Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #46
balloon
balloon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Well, seeing as how this is an e-book forum, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you install the Nook software and the Kindle software.

Aside from those, I really like the Skyfire browser (which allows you to view some Flash sites), as well as Facebook and Wallet (an application that keeps your usernames, passwords, atm numbers, etc). I also use Twitter, plus QuickNotes, an application that lets you draw on the screen so you can write down a quick note w/o typing. I think Adobe Reader's a good one, and if you're familiar with Palm Graffiti, you can install that, too (although that's $3, while the rest I've mentioned so far are free). Pandora's good for music, of course. And I'd also install RealPlayer. If you don't mind spending $15, you can also buy the full Docs to Go, so you can edit your Word and Excel documents.

There's actually a lot of good stuff available for cheap if you check out the market.
Thanks for you info. I tried to download the link that you recommend, but it's unsuccessful to download application. So I decided to install "update release 4.2", now I have problem on market, it shows the message "A server error has occurred. Retry or cancel and return to the previous screen". When I click retry, it still shows the same message. I have no idea, what to do.

Thanks.
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #47
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
@balloon:

Look on your device for an icon that looks like a grid of blocks. Click that icon, and it will show you a list of all the programs you have. Launch aCCleaner, and clear the cache and data from all applications. Then reboot, and try to go into the Market again (once you have established your Wifi connection). It should work then. The important thing to remember the first time you try the Market is that your cache and data files need to be clear, and your Wifi needs to be on.

Let me know how you make out.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #48
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wanted to let everyone know: The project has succeeded in getting Froyo on the Craig now.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #49
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Hi, roc.

I have WPA2 enabled with no problems. I have heard of some people having a problem with certain routers. Your mileage will vary. You might get some ideas from the SlateDroid thread, though. (I've linked to the end of the thread so you can ask your question there, but feel free to peruse the thread, of course.)

Shad from SlateDroid has apparently made some serious progress investigating some tablet firmware that runs Froyo for modification for the Craig tablet. If it ends up working, it could bring a lot of things with it (including Flash). Right now, the biggest limitation is the screen, which doesn't support multitouch.
Thanks for the update and other info. I installed Shad's 2.1 update (4.2), and it rocks - rooted and market access, so off to the races. I will keep an eye on that FroYo package since it almost seems ready for prime time. Multi-touch is no big deal to someone like me who is used to Palm and WinCe resistive screens, and actually find capacitive very annoying - let me be precise with a stylus or fingernail, thank you very much ;-)

Re the wifi, one of the WPA AP's is a TrendMicro Router/AP that is running off wired connection to the WEP Netgear Router/AP (upstairs/downstairs for better coverage) off my cable modem. The other WPA is a Westell DSL router/AP that I use for backup (working from home, so backup is essential). I could throw a spare Belkin AP/Bridge that can do WPA into the mix to see how that fares.

The difference in stability is amazing (and appalling) since I have a number of other wifi devices including an Archos 5 and various notebooks with Linux and Windows that have not shown any such encryption sensitivity, although I have not tested all the combinations to any great extent since the DSL/Westell is a recent addition and is what prompted me to move to WPA for future usage - lucky I kept the Netgear on WEP for older devices I mess with sometimes. The Archos does stay on the Westell/WPA/DSL connection most of the time, and I have gone through trying out a number of Android tablets lately with no such issue: Huawei S7, Archos 70, Cruz Reader, Pandigital Novel, so it is not an Android issue.

I think as long as I just use the Craig mostly for ereading, music, weather, and news, (with my "throwaway" gmail account) it is not too big a deal - we are in s low-density neighborhood on big lots, so not a lot of threat of cracking the WEP AP since most of the neighbors already have their own ISP connections (one has been running completely open for several years now ;-) ). I have been thinking though about running it through a Linux or BSD firewall to monitor it better ...

Last edited by roc; 03-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #50
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
I think as long as I just use the Craig mostly for ereading, music, weather, and news, (with my "throwaway" gmail account) it is not too big a deal - we are in s low-density neighborhood on big lots, so not a lot of threat of cracking the WEP AP since most of the neighbors already have their own ISP connections (one has been running completely open for several years now ;-) ). I have been thinking though about running it through a Linux or BSD firewall to monitor it better ...
That sounds like a reasonable usage scenario, for now. I have the Froyo build on my tablet, and while I'm amazed at the progress, it's still a beta. (There are lock-ups when I'm trying to get out of the lock screen sometimes, for instance.)

Funny you should mention the Palm angle. I come from the Palm world, too, so the multitouch is only mildly bothersome when I'm browsing. I've got Graffiti installed on it, and I'm taking notes and keeping PDA-style info on it (where it would be a little more cumbersome for me to do so on my phone, which is also Android now).
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #51
balloon
balloon began at the beginning.

Quote:
@balloon:

Look on your device for an icon that looks like a grid of blocks. Click that icon, and it will show you a list of all the programs you have. Launch aCCleaner, and clear the cache and data from all applications. Then reboot, and try to go into the Market again (once you have established your Wifi connection). It should work then. The important thing to remember the first time you try the Market is that your cache and data files need to be clear, and your Wifi needs to be on.

Let me know how you make out.
Thanks. It works now. I download many applications included your recommendation.

However, I saw your post about "froyo". What is "froyo"? Is it android 2.2? If yes, how to install it? I searched and found that android 2.2 has Thai fonts.

For Android 2.1 If I need to install Thai fonts, I have to root the droid. Do you know how to do it on craig? I found only root droid on phone, but not on craig. Thanks.

Last edited by balloon; 03-08-2011 at 10:19 PM.
balloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #52
NCitsme
NCitsme began at the beginning.

