Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Page numbers on Nook & ePub

I'm looking at the page numbers when reading on my Nook, and it seems that sometimes they change, sometimes they don't.

I can only assume that this means that the pages are not linked to the Nook screen. I don't know why that's irritating, but it is LOL.

Is that right?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The ePub format presents page numbers against a standard page length, so that the number remains consistent across all devices, regardless of screen size and the font size you are using.

This means that you will page forward through several screens before the page number increments (if the amount of text on your screen is less than an ePub standard page).

If you search these forums you'll find a lot of discussion of the benefits and disadvantages of this. I happen to like it as it gives me a consistent measure of how much is left to read, in a way that screen page numbers or percentage bars cannot do. However, many people dislike it.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I see what you mean. I'm of the other group I think. I would rather have it set so that the pages are equal to the device.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Okay, I see what you mean. I'm of the other group I think. I would rather have it set so that the pages are equal to the device.
Bear in mind that the pages wouldn't be equal to 'the device', they'd be calculated dynamically based on your current font size and page orientation. If you always read in portrait and never change the font size then you'd be fine, the numbers would remain consistent.

As I've got older eyes I tend to jump around between font sizes depending on the ambient light level and how tired I'm feeling, so I like it that my page numbers stay the same.

It's also useful if you need to let someone else know which page to check, or if you want to continue reading a section on your desktop from where you left off. (Hush, Kindle users, we haven't all got Whispersync!)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It's also useful if you need to let someone else know which page to check, or if you want to continue reading a section on your desktop from where you left off. (Hush, Kindle users, we haven't all got Whispersync!)

Graham
Oh I understand the reason behind it, but I don't read on my desktop, I can't stand it, nor do anyone that I know around me read e-books. So for me, it's not a big deal.

On a side note: So that's what whisper sync is...huh.