Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
tonyvr4
tonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iphone
help with epub verify errors

I am in the process of uploading my ebook on smashwords and am getting errors on the epub validation.

Can anyone tell me what these mean and how to fix it?

ERROR: the-husky-and-the-sheltie.epub/toc.ncx(15): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

ERROR: the-husky-and-the-sheltie.epub/toc.ncx(15): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
tonyvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Welcome to MobileRead forums.

I'm afraid that there are several ways of answering your question; a lot depends on how familiar you are with the toc.ncx file which is part of every ePub package - and perhaps mobi for all I know.

I could show you an example of the toc.ncx files from one of my ebooks and show you the numbers which have to be the same. But if you are not familiar with a toc.ncx file it will probably mean nothing to you.

And in any event only Smashwords could tell you why their meatgrinder has put the wrong numbers there.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
tonyvr4
tonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-bookstonyvr4 has learned how to read e-books

I was able to resolve the issue, and you may get a kick out of why.

I researched the toc.ncx and found that it was using the same reference for the beginning of the file and the midpoint. When I removed the code for midpoint the problem went away.

But then I was not able to upload the corrected file because they only accept doc files.

After a little more experimenting, I found out that the whole problem was because I did not include the required title page. When I added that, the epub verified without any issues. Arrgh
Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
tonyvr4

I do have another problem that hopefully someone can help with.

I have a children's book that I have not been able to get the converters to format properly and the output is all in disarray.

The source is a word 2007 doc file. The pages are consistently formatted with a few lines of text at the top of the page and a large colorful graphic that takes up most of the page. On some pages, I am also using the drawing object that looks like a cartoon word bubble.

Regardless of that I have tried, any converter,including smashwords, does not convert the file properly and the pages are out of wack, illustrations and all over the place.

What is the secret to getting this to convert properly?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can't help you with that one, I'm afraid. Is there nothing in the Smashwords Style Guide that might help?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try recreating that book in an HTML editor and see if you can do it. You might them be able to go ePub from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote