Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Whispernet issue

I have a strange problem which Amazon can't help with so I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas?

I have a 3G enabled Paperwhite which is mainly used with wifi. I tried to send a personal document using my @kindle.com email address and it was rejected. I received an email from Amazon advising me that 'We have not received a valid method of payment so we are unable to process your order for Personal Document Service (via Whispernet).Please update your payment information'. My kindle was connected to wifi at the time.

I've tried multiple customer service reps and spent over 2 hours on the phone so far and no one can explain a) what the email means or b) why the document was rejected.

When I changed my email address to free.kindle.com it arrived promptly. I've never had this issue before with the kindle.com email address over wifi.

The personal document was a mobi book purchased via an independent retailer that sends books to Kindle for me and I don't have the ability to amend the last part of my kindle address on their site so if it's the email address then I'll always have to download them to my pc first then email them, which would be a pain.

No one at Amazon can explain what I am supposed to do with the email, what settings I need to alter, or why Amazon ignored the the wifi connection on my Paperwhite. I already have the whispernet settings set for 20p which covers 1mb and the book was around 850kb, so within the parameters if the charge already authorised, although I was on wifi so whispernet shouldn't have been involved.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what's going on as Amazon are at a loss.

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-16-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I sideload mine. Never emailed ebooks.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I sideload mine. Never emailed ebooks.
I do as I read on an iPad out an about and my kindle at home, I use whispersync to keep the progress synced. I write reviews for a web site so it's easier having a iPad for traveling.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon charges .15 / megabyte to send personal documents via 3G, which you specified by the email address you used. Is your credit card info up to date, or do you have a gift card balance? If not, fix that. That's what the message was talking about, your credit card.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Amazon charges .15 / megabyte to send personal documents via 3G, which you specified by the email address you used. Is your credit card info up to date, or do you have a gift card balance? If not, fix that. That's what the message was talking about, your credit card.
Thanks Susan. My card is fine but my kindle is on wifi not 3G so charges should not be an issue. Amazon have now sent my issue to the tech guys as they say there seems to be a connectivity issue at their end.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use the xxx@kindle.com address, that is for 3G, if you have a 3G Kindle. If you use the free.kindle.com one, that will go to wi-fi.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
How about using the Send to Kindle app?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard

It's still going to charge the OP, if they use the 3G email address.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's still going to charge the OP, if they use the 3G email address.
But there is a deliver via wi-fi option button. There isn't an email address involved.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Internally, it would have to use the free.kindle.com address for wi-fi. I have never used Send to Kindle, so I didn't know if you had to set it up with your email addresses or if it was "smart" about them.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've used the regular, not free.kindle.com, address fine for WiFi in the past & don't get charged, unless downloading via 3G. I currently have my maximum charge for 3G set to $0 and the regular email address works fine WiFi only. The documentation for newer devices doesn't even mention the free.kindle address anymore IIRC so I'm not sure how required it is anymore like in the early days.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-17-2014 at 12:24 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Send to Kindle works fine. So does sending to the @free.kindle.com. The only problem is both of those options require me to download the book to my pc first, then send it on myself to my 3G kindle which is connected by wifi.

My issue is caused when I buy a book from a retailer such as Dreamspiner Press or AllRomance and use the faculties they have set up for them to send the book direct to my Kindle as they only use the @kindle.com address and I don't have the ability to change the address to insert the word 'free'.

Everything worked perfectly until a week ago so this is a recent development but Amazon has confirmed that using the @kindle.com address to send a book should not use whispernet if the kindle is conected via wifi.

Right now Amazon don't know what is going on as in their words 'it's a weird one'

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-17-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday I tested it out again using a book sent by both Dreamspinner and AllRomance, I had two different results (not very helpful I must admit)

Dreamspinner, their book sent to my @kindle.com address arrived as expected, generating no emails, notices or charges.

AllRomance, their book arrived but generated both an email and a notice on my kindle saying that as the book size would have generated a charger of 20p which is higher than the 1p I have set up (I can't set it a 0 anymore for some reason) it would be delivered via wifi and not 3G

At the time my kindle was only connected via wifi.

If anyone can make sense of the discrepancy between results they would be further on than I am, and even Amazon can't make any sense of it.