Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Opening the same purchased ebook for 2 different Kindles

Here's my question:

How do I download the same purchased ebook to my computer so that both Kindles will open it?

I have a Kindle 2 (U.S.), and a Kindle 2 (Int'l).

Each Kindle has a different name - which I had nothing to do with.

I specifically downloaded the same book from Amazon - one for each Kindle 2, but both files cannot be opened - only one.

What I want to do is to download a purchased ebook ONCE to my computer and then just copy the same ebook file to either one of the Kindles without any hassle.

Both Kindles were purchased with the same credit card, same address, same etc.

Thanks.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-01-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: removed "to"
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
As far as I know you can't. The download is encrypted/DRM'd for a particular device.

You'd need to download it twice - once for each device registered.

Either that or strip off the drm.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
As far as I know you can't. The download is encrypted/DRM'd for a particular device.

Well, Kenny, you bring EVIL tidings!

(Just kidding.)

Don
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, Kenny, you bring EVIL tidings!

(Just kidding.)

Don

I know, but drm just plain sucks...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Agreed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I guess what I'll do, then, is go through all those purchases (and the Freebies) from Amazon and strip them of their DRM so that I can read the same item(s) on both my Kindles at the same time.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
kennyc

That's generally my first step after a download regardless of Kindle or Sony or ....

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you do the DRM stripping route, the easiest way is to download to Kindle for PC (a third version, which is encrypted so that it won't work on either Kindle) because the K4PC DRM stripping (unswindle.pyw) is very easy to use.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you do the DRM stripping route, the easiest way is to download to Kindle for PC (a third version, which is encrypted so that it won't work on either Kindle) because the K4PC DRM stripping (unswindle.pyw) is very easy to use.
I find using the plug-in with Calibre to be the fastest, all I have to do is add the book to Calibre (it uses the PIDs of both of my Kindles).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote