Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
greeny
greeny began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
ePub to Mobi Format

Hi Guys, I've had a look around the site but can't seem to find what I want, so I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a Cybook and do love it to bits. I have recently read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton and thought they were brilliant. I would like to start his new trilogy but can only find the second book in ePub format (drm free from panmacmillan). I don't want to start the first book until I know I can get the second and third (when released) in a format I can use on the Cybook.
So, getting to the point, is there any software that can convert an ePub format to a mobipocket format so I can read it on my Cybook? If there is, can you give me a really good set of details of how to do it and where to get the software from?

Really appreciate any help you guys can give me
greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader can convert ePub to Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
greeny

Hi Harry T, Is this software that you can download from the Mobipocket site (The reader software that connects to you device?)
Many thanks for your help
Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Windows MobiPocket Reader does not go a very good job on ePub to MOBI conversion, it does not convert the table of contents for example, but it may be good enough.

Generally a better bet is Calibre (it has its own forum here), which has excellent conversion from ePub to MOBI and the Calibre team will actually fix bugs (MobiPocket has an incredibly long development cycle). I use Calibre's command line tools (oeb2mobi or any2mobi), but the GUI will also work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Hi Harry T, Is this software that you can download from the Mobipocket site (The reader software that connects to you device?)
Many thanks for your help
Yes, it is.
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Excuse, but isn't it more correct to use .prc when referring to mobipocket files? - or am I missing something....(isn't Mobi/MOBI something else?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I think they are both the same? But I could be wrong.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Modern versions of the Mobipocket Reader (such as the Gen3 has) are happy to accept either ".prc" or ".mobi" as the file extension, and files can be renamed from one extension to the other with no difference in functionality. Older versions of the Mobi reader would only accept ".prc", but they are still generally referred to as "Mobi" or "MobiPocket" files.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Excuse, but isn't it more correct to use .prc when referring to mobipocket files? - or am I missing something....(isn't Mobi/MOBI something else?)
The .prc filename extension refers to a particular kind of PalmOS file, which can contain a MobiPocket ebook or something else (if it is an ebook, it is usually a MOBI). Older MobiPocket ebooks were always in .prc files, but newer ones can be .prc or .mobi. From the wiki, see PRC and MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Thanks guys
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
greeny

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies, I think I shall give Calibre a go.