Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
andersonkc
andersonkc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Recieved a Book as a PDF

Hello.

I ordered a book a last year and the author said they were out of stock and gave me a refund along with a PDF copy of the book. The pages of book in PDF format have a 2-3 in margin on both sides and bottom. Is there a way for it to just read whats on each back of the PDF without hte Margins?
andersonkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There are free utilities around which will let you crop the whitespace margins from a PDF. I have found Briss to be pretty good, but there are others.

Calibre has one of its own (pdfmanipulate) but there is no GUI interface, you have to use the command line or write a small script. In both cases you would need to do this on the PC before sending the cropped PDF to your reader.

If you're going to read a lot of PDFs, this article may be of interest.

I would have thought that the iPad is one of the better devices for reading PDFs.

Welcome to MobileRead, by the way

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-25-2011 at 08:38 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You list the iPad as your reader so this doesn't seem to be a calibre question. If this is a PDF conversion question please read the "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" sticky post for more info. Now on to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonkc View Post
The pages of book in PDF format have a 2-3 in margin on both sides and bottom. Is there a way for it to just read whats on each back of the PDF without hte Margins?
Doesn't the iBook reading app allow you to crop the margins of a PDF while you are reading? I know the Goodreader App allows you to crop the margins for reading.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote