Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
suzanneskifirst
Suzanneski
suzanneskifirst began at the beginning.

Device: none
Indesign to epub

Hello all,

I have an Ebook set up with Indesign. As you all know, when I attempt to validate it, it fails the date test. The ONLY warning is the missing date. I open up the epub, edit the opf file so that the date is correct. I touch nothing else. Then when I go back and try to validate, the date warning is gone, but I get two NEW warnings:

1. ERROR: Behind Lace Curtains.epub: length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 22
2. ERROR: Behind Lace Curtains.epub: mimetype entry missing or not the first in archive

I did not touch the mimetype entry.

In addition, for some strange reason when I publish the ebook to epub with Indesign, it inserts a half a space below the first line of each chapter. If I publish the chapters sep. they read out OK. But as a group, I get that space. It never happened before.

I am about ready to find where the pres. of Adobe is and send him some rotton eggs.

Thanks,

Suzanneski
suzanneskifirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
The Date error is the first of many.
Once you fix that, the validator will then move onto the next error in Line.

You are also not zipping the folder correctly

What version of InDesign are you using so I can offer better assistance. And also what Operating System
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
suzanneskifirst
Suzanneski

epub

Thanks for the response. This process is making me crazy.

I am using indesign cs5

Running Vista 64 bit.

I didn't actually unzip the folder. I opened it, edited the file with Notepad++, and exited. Is that a screw up?

Suzanneski
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneskifirst View Post

I am using indesign cs5

Running Vista 64 bit.

I didn't actually unzip the folder. I opened it, edited the file with Notepad++, and exited. Is that a screw up?

Suzanneski
To be on the safe side, I'd unzip it.
Make your changes.
Then use this program to zip it back up.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84675

As it HAS to be done in a certain order. Otherwise you'll see that error
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
suzanneskifirst
Suzanneski

Thanks.

I will try it tomorrow when I am not so burnt.

It will give me instructions on the order of operations, I hope.

Thanks again.

Suzanneski
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneskifirst View Post

I am using indesign cs5

Running Vista 64 bit.

Suzanneski
I have not tried a direct edit from notepad++ but I have opened an epub using 7-zip which will open the epub just fine. I then drag the file out and use notepad++ and put it back when I am done. This has worked for me.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
suzanneskifirst
Suzanneski

Hello,

Just back from a record length computer catastrophe. I edited the date with Notepad ++ and then used the pub pack program. It worked BLC validated. Yayyyy!

Thanks all,

Suzanneski
Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Does anyone know of a good tutorial from InDesign CS5.5 to ePub? Having trouble getting my books past iBookstore validation test.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
Adjust
Addict

There is one on lynda.com
http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-CS5-tu...d/75445-2.html
Old 07-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Thanks Adjust. That one is for CS5 (and is rather brilliant). I hear there is a CS5.5 version on the way from Lynda - but wondering if there's anything out there in the meantime.

On another note ...

On exporting a novel from CS5.5 using a simple TOC Style option, it doesn't break the the book into separate html documents. Did CS5? In the training video you linked to above, each entry in the TOC starts its new chapter at the top of the page. Using the same method in CS5.5, the chapters do not start at the top of the page
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
Thanks Adjust. That one is for CS5 (and is rather brilliant). I hear there is a CS5.5 version on the way from Lynda - but wondering if there's anything out there in the meantime.

On another note ...

On exporting a novel from CS5.5 using a simple TOC Style option, it doesn't break the the book into separate html documents. Did CS5? In the training video you linked to above, each entry in the TOC starts its new chapter at the top of the page. Using the same method in CS5.5, the chapters do not start at the top of the page
Did you select "Use level 1 entries as chapter breaks" (or similar) with all the other TOC preferences in the export box?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indesign cs5