisting. I think there might be an issue with the Qt dlls not being installed properly when installing over an older version.
Point taken. I will reinstall and recheck tonight.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #23
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
My computer at work (Win7/32) shows the text in BV in Arial, my home computer (Win7/64) in some serif font (Times New Roman?)
Why is that, and how can I change to Arial on my home computer too?
Before the second last beta version it was Arial at home too...

Edit: After deleting and reinstalling my home computer is back to Arial again...

Last edited by WS64; 01-10-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@user_none: Note that many installers will not overwrite a dll with an older version when updating. This bit me with calibre's .msi installer a while ago, when I had to monkeypatch a Qt dll for sll support.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

I'm using 0.4.905 on Debian Sid with KDE desktop. I uninstalled a previous beta before using the binary installer. "About" reports QT 4.7.2. (NB: the native QT on this box is 4.7.3, so it's using the packaged libraries.)

The "well-formed errors" check doesn't seem to be working right for me. If there's an error in an xhtml file, switching to BV from CV brings up the warning popup message, as it should. However, clicking the "fix manually" button just brings up the warning box again. The only way out seems to be hit "fix automatically" then go back to CV to fix the fix.

To test, I put a <span> at the beginning of a paragraph, without the closing </span>. Automatic fixing did add the </span> at the end of that paragraph, but then it put a <span> ... </span> pair in each following paragraph

I don't know whether it's safer to leave "well formed errors" check disabled (does it still silently auto-fix in that case?) or leave it on ( in which case it needs to allow manual fixing).

FWIW, I am old enough to remember automatic syntax correction in PL/I interpreters on an IBM 360 mainframe. It was a terrible idea then, and I don't think it's gotten any better since. JMHO
Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
Zeypxi
Zeypxi began at the beginning.

Ok another bug, but it's a kinda bit far fetched behaviour :
- Create new book.
- Add Image (Right click on Images Folder, Add Existing Files)
- Go to code view of Section0001.xhtml
- Put your cursor just after <?xml (first line)
- Menu > Edit > Insert image > insert then your image (Remember your cursor is still just after <?xml
- Try to go back to Book view
- Your xml is not well formed. Sigil won't let you fix automatically or fix manually. You need to terminate Sigil otherwise than using menu cause you can't get out that Messagebox telling you to fix auto or manually.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Not sure if this is a bug per se, but it's behavior I don't previously remember seeing:

When you do a search (searching all HTML files), cycling through results by hitting "Return/Enter", the cursor jumps from the search box to the html code when you cycle to a new html file. Hitting return again consequently deletes the selected string (in the html code) and inserts a carriage return.

I also ran into Zeypxi's conundrum, except it's far broader than his example implies. It's not limited to inserting images. Any coding error that prompts a message on switch from CV to BV locks you out if you try to fix the problem manually, requiring a complete restart and loss of any unsaved work. If Sigil can fix it automatically, it does, but repeats a second error message that says:
Code:
The operation you requested cannot be performed because (filename) is not a well-formed XML document.

An error was found on line N/A, column N/A:.

etc...
which you can escape by selecting Fix Automatically a second time (although as best as I can tell, it's not actually executing any sort of adjustment in the code on this second click). If Sigil can't fix the initial problem automatically, you have to do a hard restart (from the Task Manager) as already noted.

Last edited by ElMiko; 01-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #28
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strahinja still at large?

The dictionaries now resides in the program directory/dictionaries/, but the user dictionary is still in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Strahinja Markovic\Sigil\dictionaries ?

Also, a lot of settings is written to the windows registry to:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Strahinja Markovic/
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\StrahinjaMarkovic
- HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-780233580-632033717-1429695499-1000\Software\Strahinja Markovic

All respect for Strahinja - after all he started this - but sometime in the future this will be an annoyment, because no one will be able to find the settings, because no one remembers.

Also, I personally would prefer to use an oldfashioned .ini-style file written to the program directory, thus making Sigil portable. But that will probably have to wait for a future version

Regards,

Kim
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #29
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Note that many installers will not overwrite a dll with an older version when updating. This bit me with calibre's .msi installer a while ago, when I had to monkeypatch a Qt dll for sll support.
All I have to say is, F Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
... the user dictionary is still in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Strahinja Markovic\Sigil\dictionaries ?

Also, a lot of settings is written to the windows registry to:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Strahinja Markovic/
Strahinja used his name as the organization name. This is used by QSettings for setting up the path it saves to. I plan on changing it to sigil-ebook (com.sigil-ebook on OS X). I want also plan on changing the settings style to a portable format (JSON, XML, or ini). Right now I'm leaving the settings path as is because changing it will cause a disruption for people upgrading. When I move to the new format I will change the path.

@st_albert and ElMiko, I'll figure out what's going on with the well formed dialog.

@Zeypxi, This should be related to what st_albert and ElMiko are experiencing. I hope. But not having the xml declaration correct and the first thing in the file is known to cause all sorts of issues.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Edited my first ebook using v0.4.905 (W7 x64).

Making global F&R's does indeed start at the current cursor position and does not wrap. Is this the intended behavior? If so, I think it would be a good idea to make it optional to wrap or not wrap. If I want to do an all inclusive global change, I have to go to the top of the first file which is no problem. The problem is remembering where I was so that I can return to my original place.

Regards- John

Last edited by Jabby; 01-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Closed Thread