"""Just wanted to let everyone know: The project has succeeded in getting Froyo on the Craig now.""" - Thats quite amazing on this little thing... Thanks for all the help bhartman36...

Think I'll wait till Froyo is a little beyond beta. But I've got the 4.2 build working great (I did need to name the file upgrade, not upgrade.img) and everything is working... Thanks Again

PS: Balloon Froyo is the latest greatest android update... (the first build that was made for tablets, not just a larger phone screen).

Last edited by NCitsme; 03-08-2011 at 10:17 PM.
NCitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #53
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Funny you should mention the Palm angle. I come from the Palm world, too, so the multitouch is only mildly bothersome when I'm browsing. I've got Graffiti installed on it, and I'm taking notes and keeping PDA-style info on it (where it would be a little more cumbersome for me to do so on my phone, which is also Android now).
So how is that Android Graffiti on the Craig, and how does it compare to the v1/v2 of the original Palms? Does it convert the input to text? I would like to get that functionality back again on a "modern" handheld gizmo.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #54
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCitsme View Post
PS: Balloon Froyo is the latest greatest android update... (the first build that was made for tablets, not just a larger phone screen).
actually, I think Froyo is Android 2.2

The latest, greatest version that was made for tablets is 3.0 (Honeycomb)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #55
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Thumbs up

I can't tell you how intrigued I've been by both this thread and a similar one on Slatedriod. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy this tablet, I work at CVS and with my discount and extra bucks, I can get it for about $60

I'm definitely worried about it being worth the time and money but after reading these threads I think it'll be fun to take on the challenge. I planned on doing it last week but this got put on the back burner due to some Microsoft Windows 7 issues I had to work out. I am bummed about not being able to play angry birds though. I have a 5 year old who loves to play on my phone but he's been sneaking calls to people in my phone book because he likes to see the "android guy" so I really wanted something he could use as well. No such luck on the angry birds yet huh?

Either way, thanks for all the info here and I'm excited to see if I can get this thing tweaked
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 AM   #56
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hello to all the Newbies in this thread ....

Welcome to Mobileread .... Do stay and join in the fun ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #57
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
So how is that Android Graffiti on the Craig, and how does it compare to the v1/v2 of the original Palms? Does it convert the input to text? I would like to get that functionality back again on a "modern" handheld gizmo.
Graffiti on the Craig works well. It's obviously not as efficient as touch-typing (or even, say, typing the way it would be on the iPad, which I understand people get fairly good at) but it's, IMO, better than the stock Android keyboard on the Craig.

Android doesn't have 2.0 Graffiti. The Graffiti that Access had (licensed, I think) was Graffiti 1. For me, that's just as well, because I never really got used to Graffiti 2. (The two-stroke character was unnatural to me.)

I've tried other keyboards for the Craig, and I could never really get the kind of accuracy I could get with Graffiti (especially with word completion). Remember, though: The Craig has a USB host port, which means that if you wanted to, you could always plug a real keyboard into it.

I've actually uninstalled the latest (Froyo) build of the firmware and gone back to v. 4.2. The work on Froyo's been impressive, but I don't think it's there yet, in terms of stability.

This screen doesn't have multitouch, so you have to temper your expectations in terms of how much like stock Android it's ever going to be, and I wouldn't expect the processor to handle Honeycomb very well, but for what it is, you get a lot. It browses the Web pretty well, you can use it to take notes, it's a nice (albeit large) PDA, and I've gotten it to play videos that I transcoded from my Tivo (although one video got out of sync with the audio about 1/2 way through, for some reason). Also, I haven't tried it, but you can apparently use it to view and interact w/ your desktop remotely via VNC. With the Froyo build (once that's stable) you should be able to go on Google Docs and edit your documents, as well.

All in all, it's a nice little gadget for the money. Not a bad alternative, if you don't want to throw down $350 for a 1st gen iPad or $250 for a Nook Color.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #58
irep146jesus
Jesus Freak
irep146jesus began at the beginning.

Device: craigs 7" android tablet
everything works great.! Thanks! any way it can be rooted to the newest android version. I am a newb to android
irep146jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #59
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by irep146jesus View Post
everything works great.! Thanks! any way it can be rooted to the newest android version. I am a newb to android
The latest version of Android (Honeycomb) is for high-end tablets (1GHz and over, form what I understand), so it wouldn't be a good fit for this tablet. Plus, I think it incorporates multitouch gestures, which this tablet's screen doesn't support. The Froyo support isn't 100% there yet (I had to uninstall that build and go with the 4.2 firmware because it kept locking up), but once that's stable, I wouldn't be shocked if the firmware could be updated to Gingerbread. Just keep in mind that the hardware is the real limitation. You get diminishing returns the higher up you go in terms of Android versions, because the hardware doesn't support some features.

Think about a 486 and what benefit you might get from running Windows 7 on it.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #60
irep146jesus
Jesus Freak
irep146jesus began at the beginning.

Device: craigs 7" android tablet
Quote:
The latest version of Android (Honeycomb) is for high-end tablets (1GHz and over, form what I understand), so it wouldn't be a good fit for this tablet. Plus, I think it incorporates multitouch gestures, which this tablet's screen doesn't support. The Froyo support isn't 100% there yet (I had to uninstall that build and go with the 4.2 firmware because it kept locking up), but once that's stable, I wouldn't be shocked if the firmware could be updated to Gingerbread. Just keep in mind that the hardware is the real limitation. You get diminishing returns the higher up you go in terms of Android versions, because the hardware doesn't support some features.

Think about a 486 and what benefit you might get from running Windows 7 on it.
Ohh ok gotcha. Thanks alot.
irep146jesus is offline   Reply With Quote