Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
PRS-700 firmware?? (don't be fooled, just a question) :-)

Has a new firmware been out for PRS-700 beyond the initial one? I haven't been able to find out.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 06-03-2009 at 09:41 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Has a new firmware been out for PRS-700 beyond the initial one? I haven't been able to find out.
Not that I'm aware of. And if there was one, it would be reported almost instantaneously on MobileRead, *the* source of information on the PRS-700.

WDE. (WaitingDictionaryEnhancement)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
WDE: (WaitingforanyDangedEnhancement)
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Sorry for the stupid question, but I thought the PRS-700 DID have a dictionary. That was one of the selling points over the 505.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
That's not quite right forkyfork. One of the selling points of the 700 was the touchscreen. Dictionaries are a no show so far for the PRS series.

Btw, could one of the mods change the subject of this topic to something else? My heart almost went out of my body with excitement when I read "PRS-700 firmware" thinking a new firmware was anounced and I'm sure I'm not the only one here :P
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
Btw, could one of the mods change the subject of this topic to something else? My heart almost went out of my body with excitement when I read "PRS-700 firmware" thinking a new firmware was anounced and I'm sure I'm not the only one here :P

thibault, i could change the title to "any news of a new PRS-700 firmware ?" if you like. or something similar.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, actually the PRS-700 come from the factory preloaded with one of the two versions of firmware: 1.0.00.10060 (older) and 1.0.01.12050 (current). The only difference I could see by comparing md5 checksums of all binary modules was a switcher.so object. Which in all probability is not too important, since Sony did not issue a public update for 1.0.00.10060. If you load the latest firmware image with the clock, you will get the 1.0.01.12050 installed on your reader (not sure if one can call it a bonus).

So far there hasn't been any functionality update, and I suspect there will be none for PRS-700 in the future. The PRS-700 has been more or less universally recognized as a failure of design (the touchscreen-front light messing up the biggest advantage of an eInk reader - the display). I hope Sony engineers are hard at work on the next model of a Sony Reader, which will be able to compete within the growing ebook reader market. My suspicion is, there are actually few engineers engaged in the software development for the Readers at Sony, not nearly enough to continue supporting existing product line. The cries for dictionary lookup support have been left unanswered - the only feature that could somehow compensate for the unfortunate disadvantage of the PRS-700 screen. After a big hoopla that accompanied the launch of PRS-700, we have heard nothing from the company - no hints of things to come, no promises, no marketing BS.

I just hope someone at Sony is actually paying attention to the ebook fans' community, and the next reader in the pipeline is not a "PRS-700 with Wi-Fi". If it's all it is, it's going to be the end of this business for Sony. At a minimum the screen must be on the 505 level (even if it means hiding the touchscreen behind the eInk display, and getting rid of the front light), the dictionary lookup has to be included. Some web browsing capability via an external network interface (be it 3G or Wi-Fi, I prefer the latter), with ebook download support is an absolute must as well.

Last edited by porkupan; 05-29-2009 at 12:06 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Silverexpress
Silverexpress began at the beginning.

It sounding more like a netbook without a keyboard!
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, actually the PRS-700 come from the factory preloaded with one of the two versions of firmware: 1.0.00.10060 (older) and 1.0.01.12050 (current). The only difference I could see by comparing md5 checksums of all binary modules was a switcher.so object. Which in all probability is not too important, since Sony did not issue a public update for 1.0.00.10060. If you load the latest firmware image with the clock, you will get the 1.0.01.12050 installed on your reader (not sure if one can call it a bonus).

So far there hasn't been any functionality update, and I suspect there will be none for PRS-700 in the future. The PRS-700 has been more or less universally recognized as a failure of design (the touchscreen-front light messing up the biggest advantage of an eInk reader - the display). I hope Sony engineers are hard at work on the next model of a Sony Reader, which will be able to compete within the growing ebook reader market. My suspicion is, there are actually few engineers engaged in the software development for the Readers at Sony, not nearly enough to continue supporting existing product line. The cries for dictionary lookup support have been left unanswered - the only feature that could somehow compensate for the unfortunate disadvantage of the PRS-700 screen. After a big hoopla that accompanied the launch of PRS-700, we have heard nothing from the company - no hints of things to come, no promises, no marketing BS.

I just hope someone at Sony is actually paying attention to the ebook fans' community, and the next reader in the pipeline is not a "PRS-700 with Wi-Fi". If it's all it is, it's going to be the end of this business for Sony. At a minimum the screen must be on the 505 level (even if it means hiding the touchscreen behind the eInk display, and getting rid of the front light), the dictionary lookup has to be included. Some web browsing capability via an external network interface (be it 3G or Wi-Fi, I prefer the latter), with ebook download support is an absolute must as well.
Harsh words porkupan, I wouldn't say the 700 is a failure, it is however not THE ULTIMATE BEST which I presume is what most people wanted it to be. I have to ask, do you own a PRS 700 or 505? I find that most 505 users have the opinion that the 700 is as good as a donkey's kidney.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Harsh words porkupan, I wouldn't say the 700 is a failure, it is however not THE ULTIMATE BEST which I presume is what most people wanted it to be. I have to ask, do you own a PRS 700 or 505? I find that most 505 users have the opinion that the 700 is as good as a donkey's kidney.
Actually, I own all three models: 500, 505 and 700. And lots of them went through my hands while I had this little side business going, reselling the readers with installed localized firmware to people outside the U.S. who could not otherwise buy them in a store. But then a crisis struck, and a strong dollar, so the business kind of dwindled down... But that's beside the point. I can tell you from personal experience that the potential customers' interest in 700 VS 505 is about 1:10 ratio. Meaning, since the PRS-700 came out I only sold a few of them, and I sold many many more 505's.

Well, the display is a weak point of the PRS-700, and there is just no way around it. You compare 700 to 505 side by side in a store, and you can't help but notice that the naked Vizplex is just so much better than the PRS-700 concoction, it's painful.

The people on Russian eBook forum, where I spend a lot of time, have more or less come to the unanimous decision: the PRS-700 is a failure. It is not worth the premium, it should not in fact be cost even as much as 505. PRS-700 does have its little advantages (search, notes), but there is no reason why those same features could not be implemented on a 505 (after all, they have been implemented on Netronix clone PocketBook, which has even fewer buttons than 505). Sony seems to be acting as if the competition is not serious and can be ignored, as if the eBook reader project is their last priority. Perhaps it is so.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thibault, i could change the title to "any news of a new PRS-700 firmware ?" if you like. or something similar.
Doesn't matter. Whatever you like.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
My heart almost went out of my body with excitement when I read "PRS-700 firmware" thinking a new firmware was anounced and I'm sure I'm not the only one here :P

What they said!
I see this was posted the 27th and I've only just had my heart stop. (I guess I've been too busy playing in the Lounge.)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

There, I changed the title for everyone who was being duped by the title of the original post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

oh never mind. The program allowed me to edit the title but it actually didn't change it.