Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3G white as wedding anniversary gift
Yes 60 89.55%
No 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
We did not like it :-) ... that's why I returned it. But she uses my iPad 2 occasionally.

We visited B&N last week, and she found the Nook Touch too small and light ... she likes my Kindle though and that's why she mentioned getting one of her own but white!

Hmm... white comes 3G only, mine is wifi, I wonder if the "white" petition is just a bait, in order to get the 3G one, hahaha...

sighs... women, women, women ... lol ...
there's always skins!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #47
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmm

How to ask this politely....

Did she get to test it without your commenting?

If she likes to read magazines then a color reader is going to work better for her. Magazines on the Kindle work ok but not great. If she is going to be using it for mainly books then I get the Kindle but magazines do not scream Kindle to me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #48
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
hmmm

How to ask this politely....

Did she get to test it without your commenting?

If she likes to read magazines then a color reader is going to work better for her. Magazines on the Kindle work ok but not great. If she is going to be using it for mainly books then I get the Kindle but magazines do not scream Kindle to me.
Just ask! lol ...

Ohhh! no, no ... for Magazines, she uses the iPad 2 and/or paper ones.

Agree, the Kindle is not suitable for Magazines. She is looking for an eink reader in order to read regular novels or books.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #49
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
OK. That makes sense. You mentioned magazines and not books. Hence my confusion
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #50
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
horrible gifts are things like vacuum cleaners, toasters and mops. unless of course your other half comes up, straddles your lap, llllLICKS! your cheek, and says "a vacuum cleaner for my birthday would make me SO hot!"
Kindlekitten you slay me
one year when asked I asked for a crock-pot for my birthday. I was suprised that my husband actually gave me one. He was cruelly criticized by all and sundry, but I love the fact that he actually listened to my wants and took the time to find one that was perfect for what I wanted.

My K3 was a gift from my husband for Christmas. He totally understands that I am a complete bookworm. I think that it also saved his sanity as the books were piling up everywhere.
So my answer would be yes.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
If you don't want to give it to her for the anniversary then just buy it for her as a "I love you" gift. Leave it on her car seat one day when she's going to work or where ever. I promise it will mean more to her that way anyhow. Women love that kind of stuff.
It will be the day she's running late. She'll be tired, irritable and just won't see the Kindle until after she sits on it and breaks the screen. Yep, great place to leave it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, get her a nook Touch, root it and then put the Kindle app on it. That was she'll have a reader that will display Kindle eBooks and is better then the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #53
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, get her a nook Touch, root it and then put the Kindle app on it. That was she'll have a reader that will display Kindle eBooks and is better then the Kindle.
Did you miss the part about how they've already had Nooks and returned them? Just askin'...

And yes, I know the Nook Touch is different.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #54
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Going by this list:

http://www.chiff.com/entertain/gifts-anniversary.htm

I'd say the Kindle (an "appliance?") is most fitting for a 4th or 8th anniversary. Or 47th.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #55
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Going by this list:

http://www.chiff.com/entertain/gifts-anniversary.htm

I'd say the Kindle (an "appliance?") is most fitting for a 4th or 8th anniversary. Or 47th.
I think it's just better to give someone what they want and not bother with all that.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #56
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did not like the Nook Touch ergonomics, weight, etc ...
Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #57
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If my wife asked for one, or said she'd like one, I can't imagine that it would be a bad gift.

I mean, I got my wife a new broom and bottle of pinesol for our 3/4 anniversary (got married on Leap Day, so one actual anniversary every 4 years) and I got relegated to the couch for a couple weeks. How was I supposed to know that when she said "We need Pinesol, and this broom sucks," she wasn't asking for them as gifts?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #58
jocampo
Layback feline

Well, she wants a blender too, hahahaha, but I won't give it one as wedding anniversary gift. Or she is gonna hit me on the head with it.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #59
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Well, she wants a blender too, hahahaha, but I won't give it one as wedding anniversary gift. Or she is gonna hit me on the head with it.
Smart Man!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #60
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:

Only if she is really into smoothies and you get her a Vitamix! Appliances can work, but they have to be high end. For Valentines Day, a regular grill, like the one that was replaced, wouldn't be a good gift, it would fall under household necessities. A high end grill, is a household item, but the gift of such an item, to someone who loves to grill as much as I do, is the added luxury of the upgrade.

So, if you bought her a Vitamix, which starts at 3 times the cost of a 3G Kindle, I can't imagine she would be disappointed.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote