Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #211
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyth View Post
Any time I launch an app, load a web page, turn a page in a book, wait for a video to launch I get an annoying electronic-type noise (like a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). It was very slight but very annoying when reading / surfing at night in my bed.
I think you'll find that you hear the buzzing for pretty much every tablet, ereader (even eInk ones like the Kobo Touch), phone (dumb, feature, or smart), or computer (though you generally can't hear it over the fan and hard drive) out there when using it in an otherwise silent area.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #212
Akyth
Akyth began at the beginning.

Device: None
thanks for you reply. however I do not have this issue with our kindle fire hd or nexus 7 or iPad 3 or Siii or my HTC one X.
Akyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #213
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for you reply. however I do not have this issue with our kindle fire hd or nexus 7 or iPad 3 or Siii or my HTC one X.
Strange. I've had it with pretty much every electronic item I've ever owned that isn't simply on/off.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #214
Akyth

Strange indeed. Though is it loud enough that you could hear it even if it is someone else sat like a meter away from you who is turning a page ? that was my case. No noise when it is loaded though, just for a few seconds.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #215
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Good afternoon everyone

I have bought a Kobo Arc 16Gb a month ago and I had an issue with it, I asked a refund since I wanted to buy a 32Gb one (in the end, 16Gb is not much) and I am going to buy it for Christmas. I would just like to know if anyone had had this issue with his Kobo Arc:

Any time I launch an app, load a web page, turn a page in a book, wait for a video to launch I get an annoying electronic-type noise (like a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). It was very slight but very annoying when reading / surfing at night in my bed.

That is not normal. Please return for a different unit.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #216
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. I've had it with pretty much every electronic item I've ever owned that isn't simply on/off.
You have just exposed your secret super powers.
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #217
Canadian Cookie
Canadian Cookie began at the beginning.

Flash download

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1848508

until i get to open my own arc best best i can suggest is click on this link within your own arc browser look down the first post till you see the series of flash players build numbers and click on 11_11_1_115_34 and install it. this is the most recent update for flash and is running fine on my onex. this was an ota update via the google playstore. hope it helps
Thanks for your reply Stevov. I did download it although on that site it says: Flash Player WILL NOT be supported on any device shipped with or upgraded to an Android version beyond Android 4.0.x
The Arc is Android 4.0.4. Now I need to "Allow installation of non-market apps" and I don't know if I should. If I don't it is not giving me the option of deleting it.
I am also looking for an app to view doc files. I've been looking in the app store but most of the reviews are not very good. I don't want to end up with a few apps that I can't delete.
Canadian Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #218
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Cookie View Post
Thanks for your reply Stevov. I did download it although on that site it says: Flash Player WILL NOT be supported on any device shipped with or upgraded to an Android version beyond Android 4.0.x
The Arc is Android 4.0.4.
...which means it should work, at least if you're using a browser that supports it (pretty much anything other than Chrome).

Quote:
Now I need to "Allow installation of non-market apps" and I don't know if I should.
Well, if you want to allow non-Play Store apps, you have to allow it. It's no big deal.

Quote:
If I don't it is not giving me the option of deleting it.
Weird. Maybe you have to keep the option toggled on? Dunno.

Quote:
I am also looking for an app to view doc files. I've been looking in the app store but most of the reviews are not very good. I don't want to end up with a few apps that I can't delete.
Only apps you can't delete (unless something's gone very wrong) are some of the ones that came with the Arc, like the Google apps. Anything you install from the Play Store, or from other sources (though you really should keep those to a minimum - hence having to turn on that option, but that's no problem as long as you're not the "Oooh! Shiny! Must download!" type that downloads screensavers and junk or clicks links in email from people you don't know), should be no problem to delete.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #219
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
generally any app you install can be uninstalled. apps that came as part of the package when you bought the arc can be disabled but not uninstalled.that link is taken from adobe archives and it is running on millions of tablets and phones

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675670

have a wee read about from here a lot of good info
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #220
Akyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
That is not normal. Please return for a different unit.
Hi and thanks ! It has been returned and refunded a month ago but I wanted to buy a new one so I preferred to ask before buying another one. I had a white 16Gb so yesterday I got a black 32Gb, the black Arc looks awesome.
I unpacked it and had no noise issue, I was very happy ! Then the tablet updated itself and the noise appeared
I set up everything (mail acount, facebook, google play, etc) and then tried to find the source of this issue. When I load facebook, it lasts a second. Same when I load a game. The worse is when I play a movie - if you disable the sound, you can hear the buzzing sound all over the room (at night of course).
I had this issue before with a Creative sound card on my PC and it was a driver issue so I thought that maybe it was a software issue, I disabled SRS thing and the noise almost disappeared, now I can only hear an electronic noise when I am very close (1cm) of the tablet. As soon as I enable the SRS thing then the noise comes back.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #221
mackin89
mackin89 began at the beginning.

my arc sometimes makes a very slight almost vent like noise when its running apps but it seems fine
mackin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #222
Akyth

I guess the noise is normal then it is very strange though, I never had this noise on any other tablet (I had a Nexus 7 for a month and then it was not charging any more - it was exchanged for a Galaxy tab 2 but it was a display model so we asked for a refund and got a Kobo Arc, we had the noise + reboot issue so we returned it and got a Kindle Fire HD).

I will be returning it on Monday for a refund anyway, the noise is very annoying and I don't like the sound quality nor the screen (the sound of our Kindle Fire HD is just the best ever on a tablet, it's even better than my laptop). The screen is nice but I prefer the smooth feel of a glass instead of the "rough" feel of the Kobo. I don't know which tablet I will buy though, it is not easy to find the perfect one

Thanks everyone for your help and feedback !!!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #223
Youbenicenow
Youbenicenow began at the beginning.

Device: KoboArc
Hi fellow Arc lovers. I have an Arc and my wife has a Nexus 7. I prefer the Arc. Why? When I use her Nexus 7 for over an hour my hands get tired from holding it. (I have small hands.) The Nexus is just not comfortable in my hands. I do not have that trouble with the Arc. Regards.
Youbenicenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #224
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Oh, I just had to buy a Arc a week before Christmas and now I see a great Boxing week sale where a free Kobo Mini is being given away with the purchase of a Arc. Arrrrrgggghhhhh. What a sweet deal. I'd jump on that like, uh, like, I don't know...something witty.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #225
Skynet_Italy
Skynet_Italy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackin89 View Post
my arc sometimes makes a very slight almost vent like noise when its running apps but it seems fine
I have found myself a rustling durations the initiation of an application.

The rustling increases if is activated SRS.
Disappears if the volume is set to zero.

I only hear when there is a absolute silence.

It seems to be a software problem or shielding of the audio circuit.

My Kobo has the last update. I pacerebbe check if with the old version the problem disappear. But reconfigure everything i convenient

Last edited by Skynet_Italy; 12-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Skynet_Italy is offline   Reply With Quote