Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast
LightHouse Lady began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Cannot access Calibre remotely

Hi,
I am loving this program!! In Stanza I put in my computer's IP address and I can access my library with my ipod touch from home.

Now I am not home and tried to go to Get Books, Shared, and then my library. It does not work. I do have my computer on and Calibre is running.

Maybe it is not supposed to work unless I am in range of my own computer and wifi router?

I do appreciate the help.

LL
LightHouse Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Tomte
Tomte began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, iPod Touch (2G), Nokia N800
There is a router and possibly a firewall between your ipod touch and Calibre when you are accessing it away from home. When you're at home both the ipod touch and Calibre are on the same side of the router.

It's still possible access Calibre when away from home, but it will involve opening up ports on your router, and doing some port forwarding.
Tomte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Even if you do open up the ports, Stanza won't find your shared Calibre server automatically -- it uses UPnP to enumerate services on your current subnet, and you will be on a different subnet than your home server's IP address (this is by design, as you don't want people scanning entire internet when looking for a service).

That just means you'll have to add the catalog to Stanza manually once you get everything else set up.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
LightHouse Lady
Enthusiast
LightHouse Lady began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Thanks very much. I will just use it from home. I do appreciate your helping to understaqnd why it didn't work.

LL
LightHouse Lady is offline   Reply With Quote